Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hedgehog88

lactic acid or glycolic acid...which is better?

hello again... i read more on the forum and heard alot about lactic acid and glycolic acid peel for redmarks or redspots. i would like to know which is MOST recommended would you ppl say for redmarks? also how much ph or % should i get? where can i purchase some?

my redmark is on my nose which is annoying to have. its not really red but its still visilbe froma distance.

thanks

I know nothing about ph... but it's hard to say which is better.

Glycolic is supposedly more harsh than lactic, so it will fade marks faster. However, you get more redness and irritation from it. Lactic on the other hand is very gentle and works over long periods of time. Both should yeild good results, you just have to wait out their time spans. Anyways, whichever you choose, I'm always quick to reccommend puredeming.com . They have a great selection of skin care products including glycolic and lactic acid.

I know nothing about ph... but it's hard to say which is better.

Glycolic is supposedly more harsh than lactic, so it will fade marks faster.  However, you get more redness and irritation from it.  Lactic on the other hand is very gentle and works over long periods of time.  Both should yeild good results, you just have to wait out their time spans.  Anyways, whichever you choose, I'm always quick to reccommend puredeming.com .  They have a great selection of skin care products including glycolic and lactic acid.

Puredeming is a favorite among these boards.

I use the glycolic Intense Mini-Peel, and my results have been pretty good. All my redmarks are nearly gone and my hyperpigmentation has decreased. All my scarring remains though, I'm going to need something stronger for that. Anyways, they are a very reliable company, and I haven't seen anyone here complain about them.

Puredeming is a favorite among these boards.

I use the glycolic Intense Mini-Peel, and my results have been pretty good.  All my redmarks are nearly gone and my hyperpigmentation has decreased.  All my scarring remains though, I'm going to need something stronger for that.  Anyways, they are a very reliable company, and I haven't seen anyone here complain about them.

Hi hedgehog, I do not recommend glycolics for deeper skintones, they are quite harsh ( the buffered daily cleansers etc. are OK ) and if left on too long or too strong they can cause scabbing and further hyperpigmentation....I know , I sell them but I seldom use them for hyperpigmentation from acne. I usually use them on more mature skin to help the effects of aging or sun damage. I would try the lactic acid first with a 1.5 to 2.0 pH

Richard, by deeper skintones, do you mean darker skin? I have fairly dark skin myself and have had no trouble with glycolic at all. And I've only used it to remove redmarks and hyperpigmentation. I find as long as you follow the directions perfectly, and apply sunblock with atleast SPF 30, you'll be fine. I'm only 17, so I can't say my skin is aged, but it is sun damaged from all the topicals I've used to use.

@hedgehog

I would go for the bigger one, just because you never know how much it will take. Also, if you don't need it all, you can give it to someone else who might.

Hi Angelo, Glycolics can be used safely by darker skins but you must be very careful not to overprocess them and stay at the lower perctenages 30% to 50% but not the 70%and always neutralize thoroughly. I still prefer the Lactic acid for hyperpigmentation.

Hi hedgehog, I do not recommend glycolics for deeper skintones, they are quite harsh  ( the buffered daily cleansers etc. are OK ) and if left on too long or too strong they can cause scabbing and further hyperpigmentation....I know , I sell them  but I seldom use them for hyperpigmentation from acne. I usually use them on more mature  skin to help the effects of aging or sun damage. I would try the lactic acid first with a 1.5 to 2.0 pH

Yeah, you get a little pamphlet with the instructions in it. Quite simple really.

Cleanse face with mild soap (very mild)

Pat dry

Apply thin layer all over face, just enough so you can cover entire area. Not much is needed at all.

Let sit for 5-10 minutes

Wash off with mild soap

Thats it. You shouldn't notice much in terms of results until your third or fourth peel. But you should see a little change with each. Oh yeah, and don't forget the SPF 30. I know I sound like a broken record with that, but it's SOOOO necessary.

how do you apply it? what should i use? also what if i only need it on my nose area and not my face is that ok? how many times do i have to apply it per week? lastly about the peel process...you said it will starting peeling within third or forth application...do you mean like the skin layer will come off my face or whereever u apply it to??? will it peel like overnight or during the application process?

thanks

I put a little of it on my finger, and then spread it over the affected areas. Some people use cloths and such, but it's not necessary. Just make sure your hands are well cleansed.

If you only need it on your nose, then feel free to only apply it to that area.

For the first couple peels, it's reccomended once per week I believe. But if your skin shows high tolerance to it, then you can do it every four days. I cheat and do it ever other day. But my skin is incredibly resilient. Just make sure to use that SPF 30 that I keep preaching about.

Ok the way this works is by exfoliating off a top layer of your skin. Don't worry about actual peeling, as this will only occur if you overdo it. What I meant was that you won't really notice great results until the third or fourth peel. Because it will change very minimally everytime. It should take roughly a full 10-15 peels for maximum results, depending on how bad your redmarks are.

And lastly, I believe glycolic peels over time, so I'm left to believe your skin is still exfoliating over night, though I could be wrong.

Ohh also, avoid any harsh topicals while on this. Mild acne cleansers should be fine, but I wouldn't even risk that. Glycolic was really never meant for skin that is still prone to acne (heh heh, mine is and I use glycolic anyways...).

say if you put lacitc acid under your nose where redmarks appear, where you have facial hair...can it burn the hair? also can you use lactic acird if you have some zits around on your face?

I've never really burned any hair with either acid, so I think your good there.

As far as zits go, you really don't want to be doing harsh peels while still very prone to acne. As you could just irritate your condition. If your using lactic, then start with a very low strength. I don't reccomend the use of glycolic at all until your skin is less prone to acne.

glycolic acid (30%) causes breakouts for me even though i've been on it for a long time.

right now i am using lactic acid (50%) and it is so much better, less irritating to my skin and my red marks are fading faster.

i love lactic acid.

glycolic acid (30%) causes breakouts for me even though i've been on it for a long time.

right now i am using lactic acid (50%) and it is so much better, less irritating to my skin and my red marks are fading faster.

i love lactic acid.

hello again... i read more on the forum and heard alot about lactic acid and glycolic acid peel for redmarks or redspots. i would like to know which is MOST recommended would you ppl say for redmarks? also how much ph or % should i get? where can i purchase some?

my redmark is on my nose which is annoying to have. its not really red but its still visilbe froma distance.

thanks