Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
strato

Too much protein = acne?

idk about that but i use to drink protein shakes after workin out and had to stop because they would break me out alot. sux.

In my opinion, I think that unatural forms of protein can cause acne because of the artificial flavors, sweetners, milk ingredients... I think our bodies need natural protein like that from animals. I was taking protein for about 4 years (EAS) and stopped taking it about a year ago. In the meantime, I also changed my diet and have noticed many changes inside and outside of my body. That's another story.

I suggest getting the natural protein from animal's like the body was intended for.

Hope that helps a bit,

Jeff

Depends on where you are getting your protein from?

From protein shakes probably. Its not natural protein so it overloads your kidneys, which flushes toxins out of your body. Plus protein shakes have so much crap inside of them, such as artificial sweetner, MSG, cheap hydrogenated oils.

Our bodies are meant to take natural proteins. Dont get me wrong you will get big off protein shakes quick but its not the good way especially for some acne sufferers. But it depends on your body as well everyone is different.

I was wondering the same thing so I tried soy protein.

But now I just decided to stick with natural proteins from lean meats, tuna, almonds, etc

Hope that helps

Some people claim to have the problem with this but most of the time they're also taking creatine too. It's been stated for years now that creatine can cause breakouts. I dont know if the op is taking it, but I've been taking both and decided to recently cut out the creatine. It's made quite a significant difference.

Some people claim to have the problem with this but most of the time they're also taking creatine too. It's been stated for years now that creatine can cause breakouts. I dont know if the op is taking it, but I've been taking both and decided to recently cut out the creatine. It's made quite a significant difference.

I get about 220g+ of protein and I haven't noticed any break-outs!

In fact, It actually helped! This, I'm not too sure if it really helped! But I'm 100% clear which I don't know why! Perhaps it's because I got it under control.

There have been non-creatine taking people who've noted that high protein broke them out and some research that supported it. I couldn't say as I eat very little animal protein and doubt I eat too much plant protein, so I have never worried about this.

We really don't need anywhere near as much protein as so many of the people here, and Americans in general, think. And the single biggest impact most individuals can have on the planet is to eat less animal protein, especially beef.

Besides, you will have to give it up in your lifetime anyway. As the standards of living for people in India, China and elsewhere improve and they want to be glutens like Americans have been, it will not be possible to produce enough food for all of us to eat like this. The Oceans will likely be depleted of fish in less than 50 years as well.

There have been non-creatine taking people who've noted that high protein broke them out and some research that supported it. I couldn't say as I eat very little animal protein and doubt I eat too much plant protein, so I have never worried about this.

We really don't need anywhere near as much protein as so many of the people here, and Americans in general, think. And the single biggest impact most individuals can have on the planet is to eat less animal protein, especially beef.

Besides, you will have to give it up in your lifetime anyway. As the standards of living for people in India, China and elsewhere improve and they want to be glutens like Americans have been, it will not be possible to produce enough food for all of us to eat like this. The Oceans will likely be depleted of fish in less than 50 years as well.

And the single biggest impact most individuals can have on the planet is to eat less animal protein, especially beef. ???

I don't understand?

I was pondering on protien earlier but was actually wondering if not enough protein in your diet could hinder the healing process of acne? Especially if you excercise alot so its going to repair your muscles instead of repairing your skin?

Also how much protien do we need?

No disrespect Alter but how exactly did this become an ecology issue? The reason for the increased amount of protein is to put on strong, lean muscle i.e. gain healthy weight. And throughout the past 20 years science has shown us that In order to do this quite effectively (Thesweatyfox this is for you too) The body needs twice the amount in grams of protein to body weight. So if you weigh 160 pounds, you effectively need to intake 320 grams a day. The other big point:

WHEY PROTEIN IS AN EXTRACT FROM CONVERTING MILK INTO CHEESE. It's a result of homogenization. Whey is the number 1 protein supplement that's being used to increase muscle mass before and after workouts. It's got nothing to do with eating beef. ESPECIALLY since the best sources for food protein are: CHICKEN BREAST, WHITE TURKEY MEAT, FISH (salmon, tuna). And I highly doubt there will be a food shortage any time in the near future considering the output from farms, ranches, and fisheries can be increased simply by focusing on breeding more of whatever the farm produces. You're making a point that would take about half a millenia or more.

