Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been on a no sugar diet for about 2 or 3 weeks now. working fine, it's nice to know what breaks me out. But it would be nice to have some substitutes, i heard that honey might be alright? i have no idea so if anyone could tell me some more foods it would be great!

thanks

yeah i actually read today that this helps, and i think i'm going to cut down on fruit, but not altogether because it's so good for you.

I am such an addict to sugar, I think of all my diet changes it's the single most difficult thing for me to cut out. It's like a drug because I get a high from it. It's bad, I know. It's probably one of the worst things for acne sufferers. I really am trying to cut back, I get my sugar from fruit, yogurt, and occasionally when I can't resist anymore I eat baked goods if they are right in front of my face.

I would like to know if anyone has any tips on resisting sweets.

I am such an addict to sugar, I think of all my diet changes it's the single most difficult thing for me to cut out. It's like a drug because I get a high from it. It's bad, I know. It's probably one of the worst things for acne sufferers. I really am trying to cut back, I get my sugar from fruit, yogurt, and occasionally when I can't resist anymore I eat baked goods if they are right in front of my face.

I would like to know if anyone has any tips on resisting sweets.

Yeah you should certainly cut sugar! They are pure evil, which they ruin your skin!

However, you should replace them for honey or stevia.

another really good substitute is xylitol, its really good and actually tastes sweet, it doesn't have that bitter after taste that some people don't like with the stevia. plus xylitol can be good for promoting good intestinal flora and stabilizing ur insulin levels.

Hi.

I recommend stevia! Also, honey is fine :)

-EddiE

Why is honey good, but sugar bad?

I read in an acne book that honey can be inflammatory, I used to put it in my green smoothies to make them sweeter, but then I stopped. I think I am doing a lot better with sugar than I used to, but I get cravings that are really difficult to curve. I have seen the pinned thread with the alternatives, but a lot of them are time consuming and involve baking. I am a student and I don't have time for that. Although, I do want to try baking apples because I really liked that idea I will try to find time to do so.

Yeah im a bit of a sugar addict, but, although i did it without realising, I've managed to cut out all sugar. I used to eat a fair amount of it, but gradually, when i saw something was bad for you, i would try really hard to cut it out. So eventually i ended up giving up all sugar. I find it easier not eating any sugar rather than i little bit a day, because i know it would progress from there to me eating as much as i used to. I've got to say, peanut butter is a life saver

I have seen the pinned thread with the alternatives, but a lot of them are time consuming and involve baking. I am a student and I don't have time for that. Although, I do want to try baking apples because I really liked that idea I will try to find time to do so.

There are many that take minutes. Saute apple slices in butter or whatever you use, sprinkle with cinnamon. No sugar needed. Takes about a minute.

I read in an acne book that honey can be inflammatory, I used to put it in my green smoothies to make them sweeter, but then I stopped. I think I am doing a lot better with sugar than I used to, but I get cravings that are really difficult to curve. I have seen the pinned thread with the alternatives, but a lot of them are time consuming and involve baking. I am a student and I don't have time for that. Although, I do want to try baking apples because I really liked that idea I will try to find time to do so.

I've given up sugar too! Im on my 3rd day! Have you seen much difference in breakouts since giving up the white stuff?

Oh and also how is peanut butter a life-saver?

Yeah im a bit of a sugar addict, but, although i did it without realising, I've managed to cut out all sugar. I used to eat a fair amount of it, but gradually, when i saw something was bad for you, i would try really hard to cut it out. So eventually i ended up giving up all sugar. I find it easier not eating any sugar rather than i little bit a day, because i know it would progress from there to me eating as much as i used to. I've got to say, peanut butter is a life saver

Peanut butter? Most peanut butters contain sugar - unless you find a "no sugar added" one.

-also, a lot of natural sugars, like the fructose found in fruits or organic honey, don't typically cause a surge in blood sugar levels, so it's usually okay to eat them in most instances. I have heard of people breaking out because of oranges or bananas, but things like apples or strawberries should usually be okay. Apples actually contain a lot of healthy goodness that will help detoxify your body if you eat them regularly. I recently just started adding back some grains to my diet - whole grain of course, after starting to eat 1-3 apples daily. I noticed that while eating apples with my carb meals - like a sandwich, my skin doesn't break out.

Of course, I'll be indulging in some pizza and cake this evening as part of celebration for my college graduation, and i'm sure apples won't help that much! But I have no where to be next week so if I get a little breakout...no worries.

Oranges break people out because of its high sugar content and low fibre, while apply has high fibre to slow the absorption.

Also you do know that jsut about every vegetable and fruit has sugar. Vegetables have less and more fibre, so you can eat more.

