Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Charlotte_89

don't know what to do

i finally gave in and bought a york food intolerance test

it came back positive (do they actually send *any* back negative?)

but it costs £240 (approx $397) to find out which foods are causing me problems

and i was all for it, but my dad and my doctor have both told me these tests are just money making scams and dangerous because if i stop eating certain things i could end up malnourished

i really dont know what to do

if i visit a nutritoinist the process could take months....

they took a tiny blood sample...is it even possible to detect intolerances through blood samples?

what should i do?

i only have 2 weeks to make my decision...

i finally gave in and bought a york food intolerance test

it came back positive (do they actually send *any* back negative?)

but it costs £240 (approx $397) to find out which foods are causing me problems

and i was all for it, but my dad and my doctor have both told me these tests are just money making scams and dangerous because if i stop eating certain things i could end up malnourished

i really dont know what to do

if i visit a nutritoinist the process could take months....

they took a tiny blood sample...is it even possible to detect intolerances through blood samples?

what should i do?

i only have 2 weeks to make my decision...

Just cut out dairy, gluten, and any processed junk if you have not already. Beyond that there aren't many intolerances besides nuts, tomatoes, and citrus fruits.

I'm in 2 minds whether to have one of these done or not as well, like you say alot of people think they are total bs....but then alot of people say acne is not related to diet don't they!!!

Until i decide I have just cut out the main offenders for acne like packerfan said dairy, gluten etc and will see how that goes.

I found a site http://www.foodintoleranceuk.com/ which does the tests alot cheaper than york if you want to try here :)

Just cut out dairy, gluten, and any processed junk if you have not already. Beyond that there aren't many intolerances besides nuts, tomatoes, and citrus fruits.

And soy, egg whites, peanuts, stone fruit and almonds, nightshades, bananas...

Oh I'm so confused. Thanks thesweatyfox I think I will go with that one instead, if I do. They're saying like, they can tell if you're intolerant by measuring the ammount of antibodies against certain foods in your blood? How do they do that, is it even possible? How do they know which antibodies are caused by which foods, surely everyone produces different ones?

Jumping Jacks should disentangle food intolerance for those in the suffering post puberty. Concentration of 20-30minutes daily will prove beneficial. =]

ayy seriously, how? please explain :]

Oh I'm so confused. Thanks thesweatyfox I think I will go with that one instead, if I do. They're saying like, they can tell if you're intolerant by measuring the ammount of antibodies against certain foods in your blood? How do they do that, is it even possible? How do they know which antibodies are caused by which foods, surely everyone produces different ones?

The presence of Antibodies only only indicates allergies but not other types of intolerances such as inability to digest some food substances like lactose.

I know how you feel Charlotte...I'm mega confused too! Its alot of money to throw down the drain if its not even something that we truely help!

The presence of Antibodies only only indicates allergies but not other types of intolerances such as inability to digest some food substances like lactose.

Ah thankyou. So does that mean that they can't tell specific intolerances by taking a blood sample? So in other words, it's a waste of money?

This sounds interesting, but expensive.

I have noticed an improvement in recent weeks when i have cut down all the sugar i was eating before. A little sugar is ok, but too much is not good for me.

Maybe you could try that before spending all that money on something so risky and might not help much anyway.

The best way to tell if you're allergic to a food, according to Dr. Joel Fuhrman M.D., is to go without it for 2 weeks, and then reintroduce it and see how it affects you. I wouldn't spend all that money. How about trying a limited diet for a couple weeks, and then reintroducing foods one at a time?

I agree with the others about the most common offenders. Also, more important than what you are eating is what you "aren't" eating. If you're not getting lots of cruciferous veggies in your diet, for example, then you're not doing one of the most powerful things that can help you, regardless of cutting out allergens or not. Take a look at my signature. Consider implementing some of the basic dietary advice given (it's well-researched, by the way, from credible, peer-reviewed sources) and see how you do before spending all that money.

Good luck!

The cheapest and, by far, the most effective way to determine food allergies is to go on an Elimination Diet. It's beyond the scope of this post for me to get into the science of it, but google "Elimination Diet" and read all about it.