Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
allysaurus

Foundation that won't make you break out?

Unlike many people on this board, I have dry dry dry skin. I don't know why I break out so much because my skin is already dry to begin with, and with the over the counter topical creams I've been using, my face just peels everywhere. I have no idea what kind of foundation I'm supposed to use!

Right now, I'm just using a very very light Benefit foundation that goes from cream to powder, but the coverage is extremely minimal (and I mean barely ANYTHING. It just slightly evens out skin tone...SLIGHTLY) and it's also very drying. Do you gals have any recommendations?

I've tried liquid foundation from Clinique before. Liquid clearly works better on dry skin, but it made me break out in cystic pimples all the time, especially in the summer. I just need something that covers and won't make me break out.

Any concealer suggestions too, actually? I use the concealer from Neutrogena that's supposed to help fight pimples as well. I like it because I can put it directly on my pimples without worrying about making them any worse, but its also verrryyyyy veryyyy drying.

maybelline colorstay for dry skin is the best i've found. still feels kinda dry on your face but it stays smooth and doesn't start to crack/flake.

Unlike many people on this board, I have dry dry dry skin.

I have dry AND sensitive skin. The ultimate worst combination, because most products designed for acne that I have used make my skin dryer and make me break out!

I use Revlon Colorstay for oily skin, believe it or not it's a better formula than the one for dry skin. I tried Colorstay for dry skin and it was horrible, really sticky and didn't dry.

im using Retin A gel and that tends to dry areas of my face out. i have been using Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation. its great! it lasts 12 hours, covers great and is fien on dry bits

How do you guys apply this foundation? With your fingers, or a sponge, or Mac's stippling brush? I'm pretty foundation-retarded.

It's weird because Clinique is supposed to be skin-friendly but their liquid foundation makes me break out in crazy cysts...I hope it doesn't happen with these products!

Wow, thanks for such a detailed reply. I really appreciate it!

You know, I think the dryness of my skin IS self-induced. With my face wash, toner, and topical creams that I put on every night, my T-zone is permanently dry and flakey, even after I exfoliate! The problem is if I don't put on my Mario Badescu products at night then I'll most likely wake up with a breakout...I have naturally dry skin but before I hit my acne years it just meant my skin would feel tight unless I moisturized. It's only been the past year that my skin has actually started to peel...

I've heard good things about Laura Mercier's Silk Creme foundation but the price tag has always driven me away. I actually never thought to spot test it on my acne prone areas...I'm going to do a little research on this product and then hopefully pick it up at Sephora and try it out. Would it be strange to put the foundation out and then go for a run? I usually find that I break out from foundation after I start sweating (like on a hot summer day) so if I manage to stay clear after sweating with the foundation on then I think I'll have found a keeper.

My friends have always told me that MAC makeup is more stage makeup and isn't very good for your skin but it seems like quite a few people on these boards wear MAC makeup so I might have to look into their products again...

I looked into both Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown (makeupalley) and it looks like LM's Silk Creme Foundation got decent reviews...of course it's mixed I just hate trying new products and breaking out like crazy...takes weeks to calm my skin down and then months after that for the marks to fade. I guess that's a price I have to pay in order to find the perfect foundation.

Thanks for the tips! I wish my skin was clear enough to be able to just go without foundation...I feel like every and all foundations will break me out...even the most sheer ones seem to aggravate my skin :(

Duchamp, I have the same problem with both dryness and extra oiliness. I have been using GloMinerals Tinted Base (basically a tinted mineral moisturizer) for the dryness and then I apply the GloMinerals Pressed Base with a powder brush to matte it out. It seems to combat both the allover flakiness and oilies at the end of the day. The combination of the 2 seems to really balance me out.

Hello, I have combination dry skin as well. My skin doesn't flake a lot, but when I use drying products on it I break out HORRIBLY.

As far as Clinique goes, it can make you break out worse. I was using their skin care system and foundation for about 6 months, and my acne became so bad that I went to a derm. The derm said that I actually had an infectionof acne on my face. Some people just have bad reactions to the sallycic acid, it seems like it makes my pimples spread to other areas of my face. It might have just been Clinique's skin care and harsh toner, not necessarily their foundation.

I don't use products with sallycic acid anymore, and I've switched to using the mildest products I can to clean (like cetaphil), with only using benzoyl peroxide (BP) as my spot treatment. BP is good for combo skin especially, because it sort of 'seals off' the pimple and treats it from there, which means no spreading.

Mario Badescu - watch out! Their products, especially the toner, is too drying for dry skin. I do like their pink pimple cream, but seriously think about switching to skin care that's much more gentle and using BP for a topical treatment.

Also, MAC was horrible for my skin. I used their Studio Fix pressed powder last year, and I wanted to hide in a cave. My skin had never been so broken out before. It has the same effect as baby powder - it dries up all oil your skin produces, but that means your skin can't breathe ALL day.

I've been using Dior's foundation and compact for the past 2 years, but I'm thinking about changing because I suspect it's not noncomedogenic. It has really good coverage though and stays on all day. It's expensive but it also lasts a while since I don't have to reapply every 4 hours like other makeup. I don't use Dior's skin care line because it's meant for anti-aging, which is bad news for acne sufferers, since the creams that repair wrinkles clog pores. I'm thinking of trying Bare Essentials or Neutrogena. I tried Bare Essentials last year and got almost no coverage from it, but I might give it another try. Any recommendations on good coverage and good for skin?

Hey... I use Almay TLC foundation and it hasn't made me break out at all. I put aveeno positively radiant moisturizer on and put the foundation on with my fingers almost right after. I think with dry skin its best to apply with your fingers cuz it warms up the makeup and goes on smoother. For me mineral makeup looks too cakey or dry. I dislike Clinique makeup.. it looks orange on most people haha

i use perscriptives right now,its expensive but so far so good! no new breakouts! its oli free. i used neautrogena for a long time though,you can get it at walgreens for like 10 bucks! :)