The government recommends 5-10 servings of fruit and vegetables per day, which is stupid.

It should be 6-10 servings of vegetables and 1-2 servings of fruit.

Oranges break people out because of its high sugar content and low fibre, while apply has high fibre to slow the absorption.

Also you do know that jsut about every vegetable and fruit has sugar. Vegetables have less and more fibre, so you can eat more.

The government recommends 5-10 servings of fruit and vegetables per day, which is stupid.

It should be 6-10 servings of vegetables and 1-2 servings of fruit.

All fruit is extremely good for you and there is no reason not to consume all types of fruit in large quantity. It will not cause you to break out, it may be something you are eating with the fruits. It could be protein or fat that you are eating with the fruits that cause the sugars to ferment and cause problems. All other sugar besides that found in fruit has the potential to cause skin problems.

All fruit is extremely good for you and there is no reason not to consume all types of fruit in large quantity. It will not cause you to break out, it may be something you are eating with the fruits. It could be protein or fat that you are eating with the fruits that cause the sugars to ferment and cause problems. All other sugar besides that found in fruit has the potential to cause skin problems.

I disagree. Fruit is not as good as you think.

What I believe and the links that backs up my stance:

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/foods12.php#a2

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/7...ournalcode=ajcn

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/sugar4.php

They also break people out because they are a very common allergen. They cause me to breakout in cysts the next day. Not even coca cola never did that.

These days you can find links and articles backing up just about anything. I'm not saying those are BS by any means, only that I'm sure the other poster could find links and articles as well backing up his stance. Unfortunately though, what often gets side-stepped in these debates is the processed carbohydrates. These, by far, are worse than any fruit out there.

I think diet is such an individualized thing that fruit may or may not be a healthy part of yours. Trial and error is the only way to find out.

These days you can find links and articles backing up just about anything. I'm not saying those are BS by any means, only that I'm sure the other poster could find links and articles as well backing up his stance. Unfortunately though, what often gets side-stepped in these debates is the processed carbohydrates. These, by far, are worse than any fruit out there.

I think diet is such an individualized thing that fruit may or may not be a healthy part of yours. Trial and error is the only way to find out.

Yeah I didn't mean to come off as what I say is right and what others say is wrong. Different things work for different people. I'm having great results thus far staying away from high carbohydrates and sugar (fruit included). Even after stopping minocycline 18 days ago my skin has never looked better and usually by now things go crazy from being off the antibiotics. In the future, I plan on eating fruit and some other things (sweet potatoes, ezekiel muffin, plain yogurt, brown rice) in very limited quantities. *To each his own*

Peanut butter? Most peanut butters contain sugar - unless you find a "no sugar added" one.

-also, a lot of natural sugars, like the fructose found in fruits or organic honey, don't typically cause a surge in blood sugar levels, so it's usually okay to eat them in most instances. I have heard of people breaking out because of oranges or bananas, but things like apples or strawberries should usually be okay. Apples actually contain a lot of healthy goodness that will help detoxify your body if you eat them regularly. I recently just started adding back some grains to my diet - whole grain of course, after starting to eat 1-3 apples daily. I noticed that while eating apples with my carb meals - like a sandwich, my skin doesn't break out.

Of course, I'll be indulging in some pizza and cake this evening as part of celebration for my college graduation, and i'm sure apples won't help that much! But I have no where to be next week so if I get a little breakout...no worries.

Yeah i have a "no sugar added" one lol. But i've actually never thought how much sugar is in peanut butter so i look at it on the label. It's got 5.7g of sugar per 100g. I obviously dont spread 100g on a piece of toast, but i have no idea what's a bad amount of sugar. Sames goes with cereals and juice. I've only cut out the really obvious things like sweets, cakes, biscuits and anything like that. Is there an average amount of sugar i shouldn't eat in something?

Yeah i have a "no sugar added" one lol. But i've actually never thought how much sugar is in peanut butter so i look at it on the label. It's got 5.7g of sugar per 100g. I obviously dont spread 100g on a piece of toast, but i have no idea what's a bad amount of sugar. Sames goes with cereals and juice. I've only cut out the really obvious things like sweets, cakes, biscuits and anything like that. Is there an average amount of sugar i shouldn't eat in something?

Get a blood glucose meter and test the impact of snacks and meals on your blood sugar.

Get peanut butter without added sugar or oils, but otherwise, the naturally occurring sugar in the peanuts should not be a problem as their impact on blood sugar is reduced by the fats and protein.

Avoid juice except way watered down as in a wedge of lemon or splash of some other juice in water. Don't drink sugar.