Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been using Dan's AHA+ for a little over two weeks now, and every time I cleanse my face while showering, I can see a coating of dead skin on my face. I thought the AHA+ was suppose to exfoliate. I never had this much dead skin buildup when i was just using a scrub. anyone got an explanation/idea to remedy this? how do i go about removing the buildup gently?

I'd like to know as well. I went to a derm Tuesday who was more of a "cosmetic" derm. He suggested, and I gave in, to what he called a "deep acne cleanse" because he said I had a lot of dead skin buildup in my problem area. First they put a 30% SA serum on my face, let it sit for 10 minutes, and then aggressively (and somewhat painfully) wiped it off with a washcloth. Then they did microderm abrasion which didn't feel very pleasant either.

I hope there is a more gentle and less expensive way to get rid of dead skin.

I'd like to know as well. I went to a derm Tuesday who was more of a "cosmetic" derm. He suggested, and I gave in, to what he called a "deep acne cleanse" because he said I had a lot of dead skin buildup in my problem area. First they put a 30% SA serum on my face, let it sit for 10 minutes, and then aggressively (and somewhat painfully) wiped it off with a washcloth. Then they did microderm abrasion which didn't feel very pleasant either.

I hope there is a more gentle and less expensive way to get rid of dead skin.

Ouch that doesn't sound like fun at all. :confused:

Alright, I'll try that method. If anyone else has a solution, please reply.

I should also note that despite this accumulation of dead skin, I haven't really had a zit pop or anything. I've been reading around that oily skin (which I have), dead skin, etc contribute to acne, or so they think.

At the very end of your shower, after your skin is all softened up, you can go over your face very gently with a wet washcloth. Be sure not to be too rough, though. That should help.

You can also try the baby brush method or exfoliating with jojoba oil.

Gentle exfoliation with a washcloth is a great idea. I also like to use a soft toothbrush - it really helps get rid of any flakies that I have. Just don't scrub your skin too hard - gentle circles with the brush or washcloth should do the trick.

I've been using Dan's AHA+ for a little over two weeks now, and every time I cleanse my face while showering, I can see a coating of dead skin on my face. I thought the AHA+ was suppose to exfoliate. I never had this much dead skin buildup when i was just using a scrub. anyone got an explanation/idea to remedy this? how do i go about removing the buildup gently?

Generally all human skin regenerates new cells on the surface of the stratum corneum every 28 days, there is no need to exoliate the dead skin cells of the stratum corneum because everyday this layer desquamates from normal everyday washing and new cells replace the old removed cells. AHA is a chemical exfoliant, and when you use it everyday your skin gets used to the pace of the cell regeneration process and speeds up, this speed up process means the stratum corneum builds up and gives you that coating of dead skin on your face that you are experiencing. However you could be mistaking dry flakey skin for this problem, chemicals/scrubs/exfoliants/soaps all can make your skin look flakey and look full of dead white skin cells, i suggest you stop scrubbing, you cannot easily remove flakes but you can remedy the problem with moisture and calm the surface down. The only way to prevent flaky skin is by stop using the things that cause it.

adam

I personally use and vouch for the baby's hair brush method. An electric spinning toothbrush is also a good choice for gentle exfoliation. I use either with my cleanser, and the results are great. :)

I found massaging jojoba oil into my face at night before I wash it really helps take off dead skin cells. Also a toner with glycolic acid with a drop of jojoba oil added in the morning.

I found massaging jojoba oil into my face at night before I wash it really helps take off dead skin cells. Also a toner with glycolic acid with a drop of jojoba oil added in the morning.

Question: Can a build up of dead skin cells from dry skin clog pores and lead to breakouts? I've been breaking out a lot lately on my chin but my skin is still so damn dry! :evil:

Question: Can a build up of dead skin cells from dry skin clog pores and lead to breakouts? I've been breaking out a lot lately on my chin but my skin is still so damn dry! :evil:

Yes, but it can only produce whiteheads.

@OP: Your problem sounds like seborrheic dermatitis. You should look into it.