Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cupcake_lacayo5204

Regarding dairy and acne

So everyone keeps saying about the hormones in milk can affect acne, I drink skim milk from publix that says no added growth hormones, it that still safe to drink or is organic even better or will it make a difference or do u have to cut all dairy out? I also eat yoplait fat free yogurt.

I drink milk every single day. It doesn't affect my skin. I don't understand why people avoid milk. It contains vitamins(A, D, E, K) and minerals(calcium, magnesium, phosphate). And like you, I also eat yoplait yogurt.

I don't think that switching to organic milk from conventional will have much bearing on your skin. Organic milk still has most of the constituents of conventional milk. It might be worth a try, though, and organic milk can be tastier anyway.

However, one study indicates that whole milk is less likely to aggravate acne than skim milk--something to think about, because you buy skim milk and fat-free yogurt.

I don't understand why people avoid milk.

I drink skim milk from publix that says no added growth hormones...I also eat yoplait fat free yogurt.

I suggest you start using only WHOLE milk products, and for more reasons than just the fact that low-fat and skim milk were shown to be more strongly associated with acne than full-fat milk. The butterfat in milk is probably important for our health for other reasons than just acne. It's the height of hubris for us to think that we can improve on Nature's basic "design" for milk by removing one of its most basic constituents! :wall:

I drink skim milk from publix that says no added growth hormones...I also eat yoplait fat free yogurt.

I suggest you start using only WHOLE milk products, and for more reasons than just the fact that low-fat and skim milk were shown to be more strongly associated with acne than full-fat milk. The butterfat in milk is probably important for our health for other reasons than just acne. It's the height of hubris for us to think that we can improve on Nature's basic "design" for milk by removing one of its most basic constituents! :wall:

Why is that, Bryan? I love milk and drink a lot of it, but we always buy skim or 2%. Does it have to do with calcium & vitamin D absorption?

Why is that, Bryan? I love milk and drink a lot of it, but we always buy skim or 2%. Does it have to do with calcium & vitamin D absorption?

Yes, that's probably at least one of the ways it helps. Butterfat apparently enhances the absorption of calcium, which is obviously important for a number of reasons. Considering that a certain specific carbohydrate in milk (lactose) is well-known to stimulate calcium absorption, is it any wonder that the fat in milk also performs a similar function? Ain't Nature grand? :)

In addition to that, I've previously posted a lengthy excerpt about a milk-feeding experiment with rats that was done a long time ago. The rats were reared exclusively on various milk diets of all kinds, like skim, low-fat, and whole. The rats on the low and no-fat versions developed atherosclerosis, whereas the rats on the whole-milk diets didn't. The inescapable conclusion to draw from all that is that the butterfat in milk somehow helps to protect against heart disease.

The following is an excerpt from an excellent book on nutrition, "Nutrition Against Disease":

Milkfat and processed milk

That cardiovascular lesions are not induced by the fat of whole milk, but may be caused by the lack of accompanying nutrients in processed milk products gains support from a number of controlled rat experiments. S. Dreizen and his coworkers (J. Nutr., 74:75, 1961) have shown that rats restricted to a diet of nonfat dry cow's milk induced atherosclerosis of the aorta and its major branches, together with a syndrome of accompanying afflictions in 50 percent of the animals.

Other investigators have demonstrated that rats reared on an exclusive whole milk diet supplemented with iron, iodine, manganese, and copper do not develop cardiovascular lesions (Kemmerer, A. R. et al. Am. J. Physiol., 102:319, 1932; McCay, C. M., et al. J. Gerontol., 7:61, 1952). This, incidentally, would be in agreement with those epidemiological studies of the African herdsmen tribes -- the Masai, Somalis, and Samburus -- who live almost exclusively on a milk-meat diet.

In one other experiment, Dreizen and his colleagues conducted a series of studies with ten groups of rats on different kinds of milk diets (J. Atheroscler. Res., 6:537, 1966). The results of these tests disclosed that rats reared on a diet of dry whole cow's milk (without supplements) developed overt atherosclerosis in 30 percent of the animals, while 40 percent succumbed to vascular lesions on a diet of nonfat dry milk. However, the investigators found that complete protection was afforded virtually all the animals against cardiovascular complications on diets of (1) reliquified whole milk; (2) dry whole milk supplemented with iron, copper, manganese, and iodine; (3) reliquified whole milk plus the trace elements; and (4) reliquified nonfat dry milk plus 3.6 percent sweet cream and the trace elements. These investigators assert that "a diet of nonfat dry milk, 3.5 percent butter, and the trace minerals gave almost complete protection, slight arteriosclerotic damage being found on histologic examination in only one of the thirty animals." They noted that neither the inception or prevention of atherosclerosis was related to cholesterol levels, nor, for that matter, to calcium or phosphorous levels.

