Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
balancing act

thyroxine, dry sensitive skin with acne

After a struggle with adolescent acne (excessive milia caused by polycystic ovaries, mineral oils and paraffin in make up and skin care) I found my solution with DIANE ED and gentle, natural skin care at the age of 28. Visits to doctor / dermatologist and prescription topical Retin A made my skin so bad I refused to leave the house. Tretinoin was never an option as I have read the data, wanted children and wasn't prepared to risk my health or that of my babies.

3 years ago, I was diagnosed with hashimotos. I had felt the symptoms for years leading up to the diagnosis but doctors kept telling me they could find nothing wrong. (My advice to everyone is that YOU KNOW YOUR BODY BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE. If you feel that there is something wrong, keep on exploring all avenues until you find your answers.) Thyroxine 50mg made a huge change to my life. weight dropped off, mental alertness was back but then after 6 months, started to fall into depression. Dealt with it naturally through positive thought patterns ( no drugs thanks) and all is well now. My skin is still dry, I am still constipated but things are much better. Last week, I was told that hashis has progressed and my thyroxine levels need to be increased. In one week, with higher dose, I've already lost weight and my face is starting to look haggard.

Yes, this will be a balancing act. And, because my skin is so important, I was distressed when a raised patch (like a blind pimple but it wasn't) appeared on my left cheek.

I treat my skin with LA CLINICA's GLY C range (to treat old acne scars and exfoliate) and sensitive skin range to replenish dryness and calm it. My skin responds so well and is finally healthy and glowing. It does not clog my pores but it treats the dryness. I wear a CHANEL foundation that I don't react to and again, do not clog my pores. I take BLACKMORES vitamins - B complex. I talk big doses of vitamin C. I try to eat well and this needs improvement.

My fear with thyroxine is that I feel breathless when walking uphill and I am afraid that my heart could be stressed. I am now in my early 40's. Any advice on the impact of thyroxine on the heart muscle?

:confused: