Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey Guys,

I had to make a post about this because it is something that bugs me daily!

I am always thinking to myself as I see my scars (And not they are present) that I am scarred because I was too aggressive on my skin when I had bad acne on accutane.

I always think... "I wish I didn't pick, Why did I do this/that, Why didn't I try this, Why did I take accutane..." etc.

It kills me! It is hard to move on because I have scars that have been with me for many years and are hard to improve. I also seem more prone to scars after accutane and I have a lot of depression because of these issues...

Any advice on the mental aspects of all this? :eh:

by the way I have tried cognitive behavioural therapy for my mental effects but I still get these intrusive thoughts, and find it hard to move on. I feel pathetic, but these thoughts stay with me because I think my life could have been so much different if I did things differently. I feel I was young (16-17) and stupid at the time so it is hard to take...

Think about this - you only have scars, some people would kill to be in your position. Best of luck to you.

I understand having regrets..but regrets are not ever going to help you improve your life or get you moving forward. so long as you hold onto regret you will stay stuck.

yes, scars are difficult to treat. But you just gotta keep at it and never giving up. the only way you can fail is if you give up. theres options that you have. you just have to start moving forward and you'll feel alot better if you do.

no excuse you tell yourself about anything is a good enough reason to stay stuck..

I'm sure you think nobody understands, you have it worse, you have no hope, its to much money to get anything done ect ect..those are just excuses..its all in your head. you just gotta dig deep and start taking steps in a positive direction and never look back.

things wont change over night. but with each day that passes and you are pushing forward you'll grow stronger. and as you grow stronger you'll push harder. and as you push harder you'll realize nothing can stop you if you dont let it!! good luck.

Thanks for the comments guys, I certainly am stuck and need to try to move on it is just so hard. I suppose the worst thing is to think about SO MANY things that I could have done differently if a few small things happened during accutane treatment. I suppose people can say this about a lot of things in their life, but I am affected every day physically (with some side effects) and mentally (with anger, regret, anxiety). I know there are a lot of people doing poorly though, so it is comforting to know I am not the only one...

i know how you feel if i hadnt done a glycolic acid peel my skin would be perfect

This statement concerns me. It's this exact mentality that will prevent you from ever being happy. Perfect skin shouldn't be the goal (although improving it is a reasonable wish), but rather, you should want to be content with yourself. It may seem impossible, you may want to give up, but to change your self-perception and consequently everything else in life..that's the most important thing.

I regret putting all my faith into Vitamin B5, it cleared me up the first time round when my skin was moderate, but then my acne came back, I chose B5 over accutane thinking it would sort me out again but the opposite happened. My acne became 10x worse and only actually cleared up after accutane.

So I regret not taking accutane sooner and choosing Vitamin B5

Hey Guys,

I had to make a post about this because it is something that bugs me daily!

I am always thinking to myself as I see my scars (And not they are present) that I am scarred because I was too aggressive on my skin when I had bad acne on accutane.

I always think... "I wish I didn't pick, Why did I do this/that, Why didn't I try this, Why did I take accutane..." etc.

It kills me! It is hard to move on because I have scars that have been with me for many years and are hard to improve. I also seem more prone to scars after accutane and I have a lot of depression because of these issues...

Any advice on the mental aspects of all this? :eh:

by the way I have tried cognitive behavioural therapy for my mental effects but I still get these intrusive thoughts, and find it hard to move on. I feel pathetic, but these thoughts stay with me because I think my life could have been so much different if I did things differently. I feel I was young (16-17) and stupid at the time so it is hard to take...

Hey guys, I'm new to this site but I been looking over the scar treatment section for a couple of months now. I came across this post and it something I can totally relate to. Although I have some redness left from acne on my forehead from a recent outbreak, my "regret" is not about acne. My regret deals with 4 large noticeable scars I gave myself on my face. These scars came from trying to remove 4 large raised moles on my face myself with this cream I bought on the internet. Before I decided to do this, I had gone to a dermatologist to remove them. She told me not to do it, that it was not worth it, that the scars could look worse; her words have been echoing in my mind ever since. So, I put this cream on all 4 moles ( all on the right side of my face, except 1 on the tip of my nose) because the dermatologist would not do it herself. Needless to say, the cream left 4 large red craters on my face. After that, people just starred at my face (especially family) wondering what the hell happened. My mother even at one point told me I ruined a "beautiful" face. Since then, I have spent a couple thousand dollars at a plastic surgeon, trying to remove my mistakes. Not a day goes by when I'm not kicking myself for what i've done; saying to myself "what if I went to the plastic surgeon first?" WHAT IF? What if!?; these thoughts are constantly sparked by seeing reflection of my face throughout the day, At one point, I saw an add for scarless mole removal from this new technique (this really stung!). It was all suppose to make me look better, feel more attractive, and thus more confident for the ladies (Im a guy); all I wanted was to attract the women I was attracted to, and I immaturely felt it was the moles that were keeping me from getting a g/f. For the last 2 years, I have been battling depression (occasional suicidal thoughts) over guilt/regret.

The point is now I have realized that life is too god damn short to sit her hiding in a room, afraid to see people reactions of my scars. I use get incredibly uncomfortable when people would sit on the right side of me on a table, and all they could see were red indented scars (they would ask, and thus cause me to feel like shit having to explain my stupid mistake over again). You just have to say to yourself, you did what you did because of your level of awareness at that time. You thought it was best to use acccutane at the time, I thought it was best to use that cream (not knowing what the results would be). Due to its result, your level of awareness has become something different. You can't let the mistake restrict your life because in the end you learned something valuable from the result. You will be a stronger person for it if you can get past your mistakes. Thats what life is all about, "you live and you learn". I feel stronger now cause of my mistake. At one point It was incredibly stressful for me to leave my room and go to class; now I am going to be living abroad for a year, facing new people and a new culture. In the end, you just have to look at yourself in the mirror and say, " F*** IT" and move on.

I completely understand how you feel. I have smooth skin with noticeable scars from cysts that never came to a head. I thought maybe the puss was stuck inside and needed to be drained and used a razor blade tip to prick at it. BIG MISTAKE. Now I am undergoing Fraxel Re:Store treatments that I'm not sure will work and dealing with a resulting staph infection on my chin. It's somewhat of a trickle down effect. If I hadn't done this, listened to him/her, I wouldn't be suffering all of this if I hadn't.... I have decided not to beat myself up over it. What's done is done. I am grateful for one thing from all this though. I am no longer judgmental of others nor do I make petty remarks about their appearance.

This is a much needed thread. Try not to beat yourselfs up too much(; But I do it too. I wish I'd done Accutane instead of trying a million alternative treatments- that is why I have scars.

Then there is the big regret of all the wasted money trying to repair the scars. I have spent thousands on peels that didn't work, IPL, Fraxel, excisions and recently subcision. I have a Dr. now trying to talk me into activefx... swearing it will make my skin 75% better. So do I dump another $3000.00 to "try" it??

I agree that we can't quit, but I don't know where I'm supposed to get all this time off and money. And it really is a handicap- the scars. We just want to walk through life with SKIN like normal people. To wake up and look into the mirror at a face that isn't deformed.

We just want to walk through life with SKIN like normal people. To wake up and look into the mirror at a face that isn't deformed.

I know what you mean about this, there is a minority with this problem. Skin problems are a pain in the ass, they agitate physically and mentally and are so hard to treat. We just have to try and get on with things. It is hard though, but it is nice to hear about others in my situation..