Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShyGuyNJ

Guys: How do you deal with an oily looking face?

Not looking to make this a gender war, but I'm a 27 year old male and I was just wondering what other guys use to fight against an oily face.

I usually have a very oily/shiny looking face when I wake up in the mornings, and i try blotting it but but it seems like a half hour later it feels and looks oily/shiny again. It's getting kind of depressing seeing how I'm like 1 in a million with a oily/shiny face while everyone else has natural good looking, non-oily faces.

Give me some tips please, outside of the changing the diet (cause I know I should be eating more fruits and veggies, but I don't believe drinking a soda or two and having some pretzels is the reason my face looks flushed and oily during the day).

what acne products and moisturizers do you use?

sulfur products and any exfoliating product (salicylic acid, glycolic acid) ramped up my oil production. i have found that using a moisturizer enhances oiliness as well.

what acne products and moisturizers do you use?

sulfur products and any exfoliating product (salicylic acid, glycolic acid) ramped up my oil production. i have found that using a moisturizer enhances oiliness as well.

I use the Proactiv 3 Step Kit, which I think I'm gonna get rid of the Cleanser and Toner but keep the Renewing Lotion (the BP), unless there's a better regime you recommend.

I will honestly say that I never used any moisturizer, although I just got the Green Tea Moisturizer (which i probably won't get again because of the cost), so its too early to tell there.

Outside of this, I use the Clearsil Daily Face Wash, which is oil free.

Basically, I need help with my face looking like an oil slick, even after I try blotting it. Half an hour later it's back to where it was at before I blotted.

Also, my face has taken a mildly red complexion since I don't use anything outside of the Proactiv, although I try to use sunblock when at my job which is driving a truck so I'm always in the sun in some form (I do try to keep out of it as much as possible).

I believe that guy's have a different facial structure then women do, that's why I'm asking for a guy's opinion, to see how they deal with this. I sometimes get depressed about this, but I'm here now to try and get rid of my overly red and oily face. Please help (cause usually I don't ask people for help).

This a problem I've been actively searching for an answer to.

I am also a guy, with incredibly shiny / oily skin. I am acne free thanks to accutane, however my skin is in a very sad state even without the red marks.

I have tried many what they call 'mattifying' gels, creams, lotions. You name it. They all work horribly.

One product with potential is the Monistat Chafing Gel some people have mentioned. It's clear and completely unnoticable on a guy. It instantly reduces shine due to the way the particles in the gel refract light, giving an instant mattifying effect.

On the downside, the gel cannot get rid of the oil that is produced throughout the day, meaning for oily guys it may only work well for an hour or two. In addition sweat, water, and or facial contact will rub it off, leaving strange shiny patches on an otherwise normal looking face. It also itches for about 15 minutes if you get it in your eyes.

I have devised other methods of combating some of these downsides however I can't elaborate. I must get to work. I'll try to remember to check back here, but I think you should grab a tube of the gel as a good starting point.

Well all I can say has worked considerably well for me is Milk of Magnesia and Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion with SPF 15 and AHA+ for day treatment.

Along with having oil blotting sheets on hand all the time, this

is the ultimate combo for me.

I can't stand oily skin either.

Ultimately it comes down to diet changes to complete stabilize your oil production, which I am well on my way on.

Hope this helps. :D

Well all I can say has worked considerably well for me is Milk of Magnesia and Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion with SPF 15 and AHA+ for day treatment.

Along with having oil blotting sheets on hand all the time, this

is the ultimate combo for me.

I can't stand oily skin either.

Ultimately it comes down to diet changes to complete stabilize your oil production, which I am well on my way on.

Hope this helps. :D

You know, I have almost resigned the fact that the oil will never go away. I mean. I'm on accutane. This is as good as it's going to get in terms of lowering sebum production and my face is still a grease slick. I definitely feel for you and the original poster.

I am unconvinced diet has anything to do with it. I have changed my diet on numerous occasions to no effect, and of course there is the simple observation that people who eat just as bad if not worse than us have oil-free skin.

I have, and am continuing to expiriment with several different methods to curb the shine, to some degree of success. I don't really want to get into some of the crap I have put on my face to achieve this effect, (no makeup) however I did in fact achieve perfect, flawless matte skin. We're talking zero shine, even under scrutiny of a close light source. Of course it only lasted an hour or so, but it is a step in the right direction.

As a side note, I recently tried La Roche-Posay Effaclar Active Matte Moisturizer. At twenty dollars for one ounce, I can honestly say it's a waste of money if you have shiny, oily skin.

Hey guys. funny thing is that today i was looking for something for my oily face as well and i went to Sephora to speak to some of the "experts" out there and got some great info.

First, ill tell you a little about my skin.

Oily, shiny, especially on T Zone.

Acne Prone Skin

Blackheads on the nose

Use to use oil blotting sheets which worked but had to use it at least 3 times a day

Now i recently bought some stuff online and they came with samples, one of which was something called OC Eight Mattifying Gel. Works for eight hours and then some. I put it over my sunblock and im shiny free for the rest of the day.

Now i was going to buy the whole bottle (which is $40 for 1.6 oz) but then i was doing research and ended up at Sephora's store.

I ended up talking to one of the "experts" there and she told me the reason i get really oily and shiny is because my skin is dehydrated. So she told me what to do to take care of that which will in turn help me get become shine free. If you want to know more about what she said message me and ill fill you in.

