Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HateANDLove

Get insurance BEFORE you even talk to your derm about accutane!!

Ugh, I am so disgusted. My mother was laid off, so we no longer have insurance... alas her insurance was crappy to begin with, none the less I have been trying relentlessly these past few weeks to get just myself insured to help cover the costs of accutane and no one will accept me, and why is that?? Because I already have "in the books for ipledge" accutane crap written down. This is total bullshit. I didn't even have my first prescription I was still in the waiting period... yet no "I can be accepted but we cannot cover anything regarding acne or accutane as it is already written in your records as a pre-diagnosed condition and that would result in no profit for us, if you had our insurance before you were prescribed accutane, we would of been obligated to cover it. Have a nice day." !!!!! Please don't make this same mistake, had I gotten myself good insurance before being entered into ipledge etc. I would not be in this situation. I can't begin to tell you how bitter I feel having to fork over 226$ for my prescription, and that doesn't include lab testing, nor the 80$+ derm visits, nor my 60$ a month birthcontrol. Joy. Also, 226$ is the cheapest price I've found which is at target. :(. So to anyone out there, I highly suggest you get good insurance before even SPEAKING to your derm about accutane.

1. Ask your derm if he offers discounts to people without insurance. My eye dr. and dentist both do this, so it's a shot.

2. Get your BCPs from Planned Parenthood. Should be less than $60, if not FREE.

3. Figure you will spend $350 a month for the next 5 months. That's still less than $2,000. If this works and your skin clears up, you are getting away cheap. I have probably spent at least that on crap that doesn't work for the past 10 years.

4. Ask your bank if they give medical loans. I know $2,000 sounds like a lot now, but actually it's not so bad. That's how much I took out for college and it was paid off (with interest) within a year of my graduation from college. Many medical loans are interest-free.

5. GET INSURANCE ANYWAY. Yeah they won't cover Accutane and that BLOWS, but you'll feel a lot worse if you get in a car accident or get seriously ill and aren't covered. I found Blue Shield to be pretty cheap when I was purchasing my own insurance, but that was 5 years ago. Do your research. Oh, and have your mom check into COBRAs for the meantime. If you qualify, it may cover the cost of your accutane treatment for a month or two before running out.

*hugs* This totally sucks. It sucks for your mom, too. Do something nice for her AND for you. :)

Let us know how this all turns out!

What exactly is COBRA?? That is smart thinking about the loan, I just hate the idea of this costing me so much when over the years I too have already spent SO much on acne and prescriptions and stuff that didn't work. The only thing that makes me feel even slightly better about this whole thing is when I tell myself "well, I'm paying for new skin" even that I still feel slightly bad about because it shouldn't be costing me near this much. I wanted to buy a new laptop and go shopping which I haven't done in forever and I'm already broke, so I'm digging into all my savings which will be totally gone in a matter of months now, but hey, my skin will be clear atleast, well, hopefully. :( Thanks though for all the advice. I'll deffinetely look into COBRA. I would get insurance regardless but I really can't afford it whatsoever right now. On the birthcontrol, I know this is rediculous but I'm only willing to take Yaz, does planned parenthood have that? I've had bad experiences w/ other BC. As far as the discounted derm goes, I believe 80$ is the discounted price although I'll have to look into that further. 2000$ isn't honestly THAT bad, it's just more so the upfront costs that make it difficult, having to part with so much of my money at one time. Also, it's aggravating because if I had insurance my accutane would cost 35$ at most, and my derm visits like 60$, and BC 15$, then free blood testing. Oh well though, I need to suck it up and get over it, money is replacable, and my skin, not to mention sanity and self-confidence, or lack there of are worth it. :) Thanks again though everyone. I hope we all have clear skin in our futures, regardless of price.

What exactly is COBRA?? That is smart thinking about the loan, I just hate the idea of this costing me so much when over the years I too have already spent SO much on acne and prescriptions and stuff that didn't work. The only thing that makes me feel even slightly better about this whole thing is when I tell myself "well, I'm paying for new skin" even that I still feel slightly bad about because it shouldn't be costing me near this much. I wanted to buy a new laptop and go shopping which I haven't done in forever and I'm already broke, so I'm digging into all my savings which will be totally gone in a matter of months now, but hey, my skin will be clear atleast, well, hopefully. :( Thanks though for all the advice. I'll deffinetely look into COBRA. I would get insurance regardless but I really can't afford it whatsoever right now. On the birthcontrol, I know this is rediculous but I'm only willing to take Yaz, does planned parenthood have that? I've had bad experiences w/ other BC. As far as the discounted derm goes, I believe 80$ is the discounted price although I'll have to look into that further. 2000$ isn't honestly THAT bad, it's just more so the upfront costs that make it difficult, having to part with so much of my money at one time. Also, it's aggravating because if I had insurance my accutane would cost 35$ at most, and my derm visits like 60$, and BC 15$, then free blood testing. Oh well though, I need to suck it up and get over it, money is replacable, and my skin, not to mention sanity and self-confidence, or lack there of are worth it. :) Thanks again though everyone. I hope we all have clear skin in our futures, regardless of price.

