Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
need2Bacnefree

Who else is allergic to Benzoyl Peroxide and other treatments don't work either?

I've had acne since I was 13-14 yrs old (now 21). During the first year or so I used BP with no problem, then it stopped working. Not long after when I reapplied a few hours later I broke out with red patchy hives all over my face. It took over a month to figure it out, but it was in fact the BP. So obviously this rules out most acne topical treatments.

Antibiotics barely keep the acne at bay - the Differin sans the BP seems to be somewhat affective but no spectacular results. I have basically given up on these and refuse to fill my new perscription of solodyn (switching from dorxy).

I have been on Accutane twice already. Once when 17 then again when 18 turning 19. First time minor side affects, second time had emotional side affects. I will never go on it again.

So I am back at the derm and now he wants to put me on Spiro. Anyone luck with this? Does it come right back when you come off it?

I am currently going for microdermabrasians with peels. I have been recomended to use SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel, Phloretin CF, and PHYTO Corrective Gel. These do seem to help and the skin around my acne has never been healtier.

The Dermatologist wants me to go on BCP. But because of past history with a blod clot (now healed thank God and no worries), and migranes with aura my nerologist is dead set agaisnt it. Not to mention that both Ortho Lo and Yasmin are what brought out my acne again and gave me terrible mood swings.

So I am very limitted with my options. I do not like the idea of being on so many medications and the fact that if I stop it will come back again. I know its hormonal but I'm not sure how I should go about treating it. My family knows of a very good holistic center and I will be calling there within a day to see what can be done.

Until then, anyone have any similar stories or advice?

I have been on spiro for nearly a year. It took several months and an increased dose to clear me up, but I've been pretty much clear for the last four months or so. I'm not sure what would happen if I stopped taking it - I'm sure my acne would return because my hormones are only balanced when I'm taking it. After the first three weeks, though, I haven't had any side effects, so for me there is no reason to stop.

I have been on spiro for nearly a year. It took several months and an increased dose to clear me up, but I've been pretty much clear for the last four months or so. I'm not sure what would happen if I stopped taking it - I'm sure my acne would return because my hormones are only balanced when I'm taking it. After the first three weeks, though, I haven't had any side effects, so for me there is no reason to stop.

Thanks so much for your input. Going off and having the acne come back is what aI am worried about. If it's happened after two rounds of Accutane, I'm sure it would for Sprio.

The good thing about spiro is that you don't have to stop taking it after a certain length of time like with Accutane. You can pretty much take it forever unless you start having side effects.