Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ecotrons

St Ives Apricot Scrub? Yes, no?

Well I have like tiny bumps on my forehead. pretty sure they're clogged pores or comedones I think thats what u guys call em?

Anyways would this work to clean em and make my forehead smooth again? I keep hearing good things about it, then a ton of bad things too so just wanted to see what you guys think

should I use it? why and why not?

Thanks

Well I have like tiny bumps on my forehead. pretty sure they're clogged pores or comedones I think thats what u guys call em?

Anyways would this work to clean em and make my forehead smooth again? I keep hearing good things about it, then a ton of bad things too so just wanted to see what you guys think

should I use it? why and why not?

Thanks

I used to be the person who said lots of good things about St. Ives Apricot scrub, but I'm starting to think it's too harsh for my skin. I think it's okay to use once in a while, but I've been over doing it by using it every day. I think for your type of problem, you should try a topical BHA like Paula's Choice 2% BHA, or even a lower dosage if tiny comedones on your forehead are your only problem. BHA/Salisylic acid is a gentle chemical exfoliant, and would be more effective, in my opinion, than the St. Ives Apricot Scrub.

The problem with the St Ives scrub is that the scrubbing beads have rough edges which can cause tiny microtears in the skin. This can lead to irritation, skin damage, and may lead comedones to getting inflamed.

However, scrubs that use gentle beads (usually made of silica) are great to use on skin that is not too sensitive. If you have much in the way of inflamed acne, I would not use a scrub though. Its really more appropriate for people who have blackheads and noninflamed closed comedones.

Two that I really like are the scrub from Face Reality Acne Clinic (silica scrub) and the one made by Vivant Pharmaceuticals. Both are gentle and appropriate for acne prone skin.

I've used St. Ives for years and realized that all this time it's been doing nothing for my skin. I've recently switched to Neutrogena's Blackhead Eliminating Scrub and so far it's a nice change. :nod:

Hello!

I used to use the St. Ives Apricot Scrub until my skin became congested with whiteheads. It didn't help the whiteheads one bit and I felt that the granules were too large and scratchy for my face.

Currently, I use Laneige's Strawberry Yogurt Peeling Gel for all skin types. It smells pretty good and it hasn't irritated my normal/combination skin. The granules are very, very, fine and you just spread the scrub over moist skin. I use gentle circular motions to utilize the granules and it balls up with dead skin cells. After rinsing, my face feels wonderful. I wouldn't suggest this method with those who have inflamed acne, it'll aggravate the skin.

The only drawback for this scrub is that it's on the expensive side (around $20 per tube); nowhere near as economical as St. Ives, and I don't think it's non-comedogenic. Also, it's not usually sold in American supermarkets, it's a Korean product. You can check it out at this website: (the website sells it more expensive than it should be, so I would buy it in Korean/Chinese skincare shops if possible).

Hope this helps! :)

I, like others that replied here noticed it irritating my skin. It made my skin red and rough, and peely. Though, I do like the St. Ives Face Masque. But it wouldn't do what you're looking for, it just would get off dead skin and soften my face a little. It's a peel off type thing that's kind of like a gel to begin with. Have you tried pore strips? Sometimes they help me, a little bit.

I have used St. Ives Apricot scrub for about a year. I use it every night and a lot of people commented that my skin is so soft and my red marks fades quickly! But, on the other hand, I don't recommend it to people who has sensitive skin. By the way, I don't use it anymore. I switch to Clean & Clear Blackhead daily scrub which is really gentle and not to harsh.

Ok well I've been using it for a while now every 2 days and its working great for me. My skin has gotten a lot smoother and I'm close to having no blackheads left. It has irritated my skin a little bit like 2 or 3 times but it wasnt such a big deal.

I have to say I like the St Ives so far. - I've been using it for over a month now having previously used the C+C one with the blue beads (which are a major headwrecker btw lol).

I do apply it very gently tho. Like Willow said the beads have do sharp edges - I apply it lightly and take it off with a babybrush also but I don't scrub, I literally just put it on and brush it off, gently as possible then splash my face... Minimal and gentle as possible is the way to go as the beads do all the work.

That said, my skin can take alot of exfoliation, unlike many people - It may not suit people with really sensitive skin. Also I use the "blemish fighting" version...

Guest Herätys

For me it was to harsh to use everyday. So I use it twice a week for exfoliation purposes, especially after steaming.

Overall, its only good for sloughing of dead skin cells and makes your skin soooo soft and smooth after wards. Not much work on acne that's already there though, but helpful by preventing new ones.