Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LadyWillow

Need advice about birth control

I am feeling a little lost about what to do with my regimen. I am taking amoxicillin once a day

my regimen:

morning

cetaphil face wash

acv toner

aczone gel

night

cetaphil face wash

Dan's AHA w/olive oil

Tazorac

I have tried many things and my skin will clear up then break out again then get worse then clear up slightly, etc.

My derm is not very helpful and my dad is going to try to get me another doctor from the same office. I am curious is birth control would be a good route to explore.

As of now my acne is mostly on my cheeks and chin. Mostly inflamed with whiteheads (pustules? not sure)

I am 16 years old, so I might be too young, but I have heard of people using it for acne that are around my age. Thank you.

I think birth control has mixed reviews on whether or not it can treat acne. One thing is that though it may help your acne, you may have to go through an initial flare up of acne due to the increase of estrogen and progesterone the birth control is providing. It may take 3 months or more for your body to reach an equilibrium with your own hormones and the hormones being provided by the birth control > untamed acne for this period. So, basically birth control's effectiveness with acne is a truly individual experience.

If your acne is not severe or mild, but instead moderate, birth control can have a possible benefit for you.

The other crucial part - if you are sexually active and looking for the added benefit of the birth control as a contraceptive, the antibiotic you are on (Amoxicillin) can interact with birth control causing the birth control medicine to be less effective > pregnancy.

I would talk to your doctor (definitely look into a new doctor if you are not happy with your current one > they are providing a service to you that you are paying for, so you need to be happy) about the current medicine you are taking and how birth control could have enhanced or worsened effects for your acne.

also it is important to give the regimen you are on the proper amount of time to show effects.

i would advise you not to take BC yet, and to give your tazorac some time to improve your skin.

the problem with hormones is once you start them...your body kind of depends on them...meaning when your face clears up with them and you decide to stop taking the pills...you could get worse acne than you have now...

also, its not uncommon to have acne as a teenager...so just learn to control it.

i agree with LQP to talk with your dr about it.

thanks lqp thats good advice

and anne s. thanks for the advice aswell. i have been on tazorac for 10 months

i have suffered from acne for 4 years and so i can't really just learn to control it easily i don't know what you mean by that

Hi LadyWillow

How long have you been on the amoxycillin? Perhaps you could do with an antibiotic change dependent on any that you have used previously. I had good results with lymecycline which is a newer one.

BCP can be beneficial but probably something to try when you need contraception also and you have tried other antibiotics. Hopefully, and chances are that you will grow out of this and not be here like me at 37 years!

It doesn't sound like the tazorac is doing much - have you tried benzoyl peroxide or any of the topical antibiotics?

If you are not happy with your dermthen it is a good idea to change.

Good luck

dizzyblonde

hi dizzyblonde thanks for responding

i have tried one other antibiotic i think it was doryx or something with that prefix, I have used amoxicillin for over a year. i think the only reason i take it is because if i didnt it would just kind of make everything worse because it kind of did something weird to my immune system or something like that. I went from 2 a day to 1 a day and i got a bad breakout from it.

i have tried benzoyl peroxide but it is possible I wasn't using it correctly or in the right percentage. It was a while ago. I have tried many many many topicals but they did very little. my skin would slightly improve after the initial breakout but then my skin would kind of almost be immune to it. my mom had acne through college then she grew out of it. I am hoping i find something that works soon though.

bump

i would really like to hear about people's experiences with birth control or spironolactone

my acne is mild and moderate, it kind of switches, and it is persistent. i have a lot of acne around chin and mouth area, and a lot on cheeks,

even if you don't have any advice i still would like to know how it worked for you

