Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
milkncoffee

help im on benzaclin!

so for the last 3 or 4 months iv been having breakouts of little white heads about a week or so before my period. (also i scar easily so im was very upset) this was odd because my skins been mostly clear my whole life with a few places now and then. i figured it was hormonal acne and so did my derm so he put me on BenzaClin. at first it was fine stinging and all that. now im on my 8th day of useing it and it feels like an awful sunburn, my face is pealing, and i realy cant tell if its making a deffrence, i have one spot near my lip that will not go away.

iv been using cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer. and aveeno moisturizing lotion with spf 15 in the morning.

has any one else used this? what can i expect on a weekly basis? is there anything topical or therwise that worked better for hormonal acne? im saposed to see him in 3 months. im hoping it will get better, but for now i cant even look at my family without hateing myself.

Hey milkncoffee, keep your head up and believe in the medication. Benzaclin is actually a really good topical. If you read other reviews on here, you'll see that it got good ratings. As for your burning from the medicine, you could try to apply less of it. All you need is a very thin layer of benazaclin on your acne prone areas. Also, since you are just starting out on it, you could try applying it every other day then gradually go to every day. For some people, Benzaclin is a strong topical and thus would need to gradually get use to it. I'm pretty positive that by the three month mark, you'll see some great results. Did your derm give you any oral antibiotics with the Benzaclin?

Hey milkncoffee, keep your head up and believe in the medication. Benzaclin is actually a really good topical. If you read other reviews on here, you'll see that it got good ratings. As for your burning from the medicine, you could try to apply less of it. All you need is a very thin layer of benazaclin on your acne prone areas. Also, since you are just starting out on it, you could try applying it every other day then gradually go to every day. For some people, Benzaclin is a strong topical and thus would need to gradually get use to it. I'm pretty positive that by the three month mark, you'll see some great results. Did your derm give you any oral antibiotics with the Benzaclin?

thanks for the reply!! im trying so hard but i dont think my skin is handeling it well. im only useing it at night, but i will try every other day now. my skins realy flakey especialy around my chin, mouth, and cheeks. no, just the prescription to BenzaClin.

BenzaClin contains Benzoyl Peroxide (hence 'Benza'), which is a drying agent. It can take your skin a while to adjust to BP, and while it does, it's normal for it to be dry and flaky. Just be gentle and keep moisturizing, and eventually your skin will adjust and the flaking will subside.

yeah, you could be just applying too much of it on your skin. When you go back to your Derm, ask him about Minocyclin oral antibiotic. I was told by my friend, who is a dermatologist, that it is considered the gold standard of oral antibiotics against acne. Plus, I have had great results from it. Like I said though, Benzaclin is a really good drug and have faith in it.

Hey milkncoffee, I use BenzaClin also. I have been using it for a months and a half, exactly as you have been using it - one a day (at night), and using a SPF sunscreen in the morning. This is my regimen (it's also in my signature):

BenzaClin Gel (5% Benzoyl Peroxide and 1% Clindamycin Phosphate)

Morning:

Cleanser - SpectroJel Blemish-Prone Skin, Fragrance Free Cleanser | Moisturizer - Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 15

Night:

Cleanser - SpectroJel Blemish-Prone Skin, Fragrance Free Cleanser | Wait 5 - 10 minutes | Treatment - Benzaclin Gel | Wait 5 - 10 minutes | Moisturizer - Spectro HydraCare Blemish-Prone Skin moisturizer

Click for My Regimen Log

I think I also have skin similar to yours in that it scars very easily.

So the key is to stay on BenzaClin and follow the exact regimen your derm prescribed for you. If he said use it only at night, use it only at night!

And don't add any extra steps to your regimen like ACV and what not; it'll throw you skin off balance if you know what I mean. Just stick with the steps like I outlined in my regimen above - Cleanse, Treat if its night time, Moisturize/SPF.

It is important to apply enough moisturizer to keep your skin supple and hydrated.

While on BenzaClin I messed with my skin quite a lot, hence the reason I'm not clear as yet. I applied egg masks, honey, vinegar, OCM and other stuff, so the BenzaClin did not get a chance to work. But when I left it alone (however little that was), I saw my skin starting to clear up.

Yesterday I applied a papaya mask and it broke out again :( . But stick with it! Check my log (see sig.) to see my progress.

sorry to bother any one, but when will i see results? iv been useing it 8 days, and it hasnt done anything to the little whiteheads, the only thing it has done is irritate my skin.

and i know im being inpatient, i just need to know. im thinking this may be to strong just for white heads that pop up before my period.

Generally, you need to give any new treatment a few weeks at the very least. Acne takes a while to form, so you need to give the treatment a chance to break the cycle. I'd say give it a month or two. That way your skin will have a chance to adjust, and the treatment will have a chance to do its job. If it's not working out for you after that, talk to your derm.