Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LA_SF

Topical antibiotic and probiotics

Hey all,

I have been going more and more holistic to try and mitigate my acne, but I have still been unable to divorce myself from topicals (I will soon, hopefully. I am going to try and reduce use to once a day and then stop). Right now I am on Benzaclin (which is a combo clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide), and I read that some may be getting absorbed into the blood stream. Should I take some probiotics similar to if I was on an oral antibiotic? I took oral antibiotics years ago and did not have much success.

Thanks!

Hey all,

I have been going more and more holistic to try and mitigate my acne, but I have still been unable to divorce myself from topicals (I will soon, hopefully. I am going to try and reduce use to once a day and then stop). Right now I am on Benzaclin (which is a combo clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide), and I read that some may be getting absorbed into the blood stream. Should I take some probiotics similar to if I was on an oral antibiotic? I took oral antibiotics years ago and did not have much success.

Thanks!

Yes. Probiotics may help prevent antibiotic associated colitis. Clindamycin is one of the biggest culprits. Keflex is another. Lactobacillus is the most recommended (by docs in my area) to take for prophylaxis.

Lactobacillus in a product like Lactinex is taken two or three or four times a day, best with milk. You can even put it in yogurt and eat it. Don't take it if you're allergic to milk or soy. There are of course other lactobacillus products but this is the one I'm most familiar with. I have one patient currently taking it; she's on oral clindamycin for a wound infection.