Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caitie

Another Accutane Journey for your reading! :w00t:

Helloooo everyone! I know there are so many logs, but I hope you all aren't sick of them and will help me throughout my Accutane adventure.

I'm Caitie, and I'm 19 years old. I first noticed I was getting acne when I was in 6th grade, and I'm now a sophomore in college. It obviously started out as little zits and fairly controllable with ProActiv (lame) and other topicals. I remember my brother had very severe acne and he went on Accutane, but I hardly paid attention to how his skin changed.

Anyway...I believe the first medicine I took for my acne was Minocycline and then used Duac gel or something with that. I've gone through the entire tier of antibiotics and have been on Ampicillin + Spironolactone for the past 6 months. My skin has made that transition from hormonal acne to adult acne, and it's just plain stubborn. I have terribly oily skin, but I have tiny tiny pores, and I think that's why my skin is so hard to clear up. I have tiny bumps all over my forehead, the same bumps on my cheeks, and I get cysts on each side of my cheeks and on my chin. I rarely get blackheads, but I will randomly find a few on my nose.

I finally got approved for Accutane in April, but I had to wait. I had a blood clot in my lung in January and have been on Coumadin for 6 months, which I finally went off on June 1st! Yay! I wasn't allowed to take Accutane with Coumadin so I had to wait. I was so devastated that I had to wait another 3 months before I could start taking Accutane. And then I had to wait some more because the nurse that was supposed to register me with iPledge didn't do it when she was supposed to. She did it 2 WEEKS LATER. Ugh, but I've been patient, and with the use of Mario Badescu products, my skin has been under control and staying somewhat clear.

So I'm starting Accutane on June 15, next Monday! I am so excited! I'm also pretty nervous because I tend to have bad luck, and I don't know what the side effects may do to me.

I would like some help before I start. I'm going to the store tomorrow to pick up all of my needed supplies for my course.

I'm getting:

Aquaphor, which I've used forever and I love it!

Heavy, greasy Cetaphil moisturizer for night time

Fish oil supplements mmm

Chapstick

Do I need anything else??

xoxo

Caitie

don't forget sunblock.

oh, and saline spray for the inside of your nose in case it decides to screw with you and not get boogery.

Oh right sunblock! I never burn because I have a pretty tan/olive skin tone, but I should pick some up. I've never heard of using saline spray in your nose, but it's worth a shot!

Thanks!

You remind me of me, lol. My sister took Accutane in high school (I was probably in 6th or 7th grade at the time) and I don't know that I was ever even aware she had bad skin. I saw a picture of it once many years later and was like, "How did your skin clear up??" and she was all, "I took accutane, I can't believe you don't remember!" Well her skin is amazing now, and I am hoping for similar results.

As for stuff to buy, I would recommend flax seed oil (not the pills, but an actual bottle of the oil) and take a tablespoon or two daily. I'm sort of suspicious of flaxseed oil in pill form because the oil has to be refrigerated, but the pills are always out on the shelves at room temperature.

I'm also taking 400 IUs of vitamin E daily.

Hmm, that's all I can think of. Good luck, I can't wait to hear how this works out for you!

Oh right sunblock! I never burn because I have a pretty tan/olive skin tone, but I should pick some up. I've never heard of using saline spray in your nose, but it's worth a shot!

Thanks!

gl i should be taking it soon as well =]

Ok here's the list of stuff I got, thanks to y'alls help!

Fish Oil pills (there's no Vitamin A listed on the bottle, so I guess that means it doesn't contain any?)

Vitamin E 400 IU

Biotin 5mg for my hair

Vitamin B Complex

Vitamin C 1000mg

More Aquaphor-a tub and the little travel tubes

CeraVe lotion-I figured this was better than the Cetaphil. I hate Cetaphil lotion, it's gross

Eye drops-I wear contacts and I'm really hoping my eyes don't get too dry because I hate wearing my glasses even though they look cute

Chapstick-Say Yes to Carrots brand, this chapstick is AWESOME. Try it.

Hair Conditioning Mask

anddd that was it! I didn't get saline spray because I don't know if I will have nosebleeds or a really dry nose so I figured I'd wait. I looked through my cabinets and I already had plenty of sunscreen.

