Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blanz

Following the Regimen with Different Products ( 10% BP )

Long time reader, first time poster.

Now Ive been doing a fair bit of reading around the forum, and decided to follow the regimen. However, i don't really have access to most of the products from this site, so i have to improvise.

Products:

Cetaphil Face Wash

Clean & Clear 10% BP

Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion.

Jojoba Oil

As i live in New Zealand, the Cetaphil producst and Jojoba oil i can easily get, however for the BP, i have to order it over Ebay ( We don't really have many suitable BP products in NZ, and i read some reviews on C&C BP and saw alot of postive feedback, hence why i bought it. )

My first question is, is using 10% BP suitable? As in, if i were to switch to 2.5-5% BP, would i see any differences in terms of reducing mild acne?

And secondly, it is quite possible that i might run out of C&C BP from time to time as i have to order it from the US, so in the mean time if i use a replacement BP, will that be sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

2.5% BP is just as effective as 10% BP, but isn't nearly as drying or irritating. A lot of people find 10% BP too harsh, especially for The Regimen, since you'll be using so much of it. You'd be much better off finding a lower percentage.

From the Biggest Mistakes page:

Not using the right products for the job: the Regimen does not work with 10% bp, moisturizers that contain comedogenic oils, exfoliating cleansers that can irritate, or irritating shavers. For best results use the recommended products.

2.5% BP is just as effective as 10% BP, but isn't nearly as drying or irritating. A lot of people find 10% BP too harsh, especially for The Regimen, since you'll be using so much of it. You'd be much better off finding a lower percentage.

From the Biggest Mistakes page:

Not using the right products for the job: the Regimen does not work with 10% bp, moisturizers that contain comedogenic oils, exfoliating cleansers that can irritate, or irritating shavers. For best results use the recommended products.

From the FAQs:

Q: I can't get a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. Can I use a higher concentration?

A: 2.5% is best. However, anything up to 5% should most likely be fine, albeit more drying and no more effective. Avoid 10% preparations which will over dry. One exception when dealing with pimples on the back. The skin in this area is tough and may withstand 10% nicely. If you can find a 10% much cheaper, you may want to try it on the back. It will not be more effective than a 2.5% solution, but may save you money.

So why not simply use less of a 10% solution? Through trial and error I have found this does not work. I do not know exactly why using more of a 2.5% solution works better. My guess would be that when you use more of the product, there is more available to be absorbed into the skin.

Ahhh, i knew that would be posted. Hence why i asked "would i see any differences in terms of reducing mild acne?"

Not talking about the dryness, im well aware of that.. And plus my skin will get used to it eventually anyway?

Like I said, 2.5% is just as effective as 10%, so no, there shouldn't be any difference in their acne-clearing abilities. 10% BP isn't any better than 2.5%; it's just more drying and irritating. Be aware that that excessive dryness and irritation can actually bring on breakouts.

If you're going to do The Regimen, and you expect results, do it the way it's meant to be done: with a 2.5% (5% at the very highest) BP.

Like I said, 2.5% is just as effective as 10%, so no, there shouldn't be any difference in their acne-clearing abilities. 10% BP isn't any better than 2.5%; it's just more drying and irritating. Be aware that that excessive dryness and irritation can actually bring on breakouts.

Yeah, the reason im kind of wanting to stick to it at the moment is because i was slightly impulsive and order some more the other day.

But regardless of that, what products would you recommend that are 2.5% in BP?

And also, in regards to the other products im using, is that all looking ok?

Your cleanser and moisturizer are fine. I'd really suggest cutting your losses on the 10% BP and getting yourself something milder. You could order Neutrogena On The Spot or Dan's BP. Both are 2.5% BP. Dan's BP, though, comes in large 8oz or 16oz bottles, and NOTS only comes in small tubes, so when it comes down to it, Dan's is more cost effective.

Here's a thread that was started about Regimen-compatible products that are available in New Zealand: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/products-...and-t23952.html

Hmm just remembered, one of my questions i had..

Because im going to Australia next week most likely i will run out of the current BP i have, is it ok to switch BP in the regimen? Something like Benzac 2.5 -5%? Ive noticed that seems to be the popular BP in Australia.

Cleanser and Moisturizer will stay the same, just might have to change the BP as i will probally run out. This should probally be okay shouldn't it? As essentially its the same product?

Sometimes when people switch BPs, their skin has to readjust because different BP treatments have different inert ingredients. Just something to keep in mind.