Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tom .p.

ZMA - help with acne & sleep?

I'm considering taking ZMA as I've heard it helps you to get a deeper sleep (I'm currently getting 9/10 hours a night and I think having a deeper sleep will meen I can sleep less?) and the zinc helps prevent acne.

Is there any truth in this - as these are two things that have been causing me distress lately. Also can it be used continuously with no negative side effects by a teenager?

Thanks.

ZMA is a combination of zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6. I would just take all those separately.

Zinc is proven to help acne but only slightly better than a placebo. You should take anywhere from 30-100mg of Zinc a day and I would recommend Opti-Zinc (Zinc Methionine).

Magnesium should help you relax and possibly sleep. I would recommend the glycinate or orotate form.

I do not take B6 I just get it from my B-Complex.

Try some melatonin if you want deeper sleep. It is naturally produced in the body but sometimes it is necessary to supplement with it. Only take it at night. Don't use it every night.

Search on the forums for more info.

Almost all ZMA products are the same. Sometimes they'll differ in the fillers though.

Anyway, you'll usually find them like this:

Zinc (as Monomethionine And Aspartate) 30mg

Magnesium (as Aspartate) 450mg

Vitamin B6 (As Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 10.5mg

All of the above is divided into 3 capsules.

My only issue with this supplement (as with most other supplements) is that the caps contain filler(s). Taking 3 caps a day is a lot of fillers (i can't stand magnesium stearate). Some companies add rice powder as a filler to their ZMA which i think is ridiculous as the rice powder will inhibit zinc absorption. If you're gonna take ZMA, find one without rice powder.

Anyway, ZMA is a good supp. Zinc, magnesium, and B6 are all synergists (they work together). There is definitely an advantage to taking these three together and not separately. Stay away from calcium or calcium-containing foods before taking ZMA, as calcium blocks zinc absorption. Just take it on an empty stomach.

Everyone's mineral profile is different, so it's impossible to say whether or not taking ZMA continuously would be bad for a teenager.

For instance, if the teenager is chronically low copper and calcium, it could be bad, considering zinc is an antagonist to both calcium and copper. The B6 greatly improves magnesium absorption, so you might even end up with a bad calcium/magnesium ratio.