Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was just wondering if your acne as effected yout relationships all at? I would never take my shirt off with my ex-wife and needless to say she wanted it off when we had sex. THe aniety this caused me was horrible and it became easier just not to have sex with my wife. Which in turn created just alittle friction!!!

Yes, it has caused problems in my relationship. I have been married for 12 years, but still I will not let my spouse seem me naked and hardly ever without makeup on because of my acne and scars. I have scars on my face, back and shoulders from previous acne and still get moderate acne on my face. My husband is wonderful and says my scars and acne do not bother him, but they bother me immensely and I feel ashamed. I just can't seem to get over it.

It bothered me in the very beginning of my relationship with my husband. Like most people with acne I was pretty insecure about my skin, and was nervous about what he'd think the first time he saw the real me without makeup. And you know what? I agonized over nothing, because he couldn't care less about my acne. He thinks I'm just as beautiful and sexy when I'm barefaced, and that's given me confidence. He thinks I'm gorgeous when I roll out of bed in the morning, and if that's not true love I don't know what is, haha!

I know it's difficult, but stop assuming that your spouse or partner is going to recoil in horror at the sight of your skin. Love, the real kind, is based on so much more than just the way you look, and if you have that love your partner will always find you attractive, acne or no. I can't imagine not being able to be freely and completely me around my spouse, acne and all, so just let go. I think you'll find that they care far, far less about it than you think they do.

my boyfriend has never seen me without make up on! at the very least some cover up.

I hate seeing all the girls in my office in the summer looking lovely and summery at the moment with their clear skin, whilst I have to pile it on just to look decent!

I often feel that people I work with judge me on the appearance of my skin as well, as if I am nothing more than a dirty teenager, instead of doing the job that I actually do :confused:

Acne doesn't cause me relationship issues, but it has caused me to be self-conscious. My fiance could care less about my acne and assures me it's not as bad as I think, but when you're the one with the acne it is! When I'm having a bad breakout, the lights are definitely off when we're intimate. And if my back or chest is breaking out I keep my shirt on. I'm starting Accutane, so these days are numbered, but looking back, it would have been so nice not having to worry about my skin around my fiance.

Acne doesn't cause me relationship issues, but it has caused me to be self-conscious. My fiance could care less about my acne and assures me it's not as bad as I think, but when you're the one with the acne it is! When I'm having a bad breakout, the lights are definitely off when we're intimate. And if my back or chest is breaking out I keep my shirt on. I'm starting Accutane, so these days are numbered, but looking back, it would have been so nice not having to worry about my skin around my fiance.

hey i can not message you back ive exceedd my limit do you have myspace or something just message me it.. i can recieve messages i just cant send till midnight thanks.

Guest missyjean130

acne has never prevented me from getting hot ass boyfriends...HOWEVER, some of the perfect skinned ones used to tease me about it. They were joking,but unknowingly hurt my feelings.

I'm clear now and I still get the same number of guys hitting on me. Acne made me insecure,but it didn't effect my love life whatsoever.

No. It hasn't. Speak to your wife about it, and listen to her response. If it honestly doesn't bother her, then you have to try and let go of the anxiety.

I always get really nervous before showing significant others my makeup-less skin for the first time in the relationship - actually, that goes for certain friendships, as well. However, I have never actually had anyone insult me about my skin without makeup in that situation, just like I would never insult anyone else about it if they were in my shoes.

Acne really isn't as big as a deal as we make it seem when it is our own problem.

I've never even been close to being in a relationship :cry: and I'd say that it's because I have no confidence whatsoever because of acne & acne scars, so yeah it's definitely affected me in that aspect of life, unfortunately. And the worst part of it is looking in the mirror and trying to figure out how anyone in their right mind could find that mess attractive, and realizing that I'm not likely to be in any relationships soon because I have no social life at all. So I'd even go as far as saying that acne singlehandedly killed any chance I had of being a normal person and having a normal life. Sorry if I seem melodramatic or anything; it's just really depressing to think about.

I've never even been close to being in a relationship :cry: and I'd say that it's because I have no confidence whatsoever because of acne & acne scars, so yeah it's definitely affected me in that aspect of life, unfortunately. And the worst part of it is looking in the mirror and trying to figure out how anyone in their right mind could find that mess attractive, and realizing that I'm not likely to be in any relationships soon because I have no social life at all. So I'd even go as far as saying that acne singlehandedly killed any chance I had of being a normal person and having a normal life. Sorry if I seem melodramatic or anything; it's just really depressing to think about.

Only because you let it. Despite having acne through high school and college I still dated numerous guys, had a large group of friends, and met and married my husband. It's all in your mindset. If you have a defeatist attitude about it, then you've let acne win.

^ You're right, of course. It's really hard to break out of that mindset though because I'm super obsessed about how I come across to others. Even here, I'm worried about coming across as self-absorbed and whiny for turning this thread into something about me. But that kind of social awkwardness is what you get after having no friends at all for the past seven years or so. You lose the ability to relate to others well.

*sigh* I thought I was done thinking of how much I love and miss my ex for today, but then I read this. Life sucks.

Now that I'm thinking of her again I might as well tell you my experience. Amazing girl named Maria, we went out for about a year and it was perfect. 7 of the months we went out I was on Accutane so I guess that shows how much she didn't care about my skin. Anyway about a month ago she just came out and said "I don't love you anymore" (No explanation or elaboration) and she won't talk to me and she's going to grad with some random guy. Still not even barely over her. But about the acne...I think it really depends what kind of person it is, some will care some won't.

And if shes willing to have sex with you it's a good bet she doesn't care about acne.

Best of luck to you... Now I'm depressed.

acne has never prevented me from getting hot ass boyfriends...HOWEVER, some of the perfect skinned ones used to tease me about it. They were joking,but unknowingly hurt my feelings.

I'm clear now and I still get the same number of guys hitting on me. Acne made me insecure,but it didn't effect my love life whatsoever.

your lucky although i only have mild acne i have not looked good since i havent had acne, i think its alot easier for girls with acne.

I've never even been close to being in a relationship [...] So I'd even go as far as saying that acne singlehandedly killed any chance I had of being a normal person and having a normal life.

You hit the nail on the head... exactly the same for me. 23 years old, 10 years of massive acne from face to back. Mix that with being shy and you get a social wreck beyond repair. I've never had a gf/kissed/not even hold hands.. the yearning for a relationship is beyond words.

Sometimes I wish it would literally kill me, at least it would be over then.

I am definitely different with my fiance if I have a breakout. Even when it's clear I'm not that keen on him seeing me without make-up cos of the red marks but when it's spotty, eurgh, I always try to keep him away from me. Sometimes I won't even have a kiss cos it will rub the make-up off and I don't want that. My confidence is hugely improved when it's clear and I don't worry about what he thinks half as much. Of course he always says that he loves me and fancies me despite the spots but I find that so hard to believe. I have been clear for about 8 weeks now since starting Spironolactone and I'm loving the fact I don't worry so much.