A COBRA is like interim health insurance. Examples of people who qualify are people who have recently graduated from school, or people who have just been laid off. It's considered temporary until that person gets another job that provides health insurance (usually a period of 6-8 weeks). It's either extremely cheap or free if you qualify.

I believe a friend or two has managed to get Yaz through Planned Parenthood, call 'em up and ask them for sure!

And it's cliche but it's true-- if you can't afford insurance, you can't afford NOT to have insurance. When I paid for my own it was $85 a month. Not to be a little gray raincloud, but you NEVER KNOW what is going to happen. At least check into that COBRA. :)

A COBRA is like interim health insurance. Examples of people who qualify are people who have recently graduated from school, or people who have just been laid off. It's considered temporary until that person gets another job that provides health insurance (usually a period of 6-8 weeks). It's either extremely cheap or free if you qualify.

Sorry Nikka i think you are confusing COBRA with Temporary Insurance

COBRA is for people who are laid off or fired from their job. If you mom had insurance though work by law they would have to offer it to her. Its extremely expensive because the person taking it is almost always going to end up paying the full premium amount.

Temporary insurance is a bit different you could have that for a set amount of days up to a few years but if you have a claim during that time they probably won't renew your plan.

There is also state coverage that you can get but it can be rather expensive and most of the time they won't cover pre-existing.

Sorry Nikka i think you are confusing COBRA with Temporary Insurance

COBRA is for people who are laid off or fired from their job. If you mom had insurance though work by law they would have to offer it to her. Its extremely expensive because the person taking it is almost always going to end up paying the full premium amount.

Temporary insurance is a bit different you could have that for a set amount of days up to a few years but if you have a claim during that time they probably won't renew your plan.

There is also state coverage that you can get but it can be rather expensive and most of the time they won't cover pre-existing.

Perhaps I am mixing them up. When I graduated from college I was no longer covered by my parents' insurance because I was no longer a student (the deal was you could be covered until you were 25 OR until you graduated from college). Anyway, I got a COBRA until I could get a job and afford to pay for my own insurance (the aforementioned Blue Shield).

Someone get a hold of President Obama on his Blackberry, tell him to get on this health insurance problem immediately...

I'm going to be taking accutane without insurance. I have a Carenow healthy savings card so i'll be going there to get my bloodwork and pregnancy tests done, i've bought my birth control online, and I found the cheapest prescription for 10 mg accutane at wal-mart for $120 a month. It's going to be hard, but this is my only choice.

Well just to let you all know how things went I ended up getting my script filled for 212.00$, I guess Target has a discount program if you ask about it, so although thats only a 14$ difference, I'm still satisfied. I live in FL so it turns out there is a state run program where you are gauranteed accepted and they dont check into your records or anything. Not only do they offer free blood testing at quest diagnostics, but also discount on Dr. visits that are in network and they also pay 50$ towards any Dr. appts!! They don't do much on the medication front but they do offer discounts for them which will help a little. It's 24$ a month which is amazing considering the cheapest place to get blood tests around here w/ out insurance is 25$, so it pays for itself there, and then the 50$ towards my Derm visit not to mention the discount, and perscription discounts. So, I'm feeling a little better, yes, my perscription is still expensive, but my Mother and I've agreed she'll pay for derm appts. and etc. and I pay perscriptions so while I'm still paying alot I feel a little better. Keep the faith everyone. Things work out.

Well just to let you all know how things went I ended up getting my script filled for 212.00$, I guess Target has a discount program if you ask about it, so although thats only a 14$ difference, I'm still satisfied. I live in FL so it turns out there is a state run program where you are gauranteed accepted and they dont check into your records or anything. Not only do they offer free blood testing at quest diagnostics, but also discount on Dr. visits that are in network and they also pay 50$ towards any Dr. appts!! They don't do much on the medication front but they do offer discounts for them which will help a little. It's 24$ a month which is amazing considering the cheapest place to get blood tests around here w/ out insurance is 25$, so it pays for itself there, and then the 50$ towards my Derm visit not to mention the discount, and perscription discounts. So, I'm feeling a little better, yes, my perscription is still expensive, but my Mother and I've agreed she'll pay for derm appts. and etc. and I pay perscriptions so while I'm still paying alot I feel a little better. Keep the faith everyone. Things work out.

Yay! I'm so happy for you! I hope you have amazing results on accutane. :)

Yay! I'm so happy for you! I hope you have amazing results on accutane. :)

I second that Yay for you I hope it works out

My Birth control is totally free thanks to plan parenthood. Ortho Tri-cyclen (name brand). No insurance really sucks, I'm glad its all working out for you. Good luck with your treatment.