Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
devinez

I DON'T want to use proactiv anymore...

My doctor put me on Yasmin 7 weeks ago and I've never broken out so bad..

At the same time I've stuck with my proactiv and I'm wondering if I should stop using the proactiv and switch to something else? The proactiv seems to have stopped working and I was wondering if anyone has had good results with a different product after being dependent on proactiv for so long.

I used Proactiv for a while and realized that the only product that i liked was their BP lotion. So I got a gentle cleanser (Neutrogenas cleansing bar for sensitive skin) and after washing my face I used the BP and once it dried I put on a moisturizer (Target brand, Oil of Olay for sensitive skin). Basically I am following Dans regimen but I am using some of my own products.

I have been following this for several weeks now. I just ran out of Proactivs BP and started using Dan's BP.

My face looks amazing! I am not getting any new acne and everything that was there has healed and the spots are fading quickly! I am so happy!

The thing with proactiv is you have to be consistent. Forget one day, just one day, and you will break out. At least thats almost the way it was for me. So I switched over completely to Dan's Products (Cept for moisturizer, I use Cetaphil) and stuck with it...

However I only did it during the night. I didn't feel like waking up in the morning an extra 20 minutes to wait for the BP to dry, and I wasn't going to risk going to school with a thin layer of BP.

But, surprisingly, it still worked. Would it have worked faster day and night? Probably. It took me about 3-4 months to get my skin looking pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if by September I would be perfect. (I only get a pimple or two every now and then).

You know it is very strange but I have been on Yasmin twice and I just realized b/c of your comment that it is the same time that Pro-Active stopped working for me. There has got to be a connection to that! There are several Law suits right now against the maker of that drug for causing several health issues. Ironically the drug was advertised in the beginning as a treatment for hormonal acne. I am also trying to find something else as the Pro-Active is no longer working for me either. I am also wondering have they down graded the ingredients that they are using? I ordered Acnetix.

I used Proactiv for a while and realized that the only product that i liked was their BP lotion. So I got a gentle cleanser (Neutrogenas cleansing bar for sensitive skin) and after washing my face I used the BP and once it dried I put on a moisturizer (Target brand, Oil of Olay for sensitive skin). Basically I am following Dans regimen but I am using some of my own products.

I have been following this for several weeks now. I just ran out of Proactivs BP and started using Dan's BP.

My face looks amazing! I am not getting any new acne and everything that was there has healed and the spots are fading quickly! I am so happy!

I also realized that the only product I liked from Proactiv was their BP.

Were there any changes to your face when you switched from the Proactiv to Dan's BP, or was your face just used to having BP on it that there wasn't any noticeable change and you didn't have to start over with all the redness and flakiness?

Maybe you should try another BC pill. OTC is a good one. But not the OTC LO or generic brand.

Finding the right BC is usually trial and error and not a one size fits all.

My face had finally gotten use to the BP. I was flaky for a while but haven't had any new dryness since switching. I have used it the past 4 or 5 nights and been really pleased. It does take a while to soak in but I dont mind!

If you are considering it, I say go for it!

It isn't that proactiv has stopped working... its that the BC is changing your hormones so much and making them go up and down that proactiv cannot target those pimples. I was on BC (2 diff kinds) and both made my face go crazy! I got off of it and use proactiv still and my face is back to normal. BC blew my face up!

My face had finally gotten use to the BP. I was flaky for a while but haven't had any new dryness since switching. I have used it the past 4 or 5 nights and been really pleased. It does take a while to soak in but I dont mind!

If you are considering it, I say go for it!

I don't mind waiting at night for the BP to soak in, its just I don't have the time in the morning to put it on and wait for it to soak in. Maybe cause my skin is oily, I won't have to deal with the flaking if I decide to switch over.

Maybe you should try another BC pill. OTC is a good one. But not the OTC LO or generic brand.

Finding the right BC is usually trial and error and not a one size fits all.

I agree with SmirfyTime, and it is different for everyone. Oral contraceptives can definitely CAUSE acne, just as they can help it.

I have to say though, OTC is what caused my acne to go from moderate to outrageously cystic, thus proving that different Pills have different effects (good and bad) for everyone.

Guest missyjean130

I've noticed that with any acne system that worked...would stop working after a bit. To fix this I'd just temporarily switch to something else for a few months,then when I switched back it would be working just as well again.

Maybe hormones have something to do with it,I don't know...was just an observation.

i gave up on proactiv too, made my skin worse. Been using the stuff mentioned from themagic3.com and my face is getting better. It's some stuff with Bp, salicylic acid and natural stuff so no irritation. If nothing else works for you, give it a try. I've only been on the regime a week now but my skin is smooth and getting clearer.