I started taking Yaz about a month ago. Previous birth control ( it was ortho something I can't remember which one) made my acne worse! So my derm said this one was different and could really benefit my acne. I started when I was about three weeks away from the usual date of my next period. So that time roles around and I started getting SEVERE cramps that were very unusual for me, it was like my body was fighting with the pill to start my period, it hurt so bad I thought I would have to go to the emergancy room. The next couple of days it just got worse so I stopped taking them, and started my period. Everything went back to normal. I read online that I should start the pill the first day of my period but my derm told me start them right away. Anyway, I don't know if it was the Yaz or not but i'm thinking my derm. told me to do the wrong thing...this all happened the weekend of my wedding too! ugh

oh no thats horrible! im sorry you had a bad experience with Yaz. wow on your wedding weekend! that stinks. did you get an intial breakout with Yaz? I am reading peoples topics and it seems like a lot of people have.

oh no thats horrible! im sorry you had a bad experience with Yaz. wow on your wedding weekend! that stinks. did you get an intial breakout with Yaz? I am reading peoples topics and it seems like a lot of people have.

Hi LadyWillow,

So I have been on yaz for almost 5 months now and have had the best results. But it is true that results are individual. I just want to put out a good note for Yaz since I had previously struggled with acne for 2 years, and tried doxycycline and amoxicillin. I tried numerous the typical topical creams and gels and nothing made a difference, my acne was classified as moderate (which is what Yaz is suppose to treat). I also tried every brand of facewash, toners, moisturizers, etc. And I know that facial regiments are individual as well, but Mario Badescu has an amazing line. In particular his Drying Mask and Acne Facial cleanser. A little expensive, but incredible worth it if it works!!

Best of luck with finding something!!

LadyWillow,

i'm no sure if i got an IB on yaz. I did break out badly but i was also on bactrim at the same time so it could have been that. I was just not happy with my experience. when a birth control makes you double over in painful cramps you don't want to ever take it again but my derm. insists i give it another try. maybe i will maybe i won't, i can't decide. i'm looking into copper iuds right now.

oh ok , thank you for sharing your experiences with Yaz. It seems to vary person to person, I am switching dermatologists and I will ask about Spironolactone and BCP. I read the reviews and comments of a few different BCP and it seems like for some people it totally worked and for others it gave them cystic acne.

I would like to learn more about Spironolactone, it seems to have helped a lot of people.

Hmmm depends!

The reason I broke out in the first place was because of the pill and now I am left with mild acne scarring! However you need to get a pill that prevents acne. Once I changed the pill my skin cleared up immediatly and now I only get the odd pimple. Im from Australia and I use Estelle-35FD another good one I have heard of is Yasmine i think of Jasmine? Not too sure of the name. They are offered in Australia, not sure of other countries. But its definitely worth talking to your doctor about but make sure it is a pill that prevents acne, weight gain, mood swings etc you dont want to have to put up with that. Hope this helps :)

Also if anyone knows anything about PEARL FRACTIONAL LASER for acne scarring I have just put up a post and comments would be appreciated. Thanks

I am looking into Spiro know more than BCP because it seems that with BCP people got a bad initial breakout and its hard to tell if it will work for someone. I don't know if my acne is entirely hormonal but I think that trying Spiro is a good idea because I am already a flipping test rat and I might as well try something that I have researched a little instead of being prescribed a new topical that supposedly works wonders in the trials, but instead messes me up.

I hope my new dermotologist will be more helpful than the last.

today I went to my dermatologist and she told me I had to go to a gynecologist because I have never been before but she suggested Yaz or Yasmin. I got a sample of Yaz but I have to wait to use it until i see the gyn. doctor.

today I went to my dermatologist and she told me I had to go to a gynecologist because I have never been before but she suggested Yaz or Yasmin. I got a sample of Yaz but I have to wait to use it until i see the gyn. doctor.

Hi again

Many have had good results on spiro. However, it is a very strong drug and having been on it with severe side effects I would suggest that (given your age also) that perhaps trying a BCP for acne may be preferable first. Many have had success with Yaz and Yasmin (I am about to start Yasmin when I am better), I also had success with Diannette (although this is a strong BCP that shouldn't be used longterm).

