Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So anyway, I'm 23/M, I've always had mild to moderate acne...went on 20 mg of Accutane for 3 months, then upped it to 40 mg for the following 3, and since then, my acne was fairly mild. But a year and a half later, I've began getting cysts all over my cheeks/jawline. I tried to figure out why, and couldn't. I tried Vitamin B5, eliminating dairy from my diet, washing my pillowcase every week, using only clean towels on my face, avoided touching my face etc... I tested pretty much every possible theory over the last month with no luck, as I still kept developing new cysts.

So anyway, I take the Acne "Quiz" on the home section of the site, and it asks if I've increased my calorie intake recently. Why yes I have. I've been eating more, trying to eat high protein foods to help build muscle after workouts. I've been lifting about 5 days/week, and this quiz tells me that when people try to "bulk up" it causes a change in their androgen/hormone levels, causing acne.

With nothing else helping, that leaves me fairly certain my new routine is causing acne. So how long will this last? I started taking 20 mg/Accutane again, will this help? Or will my hormones simply "overpower" it?

I can only guess you have some sort of allergy/intolerance with the steps you took and still getting cysts. And working out 5 days a week isnt bad as long as you have a good split and aren't isolating body parts more than once a week in my opinion. (except legs) I find 4 days a week is best.

I don't think it should be bad for you if you train with weights ever other day and then take a cardio day (like running or whatever) in between. Also if you are taking any supplements or shakes to bulk up, see if that's the cause.

Don't work out 5 days a week. You gain muscle while resting and you aren't giving yourself enough recovery time.

he is 100% right.... also, do the compound lifts like squat, deadlift, bench press, OH press, rows, chinups... stuff like that gets you the biggest the fastest, and try to eat lean protein like eggs and stuff.

Don't work out 5 days a week. You gain muscle while resting and you aren't giving yourself enough recovery time.

he is 100% right.... also, do the compound lifts like squat, deadlift, bench press, OH press, rows, chinups... stuff like that gets you the biggest the fastest, and try to eat lean protein like eggs and stuff.

lol.........

theres nothing wrong with a 5 day split.

over-training is pretty hard to do. and im sure the op isn't working the same muscle groups every day of those 5 days..

Interesting, this post.

on freeacnebook.com, the material talks about how "dirty protein" is essentially the cause of acne, and by eliminating it, you eliminate your acne. This essentially refers to any proteins that are cooked, so according to Wai, raw fish (sashimi) and raw egg yolk is okay.

For me, cutting out meat and dairy helped... I presume you haven't tried cutting meat? If you have increased your protien intake, that would be very much in line with what Wai says.

Perhaps try getting your protein more from raw food (nuts, raw egg yolk, sashimi), and less from meat and... whatever it is you're taking.

Were you on some sort of protein supplements? Particularly ones that use Whey?

I agree w/the 3 day week reply. I have been lifting for over 5 yrs and have done many different routines.

Anyway he's more concerned with acne not a training regimen.

Someone made a reply about cutting out meat.I gave up red meat over 3 yrs ago and it did nothing to improve my acne..actually it has got worse. I only eat chicken, turky and fish.

Watch you sugar intake, thats a big cause for pimples.

people say 'creatine' does not cause acne, but i have tried it 6 different times, different types and it makes me break out every time, not sure if your supplementing with that.

I'm on accutane and that will make the pimples go away..give it some time.

This subject fits my current situation very well.

25/M 170lb.

I've been working out for about 6 months now (at least 5 times a week) and I have some insight. At first when i started working out, my acne did indeed seem to get worse. However, after a few months into working out and having a regular healthy diet routine, my acne seemed to kind of subside. I was no longer eatting fast foods, soda, etc. Just trying to be healthy all around and build muscle while losing body fat. SO I guess I'm NOT "bulking up," but I happened upon this post so I'll post newayz..

I have really really oily skin (and still have some acne), so about a month ago I started taking accutane (30mg daily). One thing I want to point out, is I got weaker while on accutane. Going into the 2nd week of accutane, I could not lift nearly as much as I used to 2 weeks before. (for example, I used to put up 90lb x 6 dumbbells bench (3-4th set), and now I struggle with 85lbs x 5). This has been consistent with everything I lift. Strange. I still workout, but I try not to lift TOO heavy. Another thing I want to mention is I do get the occasional muscle and joint pains, but if I do, I don't stress that part of the body. I stretch out for like 15min before I workout, and that seems to help with the soreness. I have been taking a NO shotgun (GREAT SUPPLEMENT) and kre-alkalyn buffered creatine, but I haven't felt the effects of the creatine because I started taking accutane a few weeks after starting creatine.

if you're bulking up, or even working out, you're naturally increasing your androgren levels, and getting that testosterone pumping. I think that will make your acne flare as your hormonal levels are all out of whack as your body is going through changes.

I want to say something to those people who say don't workout 5 times a week. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. If I'm incredibly sore, find it hard to move, etc., I don't workout. If I'm OK, I'm OK. my routine: chest/tri, back/bi, legs/shoulders. rinse and repeat (that's on average 6 days straight, then rest). abs almost everyday. 30min cardio after weightlifting (sometimes). if i'm really sore, i still go to the gym and do some cardio. When I tell people I'm at the gym for like 2-3hours everyday, they think I'm stressing myself out too much. I may be a little fatigued, but I function fine throughout the day, and I see the same big people at the gym everday. So I'm not the only one working out like crazy. It is how devoted I am to trying to get that hot bod. =P

In a few months, I hope I'm acne free and have a hot bod. LoL!!

Someone made a reply about cutting out meat.I gave up red meat over 3 yrs ago and it did nothing to improve my acne..actually it has got worse. I only eat chicken, turky and fish.

Watch you sugar intake, thats a big cause for pimples.

I stopped eating beef and pork (basically all red meat) for years myself (not for acne though)... I know that that alone didn't seem to have a big effect on me. The thing that I discovered about the proteins though was interesting. When I cut *all* meat, (yes that means fish and probably eggs too) and dairy, then that gets rid of the "dirty protein".

I wish I knew more about how this affected different body types, but I know that going on the Wai diet cleared me up completely. Initially I ate no grain at all (I had been reading about how a low GI diet helps, but that alone didn't do much for me). When I cut all cooked meat and all dairy, it cleared up.

That was really hard though - but now I've discovered that I seem to be able to have grain as much as I want, and as much sugar as I want and that doesn't cause flare ups for me. I've been free of acne for weeks now, basically, except when I had some cooked fish for two days in a row, and for the next three or four days i had pimples all over my body, even though I wasn't eating most grains, and sugar and most other things that could be construed as unhealthy.

That's when I made the connection... and it fits perfectly with Wai's freeacnebook.

Granted, this might not apply to other people the same way it does to me, but it's worth investigating. I suspect that the OP increased the intake of proteins that are problematic. Ideally, proteins should come from raw food, and raw nuts, but it does take a lot of experimentation to get it nailed down as to what affects an individual.

Maybe someday we as a civilization will understand nutrition and acne more, and we'll be able to run some straightforward tests to determine exactly how different foods and chemicals affect our body, then be able to avoid the things that cause us problems, and have more of the things that make us healthy and strong... until then it takes a lot of reading and experimentation on one's own, it seems.

lol.........

theres nothing wrong with a 5 day split.

over-training is pretty hard to do. and im sure the op isn't working the same muscle groups every day of those 5 days..

Over training is more widespread than you think. I see no need to train five days a week unless you are a competitive athlete and are using many supplements to up your recovery time. You can easily do all the good compounds in three days.