Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sabatier

Makeup may be causing your acne

Believe me, I'd know.

I've been a pizza face since the age of 14 (I'm now 23), about the same age I started wearing makeup.

I've had doctors tell me I had PCOS and because of that I resigned myself to the fact that I'd have acne for my whole life. I would get severely angry with people who told me I must be doing something wrong. It never occurred to me that maybe my makeup was causing my acne, until about 6 months ago.

So I switched to mineral makeup (tried all brands, including those without bismuth and mica) which made my skin WORSE than when I used liquid foundation. I had reached the end of my tether.

My face has been absolutely ravaged from years of acne and so has horrendous red marks. I am barely presentable but I know I just have to stop wearing makeup and GIVE MY FACE A REST. Three weeks weeks ago I threw in the towel and decided to stop wearing makeup altogether.

There have been no new spots since I stopped. Although my skin looks horrific because of the red marks, I feel it is gradually healing day by day. Of course people are staring at my skin but I just have to accept that until the scars fade. Its either this alternative or else try to cover up my acne with makeup for the rest of my life, when the makeup is what's causing it.

Seriously people, think about it. Do not accept acne as a fact of life. Instead of trying to cover it up, ask yourself why you are getting it, particularly if you're an adult like me. You are obviously doing something wrong, and makeup may well be the cause.

Seems so obvious now. Why the hell did it take me so long to figure it out?

Believe me, I'd know.

I've been a pizza face since the age of 14 (I'm now 23), about the same age I started wearing makeup.

I've had doctors tell me I had PCOS and because of that I resigned myself to the fact that I'd have acne for my whole life. I would get severely angry with people who told me I must be doing something wrong. It never occurred to me that maybe my makeup was causing my acne, until about 6 months ago.

So I switched to mineral makeup (tried all brands, including those without bismuth and mica) which made my skin WORSE than when I used liquid foundation. I had reached the end of my tether.

My face has been absolutely ravaged from years of acne and so has horrendous red marks. I am barely presentable but I know I just have to stop wearing makeup and GIVE MY FACE A REST. Three weeks weeks ago I threw in the towel and decided to stop wearing makeup altogether.

There have been no new spots since I stopped. Although my skin looks horrific because of the red marks, I feel it is gradually healing day by day. Of course people are staring at my skin but I just have to accept that until the scars fade. Its either this alternative or else try to cover up my acne with makeup for the rest of my life, when the makeup is what's causing it.

Seriously people, think about it. Do not accept acne as a fact of life. Instead of trying to cover it up, ask yourself why you are getting it, particularly if you're an adult like me. You are obviously doing something wrong, and makeup may well be the cause.

Seems so obvious now. Why the hell did it take me so long to figure it out?

personally i dont agree, people who get acne don't always wear makeup, i often wondered this but i think there were studies and they found no evidence that its causes it , i think acne comes from a problem within, i think regular spots that are normal maybe come from makeup occasionally but not full blown cystic acne like mine

im sure eventually ur acne will go , hopefully mine too but i could not go through the pain of not covering it, it would be terrible espically when were so young and its gonna take a good while 2 properly clear anyway, maybe im just extremly vein! LOL

this is a pretty legit point, but i don't think it's actually true for everyone. some makeup can clog your pores and make it worse, it's true. but i tried going a month or two without makeup, and nothing changed. i think it even made it worse. i always try my best to wear healthy mineral based powder makeups and i think they actually help. without makeup my face feels oily and weird at the end of the day, and with makeup it's not as bad.

i think as long as you are careful to wear light, healthy makeup and remember to wash it off at night, you should be ok!

For some people, makeup can be a big issue, while for others it isn't.

There is actually a condition called Acne Cosmetica, which is acne that is caused by the use of cosmetics or other facial products.

I didn't wear makeup for a year back in high school and it didn't help my acne at all.

I wear makeup almost daily and have no acne since being on the Regimen. I think it depends on both the person and the makeup.

This may be true for those who use the wrong makeup, it can result in serious breakouts. However if you use the right makeup for your skin, it shouldn't cause any breakouts, in fact it may be good for your skin since nowadays, some makeup consist of sunscreen.