Do your research with an open mind and discuss your options with your gynaecologist.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

dizzyblonde

Yeah I am just going to go with either Yaz or Yasmin, I discussed Spiro with my dermatologist and she said it is more of a long term treatment such as Accutane and she doesn't want to give it to me because of my age, which I understand.

Is there a big difference between Yaz or Yasmin? I have been reading mostly reviews of Yaz and it seems like it helped a lot of people, but made other people break out horribly that had more mild skin to start out with.

My mom left a message with my regular doctor, who is evidently also a gynaecologist, which is good because then I can just kill two birds with one stone... haha. I have an appointment with her in two weeks, but I don't want to wait that long because if I do get a bad initial breakout from the Yaz I don't want it to be during the weeklong camp I'm going to.

Yeah I am just going to go with either Yaz or Yasmin, I discussed Spiro with my dermatologist and she said it is more of a long term treatment such as Accutane and she doesn't want to give it to me because of my age, which I understand.

Is there a big difference between Yaz or Yasmin? I have been reading mostly reviews of Yaz and it seems like it helped a lot of people, but made other people break out horribly that had more mild skin to start out with.

My mom left a message with my regular doctor, who is evidently also a gynaecologist, which is good because then I can just kill two birds with one stone... haha. I have an appointment with her in two weeks, but I don't want to wait that long because if I do get a bad initial breakout from the Yaz I don't want it to be during the weeklong camp I'm going to.

Hello again

I think the only difference between the two is that Yaz has a lower level of the oestrogen in it - do a google om them and check the ingredients.

Not sure why some people have success with one and not the other.

Just taken my first Yasmin pill - wish me luck!

good luck! we should keep in touch because we both started birth control within a day of eachother!

have you noticed any differences/initial breakouts/dryness?

good luck! we should keep in touch because we both started birth control within a day of eachother!

have you noticed any differences/initial breakouts/dryness?

Hi LadyWillow

Have now taken 1 week of Yasmin ( I did however start midcycle) so I will be running a second pack together with the first. Think that should be ok as you can do that to delay period etc.

So far so good. Boobs have got bigger (not thrilled) and I have had some water weight loss due to the spiro effect. No headaches and no mood swings.

Skin is ok - few smalls spots every three days or so and I am also using the topical zineryt lotion which is ok too.

How you doing with it?

dizzyblonde

I don't know if it was from the birth control, benzoyl peroxide, or differin, but I broke out in red bumps a little on my cheeks. They are starting to go away and my skin seems to be improving.

I have to moisturize with Aloe Vera, Oil of Olay lotion, and jojoba oil (at night). My skin is so dry!

I don't think my boobs got bigger but I do have mood swings! Hopefully that will go away.

I'm also always super thirsty now. Most people start to see improvements by the second month so I guess I'll have to wait it out.

As of now I use Everyday Minerals Makeup but my skin is flaky in places and the mineral makeup seems to make it look worse. What kind of makeup do you wear?

I don't know if it was from the birth control, benzoyl peroxide, or differin, but I broke out in red bumps a little on my cheeks. They are starting to go away and my skin seems to be improving.

I have to moisturize with Aloe Vera, Oil of Olay lotion, and jojoba oil (at night). My skin is so dry!

I don't think my boobs got bigger but I do have mood swings! Hopefully that will go away.

I'm also always super thirsty now. Most people start to see improvements by the second month so I guess I'll have to wait it out.

As of now I use Everyday Minerals Makeup but my skin is flaky in places and the mineral makeup seems to make it look worse. What kind of makeup do you wear?

Makes sure you drink lots of water - the effect from the spiro-like ingredient will have a mild diuretic effect.

Differin often causes a breakout - retin a did that to me - nightmare. I use clinique oil free foundation (but not on spots) with their anti-blemish concealer and loose powder. I also use the Paula's Choice range (moisturiser and sunscreen).

dizzyblonde

It is probably the differin. My dermatologist told me I wouldn't have an IB because I have been on tazorac for a while but I figured I would get one anyways. I should probably carry a large water bottle around with me because I always forget to drink water.