Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CWtheGreat

Why is it that whenever I work out, my acne gets really bad?

Anytime I work out, my acne gets really bad. I've even gone out of my way to take a shower immediately after working out so I don't have sweat on my face. I do not take any sort of protein/creatine/supplements/steroids when I work out. I've experimented time and time again and every single time, working out causes my acne, I'm now 100% sure of it. I'm taking zinc and I have a very controlled diet. If I don't work out but do everything else in my regimen, I'm clear. When I add weight-lifting to the mix, I break out really bad. The worst thing about it is that the pimples that I get are very large (especially compared to the "normal" acne I get) and takes forever to go away, leaving marks in the process.

What's the deal? I really want to work out more, it makes me feel good and look good. However, a day or two later and I've got spots on my face. What exactly is causing this? Could it be B vitamin depletion? As I said before, I take 50mg of Zinc Picolinate on a daily basis so it isn't zinc deficiency.

i have read in books that weight lifting raises hormones. they say if you want to work out then do yoga or lighter exercise but i know that's not what guys want to hear.

Exercise and indeed sweating (providing you do wash it off) is beneficial for skin, which makes me wonder if it is something in your diet that could be triggering such a reaction. What do you commonly eat in a given day?

same here, when i used to lift weights i would break out also, it really sucks because I try to do something good for my body and acne takes over. What i do is exercise with light weights, which doesn't break me out but at the same time, gives me a nice tone body.

What sort of exercise are you doing? Are you breathing properly? I know that's a huge factor for me; if I go heavy/fast and don't force myself to breath properly, I can aggravate my acne.

How about meals before/after working out? Are you giving your body enough time to digest your meal before you work out?

I have no issue lifting heavy weights.

What sort of exercise are you doing? Are you breathing properly? I know that's a huge factor for me; if I go heavy/fast and don't force myself to breath properly, I can aggravate my acne.

How about meals before/after working out? Are you giving your body enough time to digest your meal before you work out?

you shoudl exhale when using force and inhale when contracting.

Also workout out does increase hormone levels, but it will be good for the long run Its just natural.

And you should atleast take some whey isolate protein post workout. especially if your weight training.

i have read in books that weight lifting raises hormones. they say if you want to work out then do yoga or lighter exercise but i know that's not what guys want to hear.

I was thinking the same thing about the hormones. I wish guys wouldn't be so objectionable to yoga! It's wonderful! (I'm sure Rodney Yee agrees) and there are plenty of variants of faster paced Yoga's that help to achieve good muscle, too. I guess, of course, if you're going for that ultra buff look, it may not want to do it, because Yoga tends to give you muscles, but your muscles are more lean.

I have no issue lifting heavy weights.

When I exercise I don't breath normally. I actually hold my breath while exercising, I don't know why! And I have no acne!

It basically depends on your capacity to tolerate and deal with physical stress. If your digestion is great, nutritional status is great and emotional/physical health is good then it may not be a significant issue. But if your health is compromised in any way, then heavy/intense lifting will draw on your already limited resources and could break you out and cause other health problems.

IMO, best to fix underlying health issues before you begin heavy lifting. Light/moderate exercise can be beneficial; one good rule of thumb is to find a regimen that allows you to feel energized after your exercise rather than drained/exhausted and to make it enjoyable (ie something you look forward to).