Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all,

I'm a 24 year old female who used Proactiv for two years with great results until about 10 months ago. The Proactiv stopped working, I broke out not only all over my face but my back as well. This shit is depressing! Especially after being clear for two years.

I started using the Regimen about three-four weeks ago, my forehead had hard little zits with a few larger red ones which has cleared up, and I'm almost totally clear on my cheeks and nose. Now I've got this hormonal acne at the bottom of my face, from ear to ear, below my jawline and all over my chin. Oh it's just the worst!

It was beginning to clear up, or so I thought, until two weeks ago I hurt my back and was stressed for about a week over it, physically and mentally (stuck inside, couldn't work, couldn't do anything). I stopped yoga and cardio exercise to heal my back. Now I'm ready to get back into it but my acne seems to be worse. Could this have anything to do with it? My questions are:

-Are there any steps I should be taking in addition to the Regimen? I'm using Aveeno Ultra-Calming facewash, the Benzoyl Peroxide from Acne.org and Aveeno Ultra-Calming moisturizer with SPF15 - I'd use Acne.org's but theirs does not have SPF in it. Should I be adding a step like AHA to my regimen now or would that be bad for this kind of acne?

- I know exercise can really help to reduce stressful hormones that cause acne. But besides exercise, yoga, meditation and a good diet, anything else you can suggest a person do to reduce acne related to stress and hormones?

-What foods do you suggest cutting out? I'm a vegetarian but I have a thing for dairy, I'm trying to cut back on that...

Yeah I'm going to cut down on dairy, I can't figure out why this is all in one concentrated place on my chin! I look in my handheld mirror and avoid showing lower than my mouth, hah!

Any thoughts anyone???

You say you've only been on the regimen for about a month, so I wouldn't be too worried about this breakout. Some areas take longer to clear than others. For me, my forehead and chin cleared up almost immediately, but my cheeks, which have historically been the clearest part of my face, are still struggling, as is the area around my mouth (it's so attractive to have zits outlining your lips ... lol :D ) I've been on for almost exactly a month. We're only halfway through what can be considered a real "trial" of the regimen! Before you try adding in other products, give it some time.

You are right that stress can really exacerbate acne, but this might just a result of your recent injury and subsequent stresses! Once you've been on the regimen longer, perhaps stress will no longer affect your face. I've read from longtime regimen users that it happens ...

Hi guys,

I have been searching around the boards for a bit to see if there was much useful info on hormonal acne. The most interesting thing I found was a log by a chick who was doing a lot of specific stuff. I thought maybe my thread could help people who just want to know if the regimen works for this kind of hormonal acne. I'll tell you what I'm doing and include pictures every so often (hopefully when I see some progress). As explained above, the rest of my face has cleared, but now I have terrible jaw/chin acne. I'm sick of this shit! So here's my regimen:

Morning

-Cetaphil cleanser (for all skin types, sensitive skin)

-Acne.org benzoyl peroxide - one pump (or a little less in the morn)

-Aveeno moisturizer (for sensitive skin)

Evening

-Cetaphil cleanser

-Acne.org BP - one pump

-and every other day either Aveeno Moisturizer or acne.org's AHA+

I was exercising daily, at least 60 minutes of hard cardio, 30 mins of yoga, but stopped when I hurt my back. I'm fine now but haven't gotten back into it. I believe not exercising is one of the reasons my jaw has broken out so bad these past few weeks.

It seemed to be clearing up for a while, but seems like new ones have popped up. What a bummer! I hope that's it, I hope this isn't a repeating cycle.

I know I'm not supposed to be adding the AHA+, but it seems to help me, I think that's why the rest of my skin has cleared up. If anyone thinks it's likely causing more harm on the bottom part of my face than it is helping, please let me know! I'd also appreciate if you have something to back that up, I've been wondering if it's too harsh for this kind of acne. See my photos, I've never had it this bad before. At least not in years. So depressing, I try not to think about it except when I accidentally touch it during the day and it starts to hurt. Ay yi yi!

Also, another question: Is the max 2 full pumps per day? Or 2 full pumps per application (so 4 full pumps a day).

post-104039-1245797543_thumb.jpg

post-104039-1245797550_thumb.jpg

post-104039-1245797543_thumb.jpg

post-104039-1245797550_thumb.jpg

Okay, questions about fish oil:

-Will I stink like fish? Sorry if that's a stupid question.

-I'm a vegetarian, which is why I've been avoiding it. Any other options? Flax seeds?

-What if I start taking it, once I'm clear, could I stop and continue with the regimen?

-Do they come in pill form?

ALSO:

I just switched from Aveeno foaming cleanser for sensitive skin, to this Cetaphil, hoping it would make me less dry. Any thoughts on the one vs the other? Not sure if the cleanser is too important, as long as it gets me clean...

Fish oil isn't the answer.

I don't know what is, but that isn't.

Dan's AHA made me break out--pre-Regimen break out. Maybe you should hold off on using that for a while.

I still get hormonal spots--3 max at a time though.

I'm using moisturizer, twice a day at least (if I get flakey I put more on). I'll hold off on AHA+

Are you touching your chin or resting your chin/face on your palm throughout the day? I know I do...if you do, make sure your hands are clean at all times. You might also consider changing your pillowcase more often just to be sure.

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions, I'd love to hear more. I have been keeping my hands off my face as often as possible, definitely not touching it as much as I used to when I had clearer skin. Starting last week I began to change my pillowcase every two days, one day on one side of the pillow, the next day on the other side of the pillow and then change. I even try to sleep with my jaw off the pillow so I'm not spreading the bacteria around. Still doesn't seem to be getting better but I can't just give it a few days, I guess I'm used to seeing quick results that keep my positive. I'm trying to stay positive here, it's getting me down!!

