Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hiades

Isotretinoin and vitamin A

Hi everybody!

I was prescribed with Isotretinoin (Neotrex) a couple of days ago. I've been strugling with acne since I was 15 and under several types of antybiotic treatments for over a year and my acne, even when is better now then when I started, hasn't stoped.

So my question is the next. I've heard that since Isotretinoin comes from vitamin A, Taking suplements or products that include vitamin A could increase the toxicity of the medication.

Is this true? because now you can see all sorts of products additioned with Vitamins and Minerals. You can see 'em advertised in Cereals, Yougurts, Beverages, etc...

My family is a fan of Tang's and Suko's wich are basically to make flavored watter, and I can see that they have low portions Vitamin A and B. So should I stop drinkin 'em and stop eating anything with Vitamin A on it. Or it would have to be in larger proportions in order to really cause problems in your organism?

Sorry for my english

And I'll be happy to hear your experiences and opinions

It is true that you should stay away from foods with high levels of Vitamin A, as your body will already be exposed to high levels as a result of the drug. The most important thing is that you avoid any multivitamins or supplements that contain Vitamin A, because those high doses would be the most harmful. With foods, you should also avoid ones that have high Vitamin A contents like carrots and such, but that doesn't mean that you have to avoid everything with Vitamin A in it, just things that have high concentrations of it.

Thank You very much, you saved my day :D

I found this on Wikipedia, regarding high Vitamin A sources (food) if it helps anyone:

Vitamin A is found naturally in many foods:

# liver (beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish) (6500 μg 722%)

# carrot (835 μg 93%)

# broccoli leaf (800 μg 89%)

# sweet potato (709 μg 79%)

# kale (681 μg 76%)

# butter (684 μg 76%)

# spinach (469 μg 52%)

# leafy vegetables

# pumpkin (369 μg 41%)

# collard greens (333 μg 37%)

# cantaloupe melon (169 μg 19%)

# egg (140 μg 16%)

# apricot (96 μg 11%)