I didn't have any problems with the makeup I have. In fact, the makeup I bought has never caused me to have acne at all. My acne started when I was 14 and I didn't touch makeup till I was 17 so its not the cause of my acne. Plus I had back acne as well and since I don't apply makeup on my back, its not the cause of the problem.

I'm happy you found the root of your problem, maybe you are right to let your skin heal itself. You could be allergic to some of the ingredients in makeup.

A lot of people probably didn't even touch foundation/concealer until they actually got acne.. meaning their skin broke out before that so makeup couldn't be the cause. If it was, a person's acne would have to be mild because I don't really see someone who isn't acne prone ending up with moderate/severe acne because of using cosmetics. I agree that using a particular product may make someone's acne worse, but it would probably not be the cause of it.

this is a pretty legit point, but i don't think it's actually true for everyone. some makeup can clog your pores and make it worse, it's true. but i tried going a month or two without makeup, and nothing changed. i think it even made it worse. i always try my best to wear healthy mineral based powder makeups and i think they actually help. without makeup my face feels oily and weird at the end of the day, and with makeup it's not as bad.

i think as long as you are careful to wear light, healthy makeup and remember to wash it off at night, you should be ok!

I agree, I am the same way, I havent been wearing make up at all for 2 month and I still have those annoying bumps on my chin, which is caused by hormones not by wearing make up...I have been wearing make up since 15, and didnt get hormonal acne till I hit 22...

I have worn makeup for at least 14 years and I had an allergic reaction to all Clinique foundations that looked like acne and millia. I stopped using it and my skin cleared. My problems with cystic acne is hormonal and not caused by makeup. Though I do believe not washing your makeup off completely can cause acne.

Make up can definitely aggravate spots and acne for some people. A mild acne can become moderate acne purely by constantly using pore-clogging makeup. A turning point for me was ditching the oil-free liquid foundations I had used for 15 odd years, for mineral powders. That alone, improved my skin enormously! :)

Hmm.. Well makeup works for me only at times.. I guess only very few brand goes well with my skin.. I'm always so nervous to try anything new.. :pray: Coz makeup has caused the worst breakouts for me.. But sometimes out of desperation I just put some on.. Like for some important meeting.. But now I am not using any.. I just cleanse, tone and moisturize.. Put compact powder... That's all.. I have a clear skin now.. no more acne.. yay :dance: just brown marks left on my cheeks.. I dont mind those.. I'm just sooo happy not to have acne anymore.. Besides my marks are fading slowly.. I'm using a lot of natural stuff for them.. :doh: I'm just waiting for them to fade completely to get that perfect look.. Patience is the key here... :D

Hmm.. Well makeup works for me only at times.. I guess only very few brand goes well with my skin.. I'm always so nervous to try anything new.. :pray: Coz makeup has caused the worst breakouts for me.. But sometimes out of desperation I just put some on.. Like for some important meeting.. But now I am not using any.. I just cleanse, tone and moisturize.. Put compact powder... That's all.. I have a clear skin now.. no more acne.. yay :dance: just brown marks left on my cheeks.. I dont mind those.. I'm just sooo happy not to have acne anymore.. Besides my marks are fading slowly.. I'm using a lot of natural stuff for them.. :doh: I'm just waiting for them to fade completely to get that perfect look.. Patience is the key here... :D

Does the compact powder actually cover the brown marks?

On topic, my acne was caused by stress and I only start wearing powder after my acne has turned from mild to moderate. Bare Minerals didn't worsen my acne, it has gave me conficence to face people. I know it's so vain of me, but I just can't go out with bad skin.

Does the compact powder actually cover the brown marks?

On topic, my acne was caused by stress and I only start wearing powder after my acne has turned from mild to moderate. Bare Minerals didn't worsen my acne, it has gave me conficence to face people. I know it's so vain of me, but I just can't go out with bad skin.