Sweatyfox: 50 grams a day as part of a healthy 2000 calorie a day diet

2X body weight when weight/muscle gaining

Hope this clears some misconceptions up :)

-Mat

I eat 300+ grams a day from shakes and stuff and my skin is the best it had been in years (i.e. clear).

It always depend on the person, but I would generally say no, protein will most likely not cause breakouts. The source may, but simply saying protein causes breakouts is much too simplified.

I eat 300+ grams a day from shakes and stuff and my skin is the best it had been in years (i.e. clear).

It always depend on the person, but I would generally say no, protein will most likely not cause breakouts. The source may, but simply saying protein causes breakouts is much too simplified.

I'm guessing that you're a weight lifter! Also, I agreed with you! I usually drink whey protein isolate from JayRobb which is expensive, but I'm terrifically scared to switch whey protein--

*Grinned*

-Lugo

Thats cool, thanks for the info.

I'd say i get around 70 a day on average, is that ok or should i take in a little more as i do excercise regularly? I only weigh 112 lbs, I don't want to gain anything i just excercise to stay healthy and keep toned up.

My brother always had great skin (huge meat eater), but he tried to bulk up recently and added protein shakes to his diet, but had a massive breakout all over his face.

Sweatyfox: You can increase protein intake without really gaining that much weight at all simply by eating foods higher in protein content but keeping your daily calorie intake around 1800 to 2000. 150 grams of protein is a good number for 112 pounds BUT I think you'd achieve even greater tone if you went up to about 180-200 grams of protein while taking a high energy fat burning supplement. Check this out if you're interested:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek27.htm

-Mat

I'd say i get around 70 a day on average, is that ok or should i take in a little more as i do excercise regularly? I only weigh 112 lbs, I don't want to gain anything i just excercise to stay healthy and keep toned up.

Extra protein likely won't cause you gain much weight. If it does, it may be more lean muscle which is good for everyone. Too many Carbs and just eating too many calories in general will cause you to gain weight. Don't worry about it.

Sweatyfox: I'm not sure, but I think you should do what's best for your body. 200 grams of protein for a 112lbs is a lot and I'm sure it takes a toll on the kidneys. I'm not saying what people suggested is wrong, but I don't think we were intended to take in so much protein like that. You might argue it's for weight/muscle gain, but I don't think any of us know exactly if that's what the body needs.

I think getting the proper vitamins and minerals for our bodies through whole foods seems to be more healthy than protein shake after protein shake. And I know people will disagree and I respect your opinions. I use to take in about 150grams of protein a day and now I only take around 60-70grams. I feel better and I'm sure the diet changes I have made added to that feeling of better. So all I'm saying is listen to your own body, you'll know what feels right and what doesn't.

Extra protein likely won't cause you gain much weight. If it does, it may be more lean muscle which is good for everyone. Too many Carbs and just eating too many calories in general will cause you to gain weight. Don't worry about it.

I've heard that carbohydrate is for energy too.

I would recommend adding healthy carbs - such as sweet potatoes, ezekiel bread, brown rice, oats, etc...

Sure, but it's easy to pound a ton of carbs, especially from crap sources like candy, cake, sugar etc.

Try eating 300 grams of protein a day versus 300 grams of carbs. 300 grams of carbs is easy to eat, protein can be pretty tough.

Yes, the source always matters, imo.

wow 200grams of protien seems loads!!! I don't think i could possible eat that much very easily without taking supplements...which i must admit scare me a little! I have a tub of whey protien isolate here at the moment which has been sitting in my room for about 4 months because i'm afraid to take it incase it breaks me out!

My skin is looking the best it has for ages and this is from eating a diet which consists of fruit, tonnes of veg, nuts, grains like buckwheat/rice/quinoa, fish, chicken & turkey. I also food combine as well as i find it helps with my digestion...so i just eat fruit for breakfast, a carb based meal for lunch and a protien meal for dinner.