Hopefully all of this will lessen the severity of my side effects. I'm so excited! 6 more days :)

And my boyfriend is flying in this weekend, too! So that's great. I'm making him come to the dermatologist with me on Monday...at 8:30 in the morning! Ha.

I'm going to put my before pictures up fairly soon. I hate reading logs without seeing the progress!

Thanks everybody :)

xoxo

Caitie

I just started today, and hopefully the side effects won't be too bad to handle.

hope it'll clear up as soon as possible... and best of luck to you!!! :-*

btw what dose will you be taking ??

Libby: I am not sure yet, probably a lower one. I only weigh 105 lbs, but my dermatologist didn't say what she wanted to put me on. I think she wanted to see what my skin looks like after not being on any medication for the past month. I'm guessing around 40mg?

I'll let you know on Monday!

Good luck to you :)

Hello...I weight 115 so and I am on 40mg and my derm specifically said that is not changing so I doubt you get over that. I feel you pain, I was intially suppose to start tane in Jan but b/c of ipledge and finishing school (loss my insurance coverage with my dad), and starting a new job (had to wait a month for insurance coverage to kick in) I did not start until March. However, I had great results. Plus you are taking excellent vitamins to help with your course. It is also great that you are using a greasy moisturizer at night, it will def help with the dryness. Hmmm, one more thing, I also use aquaphor heavy during the first month or so but since my lips are not too dry anymore Chapstick works fine but I do notice that I cannot use lipglosses b/c my lips are peeling. It is not bad at all and I drink alot of water.

Anywho, good luck with the course and I will follow your log.....Remember to SMILE!

Today's the day!!! I just got back from my dermatologist's office and am now answering my questions for iPledge. It's such a pain, the whole system! I can't wait to go get my prescription :)

Today's the day!!! I just got back from my dermatologist's office and am now answering my questions for iPledge. It's such a pain, the whole system! I can't wait to go get my prescription :)

i go tommrow =] let me know how yours go.

Day 1

Wow! So I went to the pharmacy and they gave me the generic (Sotret), which is okay even though I've never taken generic anything but it's the same medicine so whatever. I'm on 40mg once a day. I'm so ready to be done with acne, and now I know there is a definitive end in sight!

Popped the first pill like 20 minutes ago. I've been hydrating for weeks, so hopefully my side effects won't be too horrible.

I'll keep you updated :)

Day 2

Just took my second pill! Yesterday I had a slight headache, but I get headaches a lot anyway so I don't think it was the meds. I was also kind of tired.

I noticed this morning that one of my cysts on my cheek had already gone down in size. Hopefully, it's kicking in!

I must confess, I picked and popped today :naughty: I couldn't help it though. I'm getting better with it, but it's so hard! Any tips on how to stop?

Days 3, 4, 5, 6

On Wednesday my skin seemed really clear. Several of my cysts reduced in size, but I started to get little whiteheads on my nose and I never break out on my nose. No dryness yet, but I was using a lot more moisturizer than I normally do so I don't get super dry.

Thursday was about the same as Wednesday. Pretty bad headache. I decided to start taking to pill at night so I don't get headaches all day long.

Friday I noticed a couple of cysts on my chin and more breakouts on my nose. I saw a little bit of peeling and my lips were definitely more dry. My eyes dried out a lot too, so I take my contacts out in the afternoon now.

Today is Saturday Day 6!

Still kinda blah. My boyfriend left today :( So I'm pretty sad, but I'm so happy I got to see him! I'm going to visit him in a few weeks. My lips are really dry today, so I've been using a lot of Aquaphor. I'm drinking a lot of water too. I haven't taken my pill today, but I will with my dinner tonight.

Hope you all are doing well!

sotret is good stuff even though it is generic. I think I had more side effects when I had to go on claravis b/c the pharm I used stopped buying sotret =(. anways, good luck on your course!

CeraVe lotion is the best too.

Thanks ToanWLOHA! I'm going to make sure I stick with Sotret now that I've started it. The pharmacist said its best to stay with one brand of a medication, so I will definitely do that.

