Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plainjane83

vegan / eco-friendly acne products / techniques

Hi everyone,

I made this post so we could share info on animal-friendly (and while we're at, earth-friendly) acne products. I'm pretty disturbed at the many discussions of emu oil and shark-based squalene on this site. We're all acne sufferers, and we all understand the pain, but *please* remember that there is animal suffering behind emu oil and shark squalene.

I also don't use honey, since yes, I consider even bee farming to be unnecessarily cruel (no, getting the honey doesn't kill the bees, but they're inevitably harmed along the way and are killed at the end).

So, on the positive side...........there are LOTS of vegan/earth-friendly products out there. Here's what I've had some success w/:

Dr. Bronner's Peppermint (or Baby Mild, or Citrus, or Tea Tree) Castille Soap (diluted, and I also add tea tree oil)

Collective Well-being's Detox Soap --I've only used this a few days, so i still need time to determine whether it's working but so far, so ok.

Rhassoul Clay (got in the bulk section of my health food store)

Lemon Juice

Organic ACV (quit because I can't stand the smell, but it seemed to help a little bit)

French Green Clay (also bulk section)

Oatmeal Mask

*Organic Blackstrap Molasses* -- I've tried substituting this for honey in masks, and it seems to work quite well. It's not constitutionally similar to honey, but I just thought I'd sub it since they're of similar consistentcy, and OBM has lots of nutrients in it. A lemon juice / molasses mask really seems to calm my acne. Not an overnight miracle, but after a few uses (every other day or so), i started seeing a difference. I no longer do this regularly because of time issues, but i'll probably return to it someday.

zinc picolinate supplements --these have helped me. I believe vegetarians/vegans are frequently zinc deficient.

crushed flax seeds (or flax seed oil) -- I think this at least helps my skin texture a bit. probably my complexion as well, i haven't seen a radical change, but I continue to take it for my overall health, if nothing else.

A daily multi -- again no miracle cure, but it can't hurt, right? I think it helps somewhat.

B-complex -- same as above

Now to the personal confessions: I'm back on retin-a. And I've started a topical anti-bioti (ery 2%). Sigh. I dont think either of these has animal p roducts in it, but both for my and the earth's sake, I try to avoid nasty chemicals. But. After nearly *2* (yes, two) years of nothing but experimentation with natural products, I've concluded that i have simply inherited very persistent acne, and I'm not going to outgrow it anytime soon (I'm 26, it started at age 12/13). Zinc supplements help; regular clay and/or oatmeal masks help (over time, they help, not right away of course), Dr. Bronner's w/ added essential oils can keep things less nasty than they might be, and surely destressing and eating lots of veggies helps. But even doing all these things together, the acne's still there--lots of angry red ones, plus a sea of blackheads--my skin doesn't feel *that* oily, but even so, something's going wrong beause thick, hard yellow crap fills every one of my pores, causes scarring when extracted.

Hey plainjane83,

Thanks for the list of products. I second the Dr. Bronner's Peppermint.

Please don't get upset about what I am about to say, but I just want to make a point. If you are going to exclude products such as honey & emu oil for the cruelty to animals - which I completely understand and support your view to some extent- wouldn't you as well exclude prescription medications? Prescription medications are required by the Federal Government to be tested on animals during the preclinical testing phase in order to move on to the clinical testing phase where they are then given to humans.

But I do understand if what you were getting at was that even by not buying & using products such as shark-based squalene, we can at least save a few animals from suffering by doing our small part.

LQP, your font color is too blinding! I could hardly read it.

Tea Tree Oil soap from Trader Joe's. It's natural, and that's what I use as my everyday cleanser. It's also only $1.60 for a pack of two soaps. One soap lasts me about a month.

Please don't get upset about what I am about to say, but I just want to make a point. If you are going to exclude products such as honey & emu oil for the cruelty to animals - which I completely understand and support your view to some extent- wouldn't you as well exclude prescription medications? Prescription medications are required by the Federal Government to be tested on animals during the preclinical testing phase in order to move on to the clinical testing phase where they are then given to humans.

But I do understand if what you were getting at was that even by not buying & using products such as shark-based squalene, we can at least save a few animals from suffering by doing our small part.

Yeah, that's a good point. I am aware that prescription meds are animal-tested, and I'm against testing. However, I think this is at least a very complicated issue. Since right now the FDA requires animal testing, to avoid animal-tested products you'd have to avoid all med prescriptions....... but I'm not about to forgo all prescribed medication. In the case of acne, things are different because acne doesn't kill you and for at least some people, non-prescription stuff can help. But non-prescription stuff has just not helped me and I've decided that my moderate to severe adult acne is sufficiently psychologically difficult for me, that I should deal w/ it if I can.

So, I suppose my view right now is that animal lovers should actively oppose FDA-mandated animal testing but should *not* deprive themselves of needed meds--I've decided I need anti-acne meds, along w/ my birth control and anti-depressants, but I know some would disagree that those things are necessities.

One more thing--at least tretinoin is now available in a generic form--I *believe* this means that the company that makes my generic retin-a didn't actually conduct animal tests itself. Also, it's not a new-generations tretinoin, just the classic tretinoin cream so I'm *hoping* that means that they've haven't done any new tests since it was originally approved back in the day.

