Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anti-zit

What worked for me

About me: I'm a 24 y/o male and have had moderate acne since I was 15. I have been able to rapidly get rid of my facial acne solely by changing my diet and taking certain supplements. Here they are in order of efficacy:

1) Absolutely, positively, no dairy. After a month there was a noticeable improvement, and after 3 months there was huge, huge improvement. Breaking this rule occasionally with very small doses of dairy doesn't make a noticeable difference. However, one slice of pizza is enough to cause some breaking out the following day.

2) Zinc picolinate, 75 mg daily (one or two 50mg pills alternating). I think zinc's effect on the immune system is what mediates its effect on acne. Might try to reduce this to 50mg/day at some point. 50mg was the original dose but before I instituted the no-dairy rule, bumping it up to 75mg did make a difference.

3) L-lysine, 500 mg daily (one pill). Required for synthesis of collagen.

I take some other supplements too but when the zinc and the lysine run out I start to see some inflammation.

Strangely, while I have had no new facial zits while following this regime, there are still some persisting on my back and shoulders. Those might have a different underlying cause.

Hope some of this info is helpful. The key here is patience; you need to eliminate dairy from your diet for at least a month before you see improvement.

Good to hear! How long did this take for you to clear up? And also, did you ever find that masturbation affects your acne?

Good to hear! How long did this take for you to clear up? And also, did you ever find that masturbation affects your acne?

It took about 4 months for new zits to stop appearing completely. It also helps to aggressively pop and drain any ones that appear with whiteheads (with rubbing alcohol and a needle). Before I started draining them, they'd get gigantic and persist for weeks.

Neither masturbation nor sex nor differing levels of exercise (running daily vs sedentary for months) ever affected my acne.