Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peter_midnight

Tretinoin, 5% BP, Dove Soap, and Doxycycline Hyclate

I went to the Derm last week for the first time EVER! I used to use Proactiv and it worked good. But not good enough. The Derm told me to stop using the Proactivs and the Neutrogena Acne Free Body Washes and switch to Dove in the shower. Then, move onto 5% BP twice a day and Tretinoin once a day along with Doxycycline Hyclate.

The first few days were great, but today I have started to feel more itchy and dry than usual. Maybe I used too much BP and not enough moisterizer? Do you guys like this regimen?

I'm due back in 6 weeks, but I'm wondering if I should go back because of the dry and itchy face.

I think your skin is adjusting to the medication. The rule of thumb is that if you are experiencing irritation, try applying smaller amount of Tretinoin. You could also apply every other day if the irritation is really bad until your skin become accustomed to the medication. I personally didnt have very good results on Doxycycline, however, I did have good results from Minocycline. My recommendation is to keep with this new regimen until your next visit.

I think your skin is adjusting to the medication. The rule of thumb is that if you are experiencing irritation, try applying smaller amount of Tretinoin. You could also apply every other day if the irritation is really bad until your skin become accustomed to the medication. I personally didnt have very good results on Doxycycline, however, I did have good results from Minocycline. My recommendation is to keep with this new regimen until your next visit.

Thanks. Does anybody else have thoughts on this?

My son was on this regimen, but he only used Bp once a day in the morning with clindamycin.

He started using the Retin A Micro really slowly, I think it was every 3 days for a couple of weeks then every 2 days and finally once a day, he never had a problem with it.

Im not sure how you are using BP twice a day when you can't use BP at the same time with Retin A, washing your face more then twice a day is not good.

My son was on this regimen, but he only used Bp once a day in the morning with clindamycin.

He started using the Retin A Micro really slowly, I think it was every 3 days for a couple of weeks then every 2 days and finally once a day, he never had a problem with it.

Im not sure how you are using BP twice a day when you can't use BP at the same time with Retin A, washing your face more then twice a day is not good.

I called the doctor's office earlier and clarified the prescription. WHOOPS, did I make a mistake. Apparently I was suppose to use the BP once in the morning and the other stuff at night. Man, now I have a really red and dry face. Today I used 30 SPF sunscreen to see if it would help. Since that is the case I will also just wash with the dove in the shower (which he told me to do) effectively leaving face washing to once a day. That bastard. Normally, they give me a list with the instructions on it, but this time I got no list, just a paper. AND he TOLD me that I would be using the same stuff as proactiv AM and PM. Next time I'm going to repeat the instructions to him to clarify.

Any suggestions on what I should do in the meantime? I'm thinking of just doing as instructed and only using the BP in the morning. Do you think this will help my face from being red? Or should I avoid everything for the next couple of days? I should probably go see him, but I was hoping to find someone with a similar experience here.

On the positive side of things, I have less bumps and whiteheads then I EVER had while using Proactiv on my face. I can't say the same about my back, but I'm having a hard time applying it on my back (I live alone).

Can anyone help please? My face is still red and dry. I feel that it is less dry today and less irritating since using BP only in the morning and Tretinoin at night. Not sure if it is less red as it's hard to monitor my face from day to day. I did look at the gym and felt it was less red, but I could be wrong.

i've been prescribed tretinoin and clindamycin so i'm familiar with the product. i think that you should back off of the bp first, as it can be extremely irritating causing your skin to become very dry. you may also want to start using the tretinoin every other day. gradually add the bp into your regimen and maybe alternate with you scripts. both scripts are pretty strong. you don't want to put too much on your face. less is more. i'm not saying that you should disregard the directions that your derm has posed, but you know your face and its reactions better than anyone. take it slow...this is a relationship :)

I too was prescribed BP 5% wash along with Retin A about 4 months ago. I started with the wash everyday and using the cream every third night but I felt that the BP wash was really contributing to the sore dry patches that my face was experiencing. It was red and inflamed and I don't really have sensitive skin so this was weird. I quit using the BP wash and switched to a gentle efficient cleanser. In my 2nd month I started using the tretinoin every night. But I wanted to give the BP wash a try again...stupid me. Almost like clockwork, after a few hours my face started to itch and my pimples were more noticeable. I stopped again and my skin became better. All in all I have found that the Tretinoin works much better when just using a gentle cleanser. I brought this up to my derm at my 3 month visit and he agreed that I should quit with the BP wash and just continue on with my gentle cleanser and tretinoin. I guess it's just how certain people's skin reacts. On a side note, tretinoin is AWESOME and there is a HUGE improvement in my complexion...stick with it!

Can anyone help please? My face is still red and dry. I feel that it is less dry today and less irritating since using BP only in the morning and Tretinoin at night. Not sure if it is less red as it's hard to monitor my face from day to day. I did look at the gym and felt it was less red, but I could be wrong.

The BP wasn't prescribed perse. It's the kind where you have to ask the pharmacist to grab it for you behind the counter. Also, it's not a wash. It's just BP to put on your face. Like I said, the first day and second were fine. Day 3 my face went nuts, but it makes sense to me now that I found that I was only suppose to apply one in the morning and one at night. I just wish they would have written that for me like they always do, instead of implying that I should use both at night and BP in the morning.

Good news, while everyone at my job says that my face is red, they say it's less red than yesterday and I have noticed less irritation and dryness.

BTW as for sun protection. I have a sunscreen with SPF 30 and a moisturiser with sunscreen SPF 15. Which do you think I should use?

The BP wasn't prescribed perse. It's the kind where you have to ask the pharmacist to grab it for you behind the counter. Also, it's not a wash. It's just BP to put on your face. Like I said, the first day and second were fine. Day 3 my face went nuts, but it makes sense to me now that I found that I was only suppose to apply one in the morning and one at night. I just wish they would have written that for me like they always do, instead of implying that I should use both at night and BP in the morning.

Good news, while everyone at my job says that my face is red, they say it's less red than yesterday and I have noticed less irritation and dryness.

BTW as for sun protection. I have a sunscreen with SPF 30 and a moisturiser with sunscreen SPF 15. Which do you think I should use?

Hi, I've been using retinA (tretinoin) for a couple of years now and through trial and error found a system to work for me. First let me say you should yield on all the products until your face isn't so red and irritated and I would recommend the mositurizer w/ spf because your skin's gonna need moisturizer w/ tretinoin.

Okay, now in my experience w/ retinA I found a gentle cleanser to work best for me, I actually use the oil cleansing method, but any extra gentle cleanser will probably work. See, tretinoin is very strong alone and also very drying, added bp or other chemicals to your face all at once is gonna cause irrattion which you've already experienced. I would suggest you start off slow maybe dove cleanser in the a.m. and just a hot towel to wipe your face gently in the p.m. and definetely moisturize am and pm. Use tretinoin at night evey third night for the first week or two then bump it up to every other night for another few weeks and finally every night. I still try to give my skin a break every three or four night and I have very tough skin or atleast i used to; see tretinoin thins your skin out so it's naturally gonna become more sensitive over time and sunscreen every day is a must (im sure your derm told you that though). After a few months of just tretinoin I would then add the bp in the a.m very slowly like the tretinoin first every third day, then every other than every day and finally everyday given your skin breaks every couple of days. I personally used clindamycin in the a.m and love it but your skin my like bp better... trial and error is the name of the game. Hope it all works out for you and please keep us updated!!