Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D Marie

Spironolactone Dosage

This is my first post here, so please excuse me if my question repeats anyone else's. I have been on Spironolactone (25mg in the morning and 25mg at night) for a few months. I've seen a slight improvement but not what I have expected. The dermatologist just put me back on antibiotics as well. From reading the dosages that others are taking, I am wondering if my dosage is too low. I weigh 115-120 pound. Anyone have any thoughts?

This is my first post here, so please excuse me if my question repeats anyone else's. I have been on Spironolactone (25mg in the morning and 25mg at night) for a few months. I've seen a slight improvement but not what I have expected. The dermatologist just put me back on antibiotics as well. From reading the dosages that others are taking, I am wondering if my dosage is too low. I weigh 115-120 pound. Anyone have any thoughts?

The first time my daughter was given spiro I had to beg the doc for it. I brought in all the research and he said OK. I have since heard that he has more patients on it. He gave her a conservative dose of Yasmin and 25 mgs. of spiro. He added 25 mgs. more the next month but no higher. She was clearing up by the 5th month and very clear at 6 months. She was also on Doryx at that time. This time she is on 100 mgs cause she had a bad breakout after stopping her pills last winter. I am wondering if he has read up more on spiro dosages since we saw him last. She is your size BTW. You might want to give it the full 6 months to see if it continues to improve before asking for an increase in dosage. It's always best to be on the smallest amount possible. I know it is hard to be patient.

When prescribing spironolactone for the use of acne, the typical dosage is between 50-100 mg daily, while many physicians may begin a prescription at 25 mg. So, I would not say your dosage is too low, you are in the target range.

If you don't feel the spironolactone is working as well as you would want it, then you should talk to your doctor. He/She will get the cues you are giving and either up your dosage - if he thinks it would be ok for you - or he may try something else.

I do not know your age or history, but the doctor does and has to take this into consideration when prescribing the dosage best for you > to avoid potential side effects such as hyperkalemia.

OK, you just scared the _*)& out of me. Like I want to take my daughter to the doctor and have her tested RIGHT NOW. I know that hyperkalemia is a risk when messing around with potassium sparing diuretics but now I am wondering how much of a risk there is with these amounts. This is why she did not go on spiro years ago. A PA told me that her heart could stop instantly. I do not think this drug would be being prescribed so freely if this was a real danger.

Hey D Marie,

I started on 100 mgs of Spiro and did that for 2 months. After 2, my doctor doubled my dosage. I'm currently on 200 mgs a day, and have been doing that for another 1.5 months. (Almost 4 months on Spiro total.) It seems that this is relatively high, but my doctor had no problem prescribing it to me. I'm only 120 lbs (dont know if that really matters much). Obviously, I'm not a doctor and whatever is right for you is right for you, but I'm on a significantly higher dosage. I do suffer from mild side effects though no worse than I did while I was on 100mgs. Honestly, some have gotten better since my body has adjusted.

Also on that note, I haven't been impressed by Spiro so far. Hope it helps soon.

RedViolyn - I have read where it takes 5-6 months and more for some people so don't give up hope especially if you have seen at least some improvement. My daughter's derm said that over 100 mgs. would not make any difference so he would not prescribe that much. That is so puzzling since many doctors would seem to disagree.

RedViolyn - I have read where it takes 5-6 months and more for some people so don't give up hope especially if you have seen at least some improvement. My daughter's derm said that over 100 mgs. would not make any difference so he would not prescribe that much. That is so puzzling since many doctors would seem to disagree.

BOSTON-

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm at more than 6 months on Spiro and have noticed no, real improvement. My hormonal breakouts are slightly better BUT I suffer more breakouts through the month. I'm going to the derm next week to see if there is any hope for me and this medicine. I consider it a true bust.

DD is at about 5 months on Yaz and 3 months at 100 mgs. of spiro. What she has are fewer spots overall but what is left are big. This is taking longer this time. The first go around was on Yasmin but that made her to crazy. I wonder if going off and then back on just puts a monkey wrench in the whole clearing up process.