She gave me a sample of something else that i really like as well from Peter Thomas Roth. Its called Max Anti-Shine Mattifying Gel by Peter Thomas Roth ($35.00 for 1 oz). I tried it in the store and was pretty blown away from the results. She put lotion on my hands and made them oily and shiny, then put some of the gel on her finger and poked my hand and you could visibly see the matte finish from where she poked me and all around was still shiny.

Ok so...

1. I've actually used the OC Eight for about 3 weeks now and i love the results ive been getting for sure.

2. I havent actually tried using the Peter Thomas Roth one on my face so im still unsure of it but it worked great on my hands. Im not sure how long it lasts for or if you need to reapply throughout the day. I think ill go back to Sephora tomorrow and try it out on my face.

Both products i think will work great for your situation so i definitely recommend them. Go to a Sephora store, if you have one near, and ask about the Peter Thomas Roth product. Both will last for a really long time so i think the money is worth is. I actually stretched the sample of OC Eight for 3 weeks and it was only i gram lol, and i still have some left. i think ill make it to 5 weeks.

Im still unsure of which product ill buy, the OC eight or the PTR, ill just wait to see tomorrow when i try the PTR.

Let me know if i you have questions.

Good luck

OC8 (aka OC Eight).

It's expensive but you have to trust me -- It's the BEST product out there for oily skin. Blotting sheets are great but like you said, they only work for half an hour (not to mention they're too small).

yea I might have to try this oc8 stuff out.

how well does it work?

like how long can you go for without having to blot?

yea I might have to try this oc8 stuff out.

how well does it work?

like how long can you go for without having to blot?

You can put OC 8 on in the morning and you should be fine for the rest if the day. Its suppose to last for at least eight hours. Try it out, put some on in the morning and throughout the day check yourself and see how long it will last for you.

Also, you use only a minimal amount. Seriously tho, i touch the gel with the tip of my index fingers nail and thats enough for my T Zone.

So i bought the Peter Thomas Roth mattifying gel over the OC 8 only because i had a few gift cards i used to purchase it at Sephora and i only paid $13 bucks out of my pocket. But both OC 8 and PTR work great.

Let me know how things work out for you.

I've never tried OC8, but I'm thinking of trying it to see how well it works in comparison to the product I use right now. I have VERY oily skin (the puddling kind), and am currently using DermaDoctor's Tease Zone. It's about the same price as OC8 - $35 with 3 day $2.95 shipping, or $35 with tax at Ulta stores. (Lately, I've just been getting it at Ulta instead of ordering, because I've been really bad about ordering before I run out, and can't afford to wait for it!) My skin gets oily fairly quickly, but this helps to keep the shine away. I very recently just bought vials of Zinc PCA from skinactives.com ($5 each), and found that dabbing it onto my face very gently before using the Tease Zone gel helps to control the oil for even longer. I've also just introduced pantethine into my regimen, and take two 300mg softgels three times daily. I have been doing that for about 5 days now and so far, my oil seems to have decreased, but that may be just a coincidence. I'll be updating on my progress.

I'm wondering if OC Eight is made by the same people who made Clinac OC. I used to buy Clinac OC before it was discontinued, and found that it wasn't as great as Tease Zone. Does anyone know?

Edited by oilmine

if oc 8 does work for 8 hours, i suspect the number of people who will report that is extremely small. but then again, it may depend on how oily your skin is.

I have the EXACT problem as the OP. An hour after a shower I can see pools of oil forming in my nose. My nose, forehead, hair, and even the inside of my ears get very oily, very quickly. My chest and back also get oily, but not as bad as my head.

The Clinac OC was OK, however, it was not 100% and obviously was not a cure.

I was on accutane for 6 months, and from about a week in, my skin was absolutely flawless. The oil production came to a stop. It felt incredible to not shower for a day and still not feel oily all over. I was very lucky with accutane, i had zero side effects and my skin was flawless.

About 2 months after accutane, my skin started to get oily again. My skin is still very oily, though less than before, and there has been a dramatic decrease in zits.

How do I deal with oily face? I keep a stack of napkins in my desk and blot my face about every hour. My skin never feels not oily.

Dermatologists do not prescribe accutane for oily skin, but as soon as i find a reputable online drug store, I'll take the risk and buy myself another course.

Well im on accutane right now, and its the only thing that has stopped the oil - it feels so great - im nearly a month in now and its working a treat for my skin.

Ok so an update on my skin.

Ive been on the peter Thomas Roth line for more than a month now and im loving the results.

I decided to treat my dehydrated skin instead of just trying to fix the excess oil on my face. So i decided to buy the Peter Thomas Roth VIZ 1000, the Max Anti Shine Mattifying Gel, and the Botanical Beads scrub. This is my regimen:

Morning, i wash with the scrub, put the VIZ 1000, sun block (Olay Sensitive Skin SPF 15), and Mattifying Gel.

Works all day, no shine...

Night, wash with the scrub again, put on VIZ 1000, and a moisturizer, and im all good.

I did this for a month and my skin looks amazing, ive been getting compliments on my skin from classmates and family members without them even knowing i was trying new products. My skin looks clearer, cleaner, hydrated, my wrinkles on my forehead and around my mouth have gone away.

Now i can go without using the Mattifying Gel since my skin is hydrated and my body isn't producing excess oil, which was my problem in the first lace.

Give it a try and let me know what your results are.

hv1788