Day 7-1 week tomorrow :)

Today I woke up feeling terribly lethargic. My face seemed a little less oily than usual, but still noticeable. I currently have 4 huge cysts that hurt so badly, could this be an IB or is it too early? I keep breaking out on and around my nose, and there are a bunch of blackheads which I never get. My nose and cheeks have started to peel a little. My forehead looks pretty clear, and those tiny under the skin bumps that you can never get out are starting to flatten and disappear. I also acquired a zit on the top of my lip. It KILLS. I hate those they are soooo painful :(

I can't wear my contacts for the whole day, so I've been wearing my glasses more. My lips are getting a little dry, and they are a lot more red. I guess the side effects are kicking in!

Hopefully this is my IB now, because that would be great if I can get it early and out of the way!

Hey Caitie! That's great that we started on the same day with the same dose, but I weigh about 40 more pounds than you. Did your derma set a specific course for you (like how many months) or is yours like my derma who doesn't know quite yet? In any case, I'll be checking in with you!

Angie: Ugh no my derm didn't set a course for me either! My face had cleared up a few weeks before I started, so hopefully I'll have good results and only have to be on it for 4 months. But that's just wishful thinking! We shall see!

Day 8

So today was the official one week mark. I still have those cysts, but they seemed to go down in size a smidgen. I went out to lunch with a friend today and noticed my makeup stayed on longer than usual, which is good because that means my face isn't as oily! She said my skin looked really good :)

No headache today! Maybe my body is finally adjusting, and I won't get headaches anymore. I'm drinking lots of water and using chapstick/aquaphor alllll the time. My lips definitely feel better today. A little more dryness on my nose, and a tiny bit on my chin but elsewhere I haven't seen anything yet. I have been getting some actives in my scalp?? Is that weird? I have some T-Sal shampoo so I'll start using that and see if they go away.

A picked a bit today, unfortunately. It's so hard to not pick! Especially if you see something you know you can pop.

I too just started Accutane!!! Don't forget LOTS of waterrrr! (:

I'm definitely going to keep up with your thread. Best of LUCK...

XOXO- stephanie

Morning Regimen:

Wash Face w/ Cetaphil

Neutrogena SPF 75

Moisturize w/ Origins Plantidote Mega Mushroom Face Serum (LOVEEEEE IT)

1000mg Fax seed Oil

2000mg Omega-3 Fish Oil

Vitamin E

Nightly Regimen:

Wash Face w/ Cetaphil

Moisturize w/ CeraVe

40mg Accutane

Yaz

hello again miss caitie! (:

I can totally relate about how ridiculously hard it is not to pick! Whenever I sit in front of my makeup mirror, all I see is stuff I want to pop and pick at! It feels good taking out your anger on what's making you angry.

I'll keep my eye on your log! (:

Sarah

Sarah and Stephanie thanks for checking in! I hope you guys are doing well :)

Sorry for the lack of updating, I've been super busy!

So the past few days were alright, my skin looked pretty good and wasn't as oily. And then BAM! my lips feel like they are about to fall off my face and my skin is soooooo dry and peeling. I'm not getting a large amount of break outs per say, like with huge cysts and stuff, but I am getting lots of whiteheads and blackheads. I guess I'd rather have those.

I always take my pill at night now. It seems that this has stopped my headaches.

Day 13

Today I woke up and my lips were on fire :( They are cracked and peeling and bleeding and huge. I guess the huge part is ok, it makes me look like I have pouty Angelina lips. No matter how much aquaphor I put on them it's not getting better. It hurts so bad, but I guess this is what we get right? Also, I got a little rash on my arm yesterday, but I put some cortizone cream on it and now it's fine. My neck has been feeling kind of itchy and it looks like it's developing into a rash too.

So weird. My scalp is pretty dry so I started using head and shoulders, hopefully that will help.

I try to drink like 3 nalgene bottles a day. I guess I will try to drink more and see if it helps. But I have to pee ALL the time. I'd rather go to the bathroom 342 times a day than have my side effects keep up the way they are.

I also have a little cold :( I think my body is like in shock that I'm putting it through this. I'm about to go get some medicine and tea.

