Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
carmusen

How do you MAKE NEW FRIENDS?!

So you know how in high school you know almost everyone because you have them for 4 years and the same people are in your classes? Well in college, there are over 30,000 students so each class you have different people.

That results in me not having any friends for 2 years now. Sure I have acquaintances, but I don't have friends who I can call and ask to see a movie with. I don't have anyone to call and share my problems with. In college you sit there and listen to the professor, you go out, you leave, you go home. I don't live in dorms so this is especially hard.

How do YOU make new friends? Do you introduce yourself to a random stranger? Or do you wait for them to talk to you?

typically some people are much more open and approachable. its a typical answer but joining clubs or w.e might help. Also usually first year the staff try to form those bonds b/w students by assigning group work etc.

How do YOU make new friends? Do you introduce yourself to a random stranger? Or do you wait for them to talk to you?

I just meet people. Yes, I make conversation with classmates. It's not that difficult. Talk about the assignment or anything before class begins. Hang out at the student center.

Some of my friends I did make by living in the dorms, but many of them were also classmates, people I was involved in activities with, or just people I met randomly and hit it off with. There are so many ways to meet people in a college setting: chat up people in class, join a fraternity or sorority, get involved in a student group, play an intramural sport, if it's your style check out some of the local bars and hangouts... You're right that simply getting up, going to class and going home isn't going to make you friends. It takes an effort on your part to get involved and put yourself out there.

I'm in college, and I make friends by speaking to the people who sit nearest to me. We exchange contact information so that we can study together and then take it from there.

Confidence (not arrogance). Its as simple as that - when people see you are "confident" with yourself they are attracted to your body language.

Have you joined any clubs? I know, I know--CLUBS--gahhh! But I'm sure your university has hundreds of clubs that cater to virtually any interests. You should join and couple. :)

You mean you don't own a friend making kit?

A big blob of clay, some old clothes and a bit of imagination and you have a friend who listens to all your problems and will contribute to your growing insanity.

:wacko:

Clubs clubs clubs! I know what you mean about how difficult it is to meet people in lecture. I mean, sure, I lean over and chat with the person sitting a seat away from me, but it's rare that we exchange contact info the first time we meet...and the next time I go to lecture I end up sitting next to someone different. Luckily, I joined clubs on campus that have helped me meet the majority of people I'm friends with right now. Have you considered Greek life? That's an automatic set of friends..I'm really happy with my decision to rush :)