Oh i just thought about it are you on any type of birth control pills or maybe mirena, because if you say it is hormonal then that could definitely be a factor.

As for the gym:

1. do you wipe your sweat every so often with a towel while doing cardio?

2. do you wipe your hands w/ the wipes or apply antibacterial gel after using any of the machines or after using a yoga mat?

I'm on ortho tri cyclen lo, and have been for about 10 years, so I'm not sure it has anything to do with the pills this time. It's just so random how horribly I've broken out and I'm freaking out because it seems like there isn't an end in sight (aka in the next two weeks like I had hoped). I'd be completely alright with this if someone could said "you'll be all clear in two or three weeks!" Haha yeah right I wish I had that peace of mind.

When I go to the gym I do pat down (not wipe) my face a lot with a towel. I don't touch my skin at all with my hands when I'm at the gym and usually shower within a half hour of getting home. I'm starting back at the gym today and I'm hoping getting in some exercise will relieve some of this stress. Anyone know any other causes of hormonal acne?

I guess other things to ask:

- how long have you been using the Aveeno moisturizer and maybe its not agreeing with you...I use the same moisturizer and I like it, but I don't use it at night. I noticed that you do. I'm not sure how the sunscreen ingredient affects the skin if left on all night, know what i mean.

- what are the patterns of your breakouts in relation to your period.

I've been using the Aveeno Moisturizer since November of 2008. The first week I used it I couldn't believe the difference it made (I was using Pro-activ at the time). I was clear for a while. Do you think I should use Dan's moisturizer at night (I have some of that)

Since this is the first time I've had hormonal acne like this, I can't really judge when the breakouts come in relation to my period. But I'll keep an eye on it this time and see if I get another flare up.

good idea dropping the AHA in that area, youll begin to see big improvements.. avoid anything with salysylic acid, AHA, benzoyl peroxide, isopryl alcohol, etc. in that area for now, stick with moisturizer see if it goes down.

adam, you are so unhelpful...why do you troll the acne.org regimen forums if u are so opposed to the use of products! you are aware that these forums are dedicated to offering advice on the use of acne products right? im just saying, perhaps your "expertise" is better off in the homeopathic treatment pages. stop lurking around to tell people to do nothing at all about their acne, thats the only advice u seem to offer..

mods feel free to move this post to where u see fit....i just needed to get it out

I did not have time to read through everyone else's post so I am not sure what advice has already been given. When I developed my acne it was all due to stress and hormones I am almost positive. I had acne from jaw to jaw as well. I am on the regimen and finally clear. I just want to stress the fact that you should try as hard as possible NOT to touch your jaw line acne. This acne is very very sensative and sticks around for a bit longer and will also get larger if you try to pop them.

I am on a similar regimen:

J&J head to toe baby wash -GREAT FOR TAKING OFF MAKEUP

Dans BP

AHA- used to be oil of olay

When I started the regimen after about a month I used the 2 full pumps twice a day.

I was also taking about 5 vitamins a day

Most of the B vitamins -since you're a vegetarian this may be good for you either way (i am too)

I took vitamin E, C & to be honest I even took fish oil though it was against my regular diet.

I am also on birth control- and I see that you are on OTC. I switched to lo estrogen 24fe after about 3 months, because the break out on OTC was not something I could bare. Some people really really benefit from OTC and others suffer on it. lo estrogen 24fe is very similar to YAZ, but they have an amazing generic brand called Jeno-i believe. You may want to consider talking to your doctor about it.

Lastly, I know this sounds boring and maybe a little stupid, but for awhile I would not watch tv before bed and just listen to music. This is supposed to help people stay calm. I also went on walks when I became stressed or upset. I read books to stay calm too. I am not sure if you are a member of a gym, but see if they have ZUMBA. It'll keep your mind off of a lot.

GOOD LUCK! - send me a message if you have any questions. I rarely get on anymore unless I see an e-mail from someone on here.

Meow Meow Hiss, I figured he was just on a rampage to get his ideas out. I will say before starting the regimen I was doing the cleanse & moisturize thing, no treatment, and it got me where I am today.

Thanks for your help, pshtigotthatt. What do these vitamins do for you exactly (I guess I could just look it up on the website here, but I'd like to hear what it did for YOU). As for stressing before sleep, lately I've just been coming online and I can't imagine it's helping much. I used to do yoga before sleep and I wasn't breaking out like I am now when I was doing it.... hmm, maybe that's a sign I need to do some yoga before bed tonight! Maybe I'll try some music before bed too.

Also, wanted to say I was looking in the mirror today and I noticed some of my acne looks like bug bites. They are harder, rounder, lighter colored. Not white heads, although most of them turn into white heads later. I feel like they keep popping up. Feels like they're going away and then POP! They're back. I need to keep an closer eye on them I guess. Any ideas, is this anything special or just normal acne?

Hi everyone! This is my first post on this website so we'll see how it goes

I am a 20 year old female with mostly hormonal acne - several cysts, whiteheads, blackheads, and all on my chin and mouth area, plus a few blackheads around my nose and mouth.

I just started Accutane (I am on my 4th week, 20mg a day) and a birth control pill (TriSprintec).

Here is the problem: The Accutane seemed to be working, and then a few weeks into my birth control pill I started to break out terribly, all over my chin again (hormonal). I'm afraid that the hormonal acne is stronger than the Accutane!

Should I up my dose? Do any other women have experience with hormonal acne and accutane? I don't want to get off my BCP because I am in a serious relationship, but I know it is aggravating my acne! Help!