Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know you asked about BP and not The Regimen, but I hope this helps.

From the FAQs:

Q: Does benzoyl peroxide prolong red marks after acne lesions have gone away?

A: I have found no empirical evidence on this topic. However, there have been a good amount of people who have posted about this on the messageboards. I have not seen benzoyl peroxide prolong red marks in the people I have personally coached through the Regimen. However, this does not mean it does not happen to some people. However, the topic is somewhat moot because the best treatment for red marks is prevention of acne. The prevention of acne thusly prevents future red marks from forming in the first place. And the best treatment we have for acne is benzoyl peroxide. So, while there may be a slight chance that benzoyl peroxide may prolong red marks in a few select individuals, when we look at long term red mark prevention, preventing acne in the first place takes precedence. My suggestion would be to get your skin cleared up completely with the Regimen and then practice patience as your red marks fade.

I know you asked about BP and not The Regimen, but I hope this helps.

From the FAQs:

Q: Does benzoyl peroxide prolong red marks after acne lesions have gone away?

A: I have found no empirical evidence on this topic. However, there have been a good amount of people who have posted about this on the messageboards. I have not seen benzoyl peroxide prolong red marks in the people I have personally coached through the Regimen. However, this does not mean it does not happen to some people. However, the topic is somewhat moot because the best treatment for red marks is prevention of acne. The prevention of acne thusly prevents future red marks from forming in the first place. And the best treatment we have for acne is benzoyl peroxide. So, while there may be a slight chance that benzoyl peroxide may prolong red marks in a few select individuals, when we look at long term red mark prevention, preventing acne in the first place takes precedence. My suggestion would be to get your skin cleared up completely with the Regimen and then practice patience as your red marks fade.

So the Regimen is basically putting a bunch of benzoyl peroxide on your face, right?

And do you know if there is any way to actually treat red marks...or do you just have to wait until they fade by themselves?

The Regimen is three steps; gently cleansing, treating with ample amounts of BP, and moisturizing.

And there are some methods people have found that help to speed up the fading of hyperpigmentation (check out the Red Marks Left After Acne board), but time is the only thing that will fade the marks completely.

Okay, thanks for the information. Yeah, I've tried many many different methods from that board, but none of them have helped.

You shouldnt be using BP in the first place it is dangerous it was recently banned in Europe due to its harmful effects

You shouldnt be using BP in the first place it is dangerous it was recently banned in Europe due to its harmful effects

(After a quick googling) Excerpt from James Dalton's article:

"Benzoyl peroxide has been banned for use in cosmetics by the European Union. OTC Acne treatments that contain benzoyl peroxide are included in this ban throughout Europe."

You can buy it in the pharmacy (still non-prescription) - in some EU countries pharmacies have monopoly over all medication - it is just so that people should understand that it is used as medication (so that sneaky manufacturers don't put it in make-up and other stuff, that e.g. pregnant people might use)

So really, that ban is completely trivial for us on this site anyway :P

I found after years of slathering BP 10% all over my face and still breaking out, i decided to quit because of the rumor that BP potentially causes premature aging. I do not have insurance, therefore i cannot ask a dermatologist if BP's oxidizing is only circumscribed to the epidermis and doesn't traverse to the deeper layers of the skin...which perhaps may not pose so much of a problem in my uneducated opinion.

But to point: after two weeks BP free, i find that my pimples do not leave deep red scars or post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Active pimples are small pink fleshy bumps which seem to fade in 3 days without a trace. I still get cysts, but the aftermath is much less red.

If hyperpigmentation is an issue with you (it actually bothers me more then the acne itself), i would suggest dropping BP for two weeks and see what happens.

best.

Edited by someidiot

I found after years of slathering BP 10% all over my face and still breaking out, i decided to quit because of the rumor that BP potentially causes premature aging. I do not have insurance, therefore i cannot ask a dermatologist if BP's oxidizing is only circumscribed to the epidermis and doesn't traverse to the deeper layers of the skin...which perhaps may not pose so much of a problem in my uneducated opinion.

But to point: after two weeks BP free, i find that my pimples do not leave deep red scars or post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Active pimples are small pink fleshy bumps which seem to fade in 3 days without a trace. I still get cysts, but the aftermath is much less red.

If hyperpigmentation is an issue with you (it actually bothers me more then the acne itself), i would suggest dropping BP for two weeks and see what happens.

best.

Wouldn't Retin A micro be the better choice for red marks than bp?

I wasn't suggesting to use BP for red marks. I was stating upon the cessation of BP usage, then one might see a reduction in hyperpigmentation.

Personally, it doesn't make it stay longer. One main mechanism of action of BP is it's desquamative effect..it sheds dead cells.

If BP creates free radicials then wouldn't that contribute to aging? I know free radicials damage the skin and are said to be the source of aging. - So is this true? Thanks.

If BP creates free radicials then wouldn't that contribute to aging? I know free radicials damage the skin and are said to be the source of aging. - So is this true? Thanks.

Very true