Hey there,

The compact powder doesnt help much to hide the brown marks.. But it makes my face look brighter.. So overall appearance of my face improves.. :)

I have brown marks too that take awhile to clear (i'm impatient) although eventually they DO leave on their own, it just takes months. :ninja: I do find that the brown marks are easier to cover up with compact powder than red marks, because red marks still look inflamed...but hte brown marks mean the skin has healed but the turnover process isn't complete yet. I use Benefit You Flawless SPF 15 powder and if I look in a mirror my brown marks are covered nicely and I don't even need a thick layer. I also don't even need a concealer prior to putting the powder on.

Benefit has been the only brand not to break me out...I've tried powders from Clinique, Prescriptives and Victoria's Secret very sexy all caused blemishes (i'm pretty sure they did).

A lot of people probably didn't even touch foundation/concealer until they actually got acne.. meaning their skin broke out before that so makeup couldn't be the cause. If it was, a person's acne would have to be mild because I don't really see someone who isn't acne prone ending up with moderate/severe acne because of using cosmetics. I agree that using a particular product may make someone's acne worse, but it would probably not be the cause of it.

Thank you for the valid point chemical. I suffered for years not wearing makeup hoping and praying my acne would go away in junior high and I am now 27, still suffering. I definitely never touched makeup until I felt i needed it.

Even if this were true, which I totally don't believe, I would rather look great some of the time, then half blotchy all of the time.

With makeup, I'm a more confident, beautiful, vivacious young woman, without, I'm a social recluse and self-conscious of my skin.

Makeup has really been my saving grace, the one thing I could always fall back on. I'm an artist, I've found so many ways to make myself look better, and it has had extremely positive effects on my persona as a whole. I owe so much to makeup that stopping now and trying to go cold turkey would cripple me.

I haven't used makeup (concealer and foundation) for two months and my skin looks great! I still have pimples, of course- but my skin is slowly getting better.

I'm bumping this thread.

I think that a lot of people are overlooking the point here, from a scientific standpoint, not your own opinion.

Obviously most of us had acne before we started using makeup. Some people never have and never will use makeup to cover their acne.

However, when you're wearing something on your skin, it's bound to inhibit the natural cycle of healing for your skin, whether it is clogging your pores or not. It's messing with your skin's natural balance of moisture and such, which can lead to not just acne, but rough skin, uneven tone, large pores, etc.

Look at most celebrities when they are makeupless. They don't look that great, do they?

There are two ways makeup can affect your acne-

1) It can be the initial cause

2) It can inhibit healing/clearing

Sometimes it's both, sometimes it's only one.

Personally, I only had mild acne on my forehead, then I suddenly broke out in severe acne all over my face. There were many catalysts to this, but wearing foundation was one.

Of course, once I broke out, I felt I couldn't stop wearing makeup because of how terrible my skin was.

Now I only have mild acne on my cheeks (like three per side or so) some blackheads, but a lot of scarring and red marks.

I'm weaning myself off makeup, and I encourage others to TRY and see if this helps. Going cold turkey is scary and not the best option for most, but using less foundation than your used to...Or switching to something lighter and continually using less and less is bound to help your skin.

You are beautiful without makeup, you just have to keep yourself from hiding who you are.

I haven't worn makeup since July and my skin is worse than ever....

My acne never improved when I stopped wearing makeup. Although I'm sure that wearing makeup years ago did cause issue, as I didn't pay attention to ingredients.

Same here. I think when we were younger/just starting with makeup that we would just wear whatever. Now we know better :).

I haven't worn makeup since July and my skin is worse than ever....

My acne never improved when I stopped wearing makeup. Although I'm sure that wearing makeup years ago did cause issue, as I didn't pay attention to ingredients.

Same here. I think when we were younger/just starting with makeup that we would just wear whatever. Now we know better :).

I doubt I even KNEW products had ingredients lists! Lol. I wasn't all that careful with any of my skincare methods for the first few years. I probably used dirty foundation brushes often... ew.

Haha, you're totally right! I just thought makeup was makeup and that was that. Ugh, I shudder to think of all the makeup no nos I commited. I probably didn't start to do the right thing makeup wise until sophomore year in high school. :P