These data suggest that adequate whole milk, including the butterfat, and essential trace minerals actually protect against cardiovascular damage. This, we have noted, concurs with other findings (Lowenstein, 1964; Mann, 1964; Shaper, Am. Heart J., 63:437, 1962) of the African tribes who live on a diet of raw whole cow's and goat's milk, a 60 to 65 percent butterfat diet, yet are virtually free of coronary heart disease. According to Dreizen and his colleagues, not only was the saturated butterfat of whole milk not to blame, but its inclusion in the diet was vital to the health of the cardiovascular system. It was the lack of adequate nutrients in a diet totally free of fat that caused medical atherosclerosis and renal damage. Butterfat, itself, appears to protect against atherosclerosis! More material on this subject will be presented later.

aha!

Very interesting study, Bryan. Thanks for posting that.

I do eat butter ..... and I love whole-milk yogurt, which I eat almost daily. So maybe that's sufficient butterfat in my diet?

Or do you think there needs to be a certain ratio of butterfat to milk consumed?

I tend to break out in larger forms of acne when i consume dairy. I switched to lactose free dairy which contains an enzyme lactase which turns the lactose into easy to digest galactose and glucose. The Glycemic index is still the same as regular milk and at the moment i consume in excess of a litre of dairy daily + my skin is completely clear. In America the dairy has the issue of excess hormones to take into consideration but give lactose free a try and see how you go. (I am not lactose intolerant btw, and allergy wise can handle alot of lactose without any issues to my health).

well i dont want to get fat from whole milk, and i find that if i have whole milk in my coffee vs. skim milk it gives me diahhrhea, well i dont if im one of the ppl whose acne could get worse from dairy but for those hwo have switched, between almond, rice, and soy milk which tastes best?

well i dont want to get fat from whole milk, and i find that if i have whole milk in my coffee vs. skim milk it gives me diahhrhea, well i dont if im one of the ppl whose acne could get worse from dairy but for those hwo have switched, between almond, rice, and soy milk which tastes best?

if you're concerned about your appearance then id stop drinking coffee aswell it'll make your breasts smaller.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/3242252/...ns-breasts.html

http://www.momlogic.com/2008/10/study_drin...fee_reduces.php

I'd literally die if I gave up milk. I drink 1 - 1.5 liters a day. It is an excellent source of protein, low-GI carbohydrates, and essential vitamins and minerals.

A pizza-face and a lean body is a better overall package than a pale toothpick, at least as far as I am concerned - lol.

Personally I like almond and rice milk the best. As rice milk is filled with sugars, I would go with almond.

A pizza-face and a lean body is a better overall package than a pale toothpick, at least as far as I am concerned - lol.

But it's not as though eliminating dairy will make you a toothpick. You can get whatever kind of body you want without using dairy products.

Personally I like almond and rice milk the best. As rice milk is filled with sugars, I would go with almond.

But it's not as though eliminating dairy will make you a toothpick. You can get whatever kind of body you want without using dairy products.

Yes you can, but that's 60 grams of protein/day. It is the equivalent of 2 tuna cans or 2 chicken breasts.

When it comes to protein, you don't want to rely solely on one type for your daily needs. Whey protein is absorbed more rapidly and is therefore more suitable for consumption right after or before workouts, while meat protein is absorbed slowly and is best consumed just before going to sleep.

Yes you can, but that's 60 grams of protein/day. It is the equivalent of 2 tuna cans or 2 chicken breasts.

You said you drink 1 - 1.5 liters a day of milk. That's roughly equivalent to 32 - 48 grams of protein, not 60.

When it comes to protein, you don't want to rely solely on one type for your daily needs. Whey protein is absorbed more rapidly and is therefore more suitable for consumption right after or before workouts, while meat protein is absorbed slowly and is best consumed just before going to sleep.

