Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Esoterique

Black hair and Accutane

So...I have an appt with my dermatologist tomorrow and we're to discuss that dreaded last resort...I've read everything I could find about it but I have yet to find anything that discusses the effect of Accutane on Black hair (specifically on dreads). Do they fall out? Is it incredibly noticeable?

So basically I was wondering if any of you here used (or knew someone who used) Accutane and the effects it had on your (their) hair whether it be natural (i.e. Afro, twists, cornrows etc) or dreadlocked? Did your locks start falling out? I'm terrified of that happening!

Great question! I'm curious, too. Hopefully someone can answer this for you.

Well as far as dreadlocks go i don't see them falling out because from what i understand is you attach 'fake' (please excuse me for saying that) hair to your exisiting hair? you likely won't go bald from accutane but the worst case scenario is your hair will constantly shed at an insane rate meaning you can't grow your hair very long and it will thin considerably. But as i said from what i understand on dreads is that so long as you have some of your own hair it should work just fine?

Traction alopecia and other forms of alopecia aren't generally anymore likely to occur on tane than off tane.

I have heard of accutane induced hairloss in black people, even though most black people have great genetics when it comes to hairloss, genetics in 95% of accutane induced hairloss cases doesn't play a role... despite what the doctor or derm might try to tell you if you suffer hairloss.

Keep your dose low and hopefully you won't experience any hairloss atall....

I'm in AA female whose been on Tane for 3 months now. 40mg for 2, then 60mg for last month. I am actually relaxed, and I was scared of what would become of my shoulder length thick hair. I know in general AA hair is much drier than others. So with Tane it'll get even more dry. In the first few weeks I experienced a flaky scalp. I used regular dandruff shampoo and was good. I even relaxed my hair all three months and surprisingly have not experienced any scalp burns or major shedding/breakage. All normal stuff, which I contribute to deep conditioning my hair at least 2x/week. Also used constant moisturizer. Now I'm not natural so I have no suggestions, with dreads how u particularly care for them. But I know other naturals who took Tane and did their same routine (maybe with increase moisturizer) and they had no problems.

Just treat your hair like u would ur skin while on these meds (moisture,moisture,moisture)...PLENTY OF WATER and maybe biotin supplements too. Forgot to mention I also took biotin which may have contributed to my hair staying nice and healthy.

HTH

First off, thanks for answering :D

Well as far as dreadlocks go i don't see them falling out because from what i understand is you attach 'fake' (please excuse me for saying that) hair to your exisiting hair?

First off, thanks for answering :D

Well as far as dreadlocks go i don't see them falling out because from what i understand is you attach 'fake' (please excuse me for saying that) hair to your exisiting hair?

(Oh you're excused lol. It's fine. Synthetic hair = fake hair :) ). Anyhoo, what you're referring to there is braids...umm I'm not sure where you're from but they might call it something different there. Here's a link to a pic so we're on the same page (not sure if it is copyrighted or not, so I'm just playing it safe with a link): [http://millersbraiding.net/images/braids%20for%20cards%20copy.jpg%20123.jpg]

Dreadlocks are entirely different, though. They can look the same so I can see how they can be mixed up:).With dreadlocks it's entirely your hair, from root to tip: [http://www.islandmix.com/backchat/f21/pics-locs-127318/]

Individual hair strands are weaved together to form a loc and these locs are tightened (usually with a lot of pulling and tugging) when there is new growth. Oh also, hair doesn't really shed. Old hair is trapped in the loc. (It's less gross than it sounds, lol.)

But based on what you said (sorry if I'm overbearing, I'm just trying to get this straight) the hair may start thinning?

Traction alopecia and other forms of alopecia aren't generally anymore likely to occur on tane than off tane.

Okay. Got that. So, are you implying that although Accutane in itself doesn't make hair loss more probable, if it's used by genetically (or otherwise) predisposed individuals, THEN is it more likely for hair loss to occur?

From all this, I hope to put together some sort of picture, so I can know what to expect with regards to the dreadlocks. Seems there are no dreadlocked acne sufferers on here :confused:

tbooth, I've only now seen your reply...Thanks:)

So...moisture? Any particular products you used? My derm has pretty much eliminated everything in my haircare regimen and replaced it with anti-dandruff shampoo...

Thanks for explaining the dreadlocks, you learn somthing every day!! what i mean about the genetics is that they don't really come into it... Even if everyone in your family for the past 5 generations have perfect hair you can still suffer tane hairloss just the same as anyone else...

Now having said that females to tend to fair a bit better with accutane hairloss and generally don't receed TO much just general thinning. It can persist for a lifetime but so long as you keep your dose low this is unlikely.

After explaining dreadlocks to me i don't see a problem, it won't make the hairloss any more likely to occur. I wouldn't have them tightened up on your course to often though.... Maybe once early on?

Well my hair routine may be different from yours since I'm relaxed. So u may not need to use anything except the shampoo for washing. Maybe a little oil? Pure Coconut oil is very moisturizing. Tea tree oil helps with itching/irritation but must be applied carefully (diluted with another oil) or it can burn. I use all these plus regular deep conditioners from the beauty supply store.

lamarr: Okay. I completely get it now:D Thanks so much!

tbooth: I'll try the coconut oil. I understand that it has very powerful, distinct scent so, I'll probably get a few funny looks because of where I'm from though Lol.

I'd still love it if anyone had anything else to add to this topic. First hand experience would be pretty awesome.