Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtt85

Maintenance Doses of Accutane

So I know a lot of people here do small to VERY small "maintenance doses" of Accutane after they finish their treatment. Some people do 10 mg/day, and I've heard some people do as low as 10 mg/week.

Are there still side effects with this low dosage? Do you still have to be careful in the sun? I know when on Accutane, you are not supposed to have any skin procedures (like laser treatments, waxing etc.) done for 6 months after your last pill. Does this include maintenance doses, meaning even on very low doses, you could not have laser treatments, waxing, etc.?

So I know a lot of people here do small to VERY small "maintenance doses" of Accutane after they finish their treatment. Some people do 10 mg/day, and I've heard some people do as low as 10 mg/week.

Are there still side effects with this low dosage?

Yes.

Do you still have to be careful in the sun?
Yes.

I know when on Accutane, you are not supposed to have any skin procedures (like laser treatments, waxing etc.) done for 6 months after your last pill. Does this include maintenance doses, meaning even on very low doses, you could not have laser treatments, waxing, etc.?
Yes! Absolutely no invasive procedures when on any dose of Accutane at all. The warning label states nothing about dose, it states do not do invasive procedures while on Accutane.

I'm on 10mg every other day. Here's my answers!

Are there still side effects with this low dosage?

Yes, but hardly any. My lips are a little dry and my hair is less oily (and very soft!)

Do you still have to be careful in the sun?

Yes but I still go out in it (can't avoid it, it's the summer, and I'm hawwwwwt in a bikini, lol). I carry a mini spray bottle of sunscreen with me everywhere.

Does this include maintenance doses, meaning even on very low doses, you could not have laser treatments, waxing, etc.?

I haven't risked it. I'm sure some people do but I don't want patches of skin ripped off cuz I wanted to wax. I went to costco & bought a huge pack of razors, ;)

Thanks for the answers, guys.

So did all of you begin your maintenance dose immediately after finishing your course of regular dosage or what?

So did all of you begin your maintenance dose immediately after finishing your course of regular dosage or what?

I did my second (low dose as well) about a year after. This time is about 3 years later but I'm really not on it for actual acne this time. THAT issue (cysts & active spots) I can happily say is gone :)