Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
greg09

What would be best to lessen my scarring?

Hi all,

It's my 1st post here, have been reading through reams and reams of other people's posts these past few weeks but am still pretty baffled as to whether I or not I might be able to treat my acne scars. I had acne for ages but now that it has calmed down (still get pesky blackhead through - grrrr...) I would love to try to lessen my scars.

I'm not sure how bad on a scale of 1-10 my scars are, they look pretty bad on one cheek in particular to me - this is the cheek I photographed for the 3 photos attached here. The pics were taken in harsh-ish lighting indoors but they look worse when out in daylight outside. Sorry about not having a shave before hand, I hate shaving too often - I'm sure people here can guess why! Here's hoping I can grow a proper beard soon.

Anyway, I am considering trying a peel soon or perhaps dermarolling but I am not sure if they would help with my scarring which looks like ice picking to me, the weird thing is that I am not sure if my large pores help disguise them which isn't exactly what I want as I hate them almost as much as I hate the scars.

I would REALLY appreciate any advice as to what might work on my skin because I am still very unsure of what to try and don't want to risk damaging my skin needlessly if the treatment is the wrong one for me. I am not expecting 100% improvement and don't ever expect to get rid of my scars completely but to lessen them to a decent extent would make me very, very happy!

Many thanks for reading my nonsense

post-105817-1245431817_thumb.jpg

post-105817-1245431847_thumb.jpg

post-105817-1245431854_thumb.jpg

post-105817-1245431817_thumb.jpg

post-105817-1245431847_thumb.jpg

post-105817-1245431854_thumb.jpg

Sorry but here's one more photo taken directly under an indoor light that shows the poor skin texture. Most of the time it isn't as noticeable as this but when I see it like this it depresses me.

Sorry about my shaky hands when taking the photo!

post-105817-1245432945_thumb.jpg

post-105817-1245432945_thumb.jpg

Fraxel may help.

But just as a heads up, from the looks of it this is the type of scarring only you will notice.

your scarring looks pretty much like mine, i was thinking of taking 4x fraxerl threathments.

Basically you dont have that many scars, just enlarged pits

However i have some VERY WIDE scars which annoy me....

Hi greg09, I suggest you give Alpha hydrox oil-free treatment a try. It helped my scars previously but I was also trying out cellex c that time and couldnt use both in conjunction. I had used it for two weeks and had noticed a visible difference but i chose cellex c over it thinking that it would help my scars better. It does clog the pores a little but the aha content will diminish scars noticeably. Your scars are very similar to mine but i face a bigger challenge with two boxcar scars. Plantogen has a lovely moisturiser that you can use in conjunction-light moisture for oily and combination skin. Read about bioskincare and its scar minimizing claims, you might want to look it up, im curious but i have not tried it. Gd luck!

check the top thread for needling or see dens post on the devine beauty kit he is seeing good results, if they make you self concious then i think u should try and get rid of them, to be truthfull they dont look that bad in pic but if there affecting ur confidence go for it!

good luck whatever u choose

What scars?

Dont mean to sound rude but be grateful you dont have scarring like others on this site, it should put it into perspective for you going into the real scar gallery.

Go live you life.

meh I think we should avoid that kind of mentality. If something bothers someone then it bothers them.

Id suggest speaking to derms about the best treatment. You may get conflicting ones here tho I could be wrong.

You're barely scarred at all. I don't think anyone notices but you, but maybe a couple chemical peels would help. I'm three weeks into my acne treatment and its going really well, but i have areas of hyperpigmentation and my dermatologist has suggested this. I've read up on it and it really makes a difference in the texture, look and feel of your skin.

hi there i have ice pick scars and astrophic scars, i am due to have ablative c02 laser i am scarred wat should i do

Many thanks for the replies!

Firstly, to those who say that my scars aren't really that bad, I totally understand that my scarring isn't nearly as bad as some other unfortunate people. What I would say is that the photos don't really capture the scarring at its worst, it is much more noticeable in harsh lighting conditions but I understand people's reactions based on the photos.

The thing is that whilst I understand that I am fortunate in many respects, I had acne for over 15 years and I hated it and the scars, regardless of their severity, remind me of that horrible time. Yes, life could be much worse but if possible I'd like to lessen the scarring if possible in the same way that people who have suffered with acne want rid of it full stop, not to one day be able to walk around with mild acne forever. I feel shallow saying that kind of rubbish but I am just being honest. I agree with many people here that we all get far too hung up on our external flaws and other people very, very, very rarely care about them in the same way that we do but I'm just looking for some advice in case one day I decide to try to tackle my, albeit mild, scarring.

