Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jl1992

Has anyone tried the do-nothing regimen with their non-inflamed acne?

Hi there

for some reason or other (maybe the antibiotics i was given 4 days ago, not sure) my acne has cleared. I say cleared- I mean i don't have any big spots with pus like normal. But i still have loadsa comedones.

has anyone tried dropping everything? Its worked fo rme with inflamed acne

but what about non-inflamed?

Cheers in advance

Hmmm could be the antibiotics, cuz they start working straight away its just you dont see the results, normally, for a while.

I tried the do nothing approach a few weeks ago when my skin got really irritated and it didnt do much, ok so it gave my skin chance to recover, but blackheads etc built up. however im not on antibiotics, im starting them on thursday.

Hello!

I tried this approach when I first noticed my non-inflamed acne. At first, the whiteheads were isolated to just my cheeks area and I ignored it, but they spread all the way onto my jawline (and hairline) within a month or two. I reverted back to my skincare regimen before the whiteheads and nothing helped. After 3 months with congested skin, my visit to the dermatologist cleared everything up.

When I tried getting a facial before seeing the dermatologist, the esthetician informed me that I had a really gross crust of dead skin cells piled on top of my whiteheads. This was during my do-nothing regimen, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I tried doing nothing except using Purpose Cleanser twice daily (no salicylic or any other acne-fighting ingredients in it, just gentleness) for a month, and my comedones became much larger and looked/felt more like inflamed acne, but after going back on salicylic they smoothed out again. However, they're still here, but I just can't feel most of them. During that time, I also had many more comedogenic pimples throughout my entire face, which the salicylic helped to minimize. I wouldn't recommend trying it for non-inflamed acne.

Yes I did, and it did nothing.

I used nothing, just water twice a day. Also used fish oil and zinc, didn't help.

I now us Paulas choice/AHA, wich helped a bit.

Grtz

PS:

Also like to say that i didn't use anything like almost a year.

until I became tired of having blackheads.

After being on Accutane, Retin-A, and Obagi to clear up my acne many years ago, things were under control so I stopped everything and just stuck to face wash, toner, moisturizers and sunblock. While it worked for a couple of years, eventually blackheads really built up and I started to break out again. Mind you, I'm 29 now and my skin started to act up about 2.5 years ago (perhaps it was related to hitting a particular age).

Now I suffer mostly from non-inflamed acne, blackheads and occasional whiteheads. So far, I keep things pretty simple: AM - face wash, toner, sunblock, PM - face wash, toner, exfoliate 2-3 times a week, BP, moisturizer. I've just ordered Dan's AHA+ so I'm really hoping that it will work for the non-inflamed acne on my cheeks and forehead.

Good luck with whatever approach you decide to try :)

Yes, I have tried the do-nothing method, which for me means washing with Dove soap and leaving my skin alone. I have mentioned on this site before how well this seems to work for me. I truly believe acne is primarily genetic, which means you can try thousands of products on your skin and your still gonna get it! Sure, I think some products HELP, but even when I find something that seems to lessen my acne--I STILL GET IT! Essentially, for my oily, acne prone skin I think what it seems to like best of all is NOTHING AT ALL! I have found Dove soap to be the best for my skin type (is gentle and non-drying and/or irritating) and I think my skin thanks me when I don't lather every product known to man on it to "help" a problem that would probably arise with or without the products. I'm convinced acne is almost 100% genetically based because I have so many friends that NEVER get any pimples and they do all the things we're told not to do: go to bed with make-up, don't wash towels daily, wear hats while sweating, touch face, eating poorly, drink, smoke etc. etc. etc. Whereas for me, if I just graze a surface that hasn't been thoroughly washed I WILL GET A ZIT! My husband can put anything on his face, eat whatever he wants, wash whenever he wants AND NEVER BREAKS OUT!! Simply enough, keep it simple--your probably going to struggle with acne if someone else in your family has or does--However, as I said, SOME things I have found to help or simple not aggravate the problem more, which I posted earlier as well ("my daily regimen").

Yes, I have tried the do-nothing method, which for me means washing with Dove soap and leaving my skin alone. I have mentioned on this site before how well this seems to work for me. I truly believe acne is primarily genetic, which means you can try thousands of products on your skin and your still gonna get it! Sure, I think some products HELP, but even when I find something that seems to lessen my acne--I STILL GET IT! Essentially, for my oily, acne prone skin I think what it seems to like best of all is NOTHING AT ALL! I have found Dove soap to be the best for my skin type (is gentle and non-drying and/or irritating) and I think my skin thanks me when I don't lather every product known to man on it to "help" a problem that would probably arise with or without the products. I'm convinced acne is almost 100% genetically based because I have so many friends that NEVER get any pimples and they do all the things we're told not to do: go to bed with make-up, don't wash towels daily, wear hats while sweating, touch face, eating poorly, drink, smoke etc. etc. etc. Whereas for me, if I just graze a surface that hasn't been thoroughly washed I WILL GET A ZIT! My husband can put anything on his face, eat whatever he wants, wash whenever he wants AND NEVER BREAKS OUT!! Simply enough, keep it simple--your probably going to struggle with acne if someone else in your family has or does--However, as I said, SOME things I have found to help or simple not aggravate the problem more, which I posted earlier as well ("my daily regimen").

There are millions of people who get acne because of a food intolerance, hormonal imbalance, environmental change etc. Genetics do play a role and is the cause for some people, but certainly not 100% of all cases.

Have you had a food allergy test? Are you sure it's not hormones? There have been soo many cases where this is so and it may help your acne even more (:

I agree with the whole "less is more" thing. While this may not work for everyone it certainly helps with me. I think people with sensitive skin would benefit most, but really everyone should be gentle with their skin.