This isn't the place for a discussion about exercise nutrition, but honestly I think the stigma of fast- and slow-digesting protein is overblown. If you're looking to go professional in bodybuilding or another sport, maybe it would make a difference how fast your PWO protein digests. For the casual weightlifter looking to get stronger and ripped, it won't make a difference in the long run whether you have a whey shake or a steak after you workout.

well i dont want to get fat from whole milk...

You think you're going to get FAT from drinking a glass or two a day of whole milk, instead of these reduced-fat perversions of real milk? :)

It most likely won't make a difference to your acne, but it tastes a lot better, doesn't spoil as fast, and it's better for you, the cows and the planet. And it would be even better to limit your dairy consumption. Since organic is expensive, or I should say appropriately priced as opposed to milk from the tax-payer-dollar-subsidized-grain-fed cows, you are likely to consume less

You said you drink 1 - 1.5 liters a day of milk. That's roughly equivalent to 32 - 48 grams of protein, not 60.

This isn't the place for a discussion about exercise nutrition, but honestly I think the stigma of fast- and slow-digesting protein is overblown. If you're looking to go professional in bodybuilding or another sport, maybe it would make a difference how fast your PWO protein digests. For the casual weightlifter looking to get stronger and ripped, it won't make a difference in the long run whether you have a whey shake or a steak after you workout.

From my own experience, a protein shake after lifting definitely helps with recovery. And that's why so many weightlifters drink protein shakes after their workouts, besides the convenience issue of course.

So it's better to consume yogurt with whole milk? I eat organic yogurt with 1% milk, it's the only organic yogurt brand at my grocery store and the other option is non-fat. What yogurt brand is best? That's really the only dairy I consume, because of my antibiotic use.

Truthfully, I think it depends on what's causing your particular acne. Cow milk is not easily digested in the human body because it wasn't MADE for the human body. In some people, it can slow down the digestive process because the body has a difficult time breaking down the sugars. That's why dairy products, like cheese, have been known to cause constipation. When your digestive system is irregular, your body tends to reabsorb some of the waste instead of removing it which means your body is taking in either an excess of nutrients or products that shouldn't be absorbed at all. Your skin is just another way of trying to remove some of the toxins from waste. This also means that yes, some of the hormones may end up getting re-absorbed into your body when they shouldn't be, causing acne.

However, if you don't eat tons and tons of dairy, your digestive track is regular, and you see no problems when you DO have dairy, then it probably isn't what's causing your skin problems.

I do believe that the benefits of milk are widely exaggerated. You can get tons of calcium and vitamins from so many other sources aside from dairy, like veggies. I read somewhere that a stalk of broccoli has more calcium than one cup of milk. Vitamin D can be found in fatty fish, like salmon, tuna and more. You can eat vitamin A in things like eggs and again...fish. Of course, if you're allergic to eggs, it may cause more acne. You can find vitamin E in things like seeds, leafy greens (spinach, kale..etc) and whole grains.

Dairy simply is not meant for human bodies. Goat's milk might be a better choice if you're a dairy-holic. It's make-up more closely resembles that of human breast milk and is more easily digested.

But once again, if your body is okay with it, then at least go organic. Pasteurization is horrible and non-organic brands tend to do just that before it is put on the shelves.

Cow milk is not easily digested in the human body because it wasn't MADE for the human body.

Can you name ANY food (besides human breast milk) that was "made" for the human body?

Dairy simply is not meant for human bodies.

Don't you see what a silly and childish argument that is?? There isn't ANY food which is "meant for human bodies", other than human breast milk. Cow meat certainly isn't meant for human bodies, any more than cow milk; does that mean you never eat a steak? How about carrots? Is a carrot growing in the ground meant for human bodies? How about FISH EGGS, for god's sake? Since that's obviously not meant for human bodies, do you think nobody should ever eat caviar? :)

I could go on and on and on, listing every food that we humans ever consume, and NONE of them (other than human breast milk) is "meant for" human consumption. So your effort to attack the drinking of cow milk based on that one ridiculous philosophical argument is completely frivolous. Base your food choices on the principles of good nutrition, not philosophy.

54 grams for 6 glasses or 1.5 liters, assuming there is 9 grams of protein per 250ml. 6 more grams from yogurt and cheese. Along with meat and poultry, it helps me reach my target of 150-160 grams/day.

It just makes life a tad easier, you know. It also ensures that I'm getting enough calcium and vitamins A & D.