Thanks again.

Hi greg09, I suggest you give Alpha hydrox oil-free treatment a try. It helped my scars previously but I was also trying out cellex c that time and couldnt use both in conjunction. I had used it for two weeks and had noticed a visible difference but i chose cellex c over it thinking that it would help my scars better. It does clog the pores a little but the aha content will diminish scars noticeably. Your scars are very similar to mine but i face a bigger challenge with two boxcar scars. Plantogen has a lovely moisturiser that you can use in conjunction-light moisture for oily and combination skin. Read about bioskincare and its scar minimizing claims, you might want to look it up, im curious but i have not tried it. Gd luck!

I am always sceptical about the ability of creams to diminish scars as i don't really understand how they could do this in reality. Is it not more of a short-term improvement like a light peel for example?

Apparently Tazorac stimulates collegen production in the skin and can heal scars.

I've tried peels, they don't work-for me. Improvements with peels are short-term yes thus you have to do peels every three months for maintenance after the initial twice a month. If you speak to doctors, they'll inform you that peels are beneficial if you want to achieve a fairer skin tone or to combat oiliness, not for scars. Peels improve scars only very superficially. The doctors I consulted have recommended spectra peel laser, fraxel or co2 fractional laser for scars. I went for the co2 fractional laser but the improvement is slight and my scars went back to the same size after some time. But don't trust me on that, you can give 'em a try, who knows they might work for you.

Glycolic acid(Alpha hydroxy acids) are widely and commonly used as a exfoliater to reduce fine lines, slough off dead cells and to refine skin texture(scars) and it's more of a permanent treatment than peels. It would be good if you read up on glycolic acid, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, organic stuff and lasers to best decide on your choiced treatment for scars. If you want to lessen your scars to a decent extent, i think alpha hydrox is a gd option. AHA certainly helped my scars and benzoyl peroxide helped too.

I like the way you put it on how one may come across as shallow and hung up over external flaws but scars are still scars, thought not as unsightly as how some unfortunate people have it but they make us feel bad nevertheless. I have people telling me the same thing, facial therapists and friends tell me they are really not noticeable but I think they are, I think they are ugly and I hope people dont notice 'em when i have makeup on and till they are improved, i wouldnt feel that good about my face if you know what I mean. Gd luck.

I've tried peels, they don't work-for me. Improvements with peels are short-term yes thus you have to do peels every three months for maintenance after the initial twice a month. If you speak to doctors, they'll inform you that peels are beneficial if you want to achieve a fairer skin tone or to combat oiliness, not for scars. Peels improve scars only very superficially. The doctors I consulted have recommended spectra peel laser, fraxel or co2 fractional laser for scars. I went for the co2 fractional laser but the improvement is slight and my scars went back to the same size after some time. But don't trust me on that, you can give 'em a try, who knows they might work for you.

Glycolic acid(Alpha hydroxy acids) are widely and commonly used as a exfoliater to reduce fine lines, slough off dead cells and to refine skin texture(scars) and it's more of a permanent treatment than peels. It would be good if you read up on glycolic acid, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, organic stuff and lasers to best decide on your choiced treatment for scars. If you want to lessen your scars to a decent extent, i think alpha hydrox is a gd option. AHA certainly helped my scars and benzoyl peroxide helped too.

I like the way you put it on how one may come across as shallow and hung up over external flaws but scars are still scars, thought not as unsightly as how some unfortunate people have it but they make us feel bad nevertheless. I have people telling me the same thing, facial therapists and friends tell me they are really not noticeable but I think they are, I think they are ugly and I hope people dont notice 'em when i have makeup on and till they are improved, i wouldnt feel that good about my face if you know what I mean. Gd luck.

Many thanks for your response once again, I will definitely look into what you have said. As for the emotional effects of scarring as time goes on I find myself caring less and less about my appearance in that respect as nobody I speak to ever seems to care about the scars at all.

Thanks again!

U are welcome. Woah that was fast considering how one day ago you had proclaimed on how u wanted to lessen your scarring and a lil contradicting if i may say so since you set up this thread to seek scarring treatments. im glad this thread has done good and you have come around to realise that scars are no biggie. Cheers

All I am saying is that I am not that hung up on them like I used to be, still hate them and want to lessen them but I can walk, talk, hear, see etc... so my life can't be all that bad!