Here are a few pictures. Mind you, they are taken on my mac so you can't really see much of what is actually on my face. I have a lot of those comedones? The ones that are really small and don't come out. Ok, that said, enjoy my face.

post-60977-1246127934_thumb.jpg

post-60977-1246127948_thumb.jpg

post-60977-1246127958_thumb.jpg

post-60977-1246128005_thumb.jpg

post-60977-1246127934_thumb.jpg

post-60977-1246127948_thumb.jpg

post-60977-1246127958_thumb.jpg

post-60977-1246128005_thumb.jpg

heya your skin looks great now..anyway wish you good luck..i just started with iotretinoin from june 17th and have terrible breakouts:(..my doctor put me on..ISOACE which contains...20mg of isotretinoin heard of it?..GOd bless!!

Jediv-no I've never heard of that before, I'm assuming it's fairly new? Good luck to you!

So the past few days my lips have been a mess. I look like I have herpes, it's uber gross. I went to see Transformers last night with my brother, and I had to put stuff on my lips literally every 5 minutes so I could hardly enjoy the movie. It was really good by the way! Anyway my face was looking good until I had to go and pick at it. It's my own fault, but I'm really mad at myself. I think I might try using olive oil on my red spots tonight. We shall see how it goes.

Today is Day 15! I am kind of confused about that number because I started on July 15, but if I count days then today is day 15, but it's been two weeks since I started? I don't know how that quite works haha I probably sound really dumb, but I'm not I promise!

Finally, my face is not oily anymore! Like at all. It is such a relief to be able to wear makeup for an entire day and not reapply. I'm peeling and flaking in a few spots, but it's not that bad. All of my little rashy type things are gone or almost gone, so that's good. Those don't bother me because I have sensitive skin anyway and usually get eczema or hives every few months. No big.

I popped a few things, which I really need to stop doing. I have a no picking sign with a picture from a magazine of this girl with incredible skin (100% airbrushed, but still)-it's my skinspiration. But I can't seem to stop. I'm always like, "it's just a sign, it's not like it can stop me". So lame. Whatever, so I popped some things and have a few red marks. I have a couple of cysts that are just hanging out, and a new one just appeared on my forehead. Lovely. I feel like I'm kind of getting an IB, but it's not as bad as I expected so I'm thinking it could get worse? All the comedones (the ones you can't see in pictures) are still just hanging out. It's very frustrating.

My nose is also super dry and bleeding, but I'm not getting nosebleeds so there's a plus. Eyes hurt. Throat's dry. That is all.

Anyway, hopefully it will get better soon.

Xoxo,

Caitie

Hey girl! I got my IB yesterday which was my 21st birthday lol. Talk about good timing! Things are calming down but it's only been a day, so...there's this thing going on at my fiance's friend's house on Friday and I only want to go if my skin is looking better. :( We'll see. Hope this is not an IB for you!

Angie-sorry you got your IB on your bday :( I've got mine now too, but it's going away pretty quickly.

Yesterday was sucky. My lips were worse than ever and they were blistering and bleeding. Then my family wanted to go to a baseball game to meet up with my grandparents, but we got stuck in traffic for over an hour. When we finally parked somewhere, we had to walk like 15 minutes and it was so hot and sunny. I put sun screen on but I could just feel myself burning. That's so weird for me because I'm Italian and never burn. Anyway, my grandparents were already in the game, but by the time we got there the line for tickets was outside of the stadium, which was ridiculous. My dad didn't want to wait in the line so we left and went somewhere to eat. We went to this place called Flip that one of the contestants on Top Chef owns, and it was delicious. The only problem was that I could hardly enjoy my burger because every time I bit into it, my lips started burning :( It seems no matter how much water I drink or aquaphor I put on they aren't getting better.

Today is Day 17! I can't believe I'm over halfway through my first month. I woke up with surprise, really dry lips. Like Sahara Desert dry. I exfoliated them with Co Bigelow Mentha Lip Buffer and that helped a little. They aren't as blistery today so that made me happy.

As far as skin goes, yesterday it was pretty red. Today it's not. I have three new cysts on my forehead and they are so close together that it looks like a giant mound on my face. But they have already gone down in size since last night. Everything seems to be going away, just very slowly. I also noticed I have a ton of blackheads on my nose. That never happens. It's ok though because I have freckles on my nose so they aren't that noticeable. I'd rather have blackheads instead of nasty cysts.

My face is very dry today as well. Especially the skin on my eyebrows. I thought that was kind of strange. My scalp is dry, too so I've started using head and shoulders for my regular shampoo instead of every now and then.

That's about it for today.