This might all just be justification for something I"m doing, but anyway, I do think it's complicated.

This sort of seems contradictory. If you are opposed to hurting emus, sharks and bees for oils...why not be opposed to any form of medication that has been tested on mice and probably tortured the hell out of a lot of them - a fate far worse than death if the medications create adverse affects. By buying a product that has been animal tested, despite when, you are being supportive of animal testing.

That, and organic bee farms don't harm bees at all...nor do they kill them, so if you buy raw, organic honey, the bees live pretty normal lives with the exception that their honey is stolen from them!

You don't need acne medication, birth control and you CERTAINLY don't need those crappy anti-depressants! (assuming it's not because of some sort of uncontrollable brain defect). You simply feel deeply compelled to get these things because not having a medication to control your acne might make you self concious and so forth. I use birth control too...but I don't claim to absolutely NEED it. And if you're on an anti-depressant for, indeed, some form of clinical depression...stop. All it does is make you dependent and without therapy or learning how to reform your thinking patterns and behaviors, it doesn't help in the long run. Studies show that people who just use anti-depressants without attempt at therapy or changing mental habits, are more likely to have a relapse.

I do like your other acne suggestions: lemon juice and stuff, I hear, is great. Though I'd still say honey is a pretty good thing to use as long as it's organic and raw - which not only is bee friendly, but is also better for your skin!

Guest veganwithacne

Hi I wanted to bump this topic. I am vegan an just joined. I am experiencing an awful breakout right now after going off of birth control (yes, I know it is not vegan). Birth control never cleared my skin up completely, but it did help. I decided to stop taking because it was causing depression and mood problems.

I used to use Dr. Bronner's baby castille soap, but just recently switched to Dr. Woods Black Soap. It is mild and makes my skin soft, but no sign of clearing up yet. I am also using Dickinson's witch hazel as a toner. I use Desert Essence Daily Essential Facial Moisturizer. I use jojoba oil to remove mineral makeup when I wear it.

I am looking for a gentle vegan facial scrub, if anyone can recommend one.

I will keep you updated if I have any success with the Dr. Woods

Hi everyone,

I made this post so we could share info on animal-friendly (and while we're at, earth-friendly) acne products. I'm pretty disturbed at the many discussions of emu oil and shark-based squalene on this site. We're all acne sufferers, and we all understand the pain, but *please* remember that there is animal suffering behind emu oil and shark squalene.

I also don't use honey, since yes, I consider even bee farming to be unnecessarily cruel (no, getting the honey doesn't kill the bees, but they're inevitably harmed along the way and are killed at the end).

So, on the positive side...........there are LOTS of vegan/earth-friendly products out there. Here's what I've had some success w/:

Dr. Bronner's Peppermint (or Baby Mild, or Citrus, or Tea Tree) Castille Soap (diluted, and I also add tea tree oil)

Collective Well-being's Detox Soap --I've only used this a few days, so i still need time to determine whether it's working but so far, so ok.

Rhassoul Clay (got in the bulk section of my health food store)

Lemon Juice

Organic ACV (quit because I can't stand the smell, but it seemed to help a little bit)

French Green Clay (also bulk section)

Oatmeal Mask

*Organic Blackstrap Molasses* -- I've tried substituting this for honey in masks, and it seems to work quite well. It's not constitutionally similar to honey, but I just thought I'd sub it since they're of similar consistentcy, and OBM has lots of nutrients in it. A lemon juice / molasses mask really seems to calm my acne. Not an overnight miracle, but after a few uses (every other day or so), i started seeing a difference. I no longer do this regularly because of time issues, but i'll probably return to it someday.

zinc picolinate supplements --these have helped me. I believe vegetarians/vegans are frequently zinc deficient.

crushed flax seeds (or flax seed oil) -- I think this at least helps my skin texture a bit. probably my complexion as well, i haven't seen a radical change, but I continue to take it for my overall health, if nothing else.

A daily multi -- again no miracle cure, but it can't hurt, right? I think it helps somewhat.

B-complex -- same as above

Now to the personal confessions: I'm back on retin-a. And I've started a topical anti-bioti (ery 2%). Sigh. I dont think either of these has animal p roducts in it, but both for my and the earth's sake, I try to avoid nasty chemicals. But. After nearly *2* (yes, two) years of nothing but experimentation with natural products, I've concluded that i have simply inherited very persistent acne, and I'm not going to outgrow it anytime soon (I'm 26, it started at age 12/13). Zinc supplements help; regular clay and/or oatmeal masks help (over time, they help, not right away of course), Dr. Bronner's w/ added essential oils can keep things less nasty than they might be, and surely destressing and eating lots of veggies helps. But even doing all these things together, the acne's still there--lots of angry red ones, plus a sea of blackheads--my skin doesn't feel *that* oily, but even so, something's going wrong beause thick, hard yellow crap fills every one of my pores, causes scarring when extracted.

African Black soap (I get mine from ).

Guest veganwithacne

Thanks for the recommendation cupcake : )

BUT BEWARE 100% Pure line does contain some vegan products, but also labels products with honey as vegan :mad::evil:

vegans please read ingredients before purchasing : )

I am writing them an email to let them know bees are animals too. Other than that their ingredients look natural and lovely