Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cldfw73

What do I have?

Hello, some info about me

-male

no serious acne in the past, had some small acne in high school but never needed any treatment. Two days ago I could feel something next to my right eyebrow, painful then, painful now. I woke up today an put a warm cloth on it which someone opened it up, I then squeezed (I know that wasn't right after reading these forums) and a ton of puss (white stuff) and blood came out. I've never had anything like this before, should I head to the derm, I've started icing and taking in-inflammatories per the sticky on the top of the page.

Honeslty, I just want to know what I have

post-104633-1243966000_thumb.jpg

post-104633-1243966000_thumb.jpg

Owww, that pimple looks very painful! It looks like a cystic pimple to me. I totally recommend cortizone injections. Theyve always worked for me and the pimple is gone within 48 hours

It looks like a nodule. I would recommend you see a doctor or derm about this, particularly if you have health insurance. They can either give you a cortisone injection or drain it for you - that's not something you want to be messing around with in your bathroom, so please stop squeezing and see a professional ASAP. In the meantime, you can ice it and apply Neosporin.

I'll echo this. Definitely please stop squeezing it.

Thanks for the replies, yes I do have personal health insurance, not sure how much it will help.

Can anyone give me a ballpark cost (I live in the US) for a visit to the derm to treat something like this?

A regular general practice physician can provide a cortisone injection and even lance/drain the wound. Lancing is one of the first techniques all doctors learn, excision is another first technique they learn.

You might have to pay just the co-pay, and if there's an extra charge for a procedure, it might be an extra who knows what. It's really hard to say as all insurance differs so greatly. I've seen co-pays from $5-$50. And procedure charges from $5 - $100 but not that high for a simple injection.

Wynne, thank you again, ya'll have been very helpful.

A final question, if the nodule/cyst/pimple seems to be improving how bad an idea is waiting 1-2 more days before going? I work from home so the visual aspect of the pimple isn't a worry, am I risking some bigger danger? Do these things ever solve themselves or does pretty much every case wind up with a trip to the Doc.

Thanks again

They can definitely resolve on their own but usually that is a weeks, sometimes months process. If the lesion has ruptured underneath the skin, the infection spreads more readily. That happens more often when someone has squeezed a spot and caused the lesion to rupture underneath the skin. It's not the end of the world though, so don't beat yourself up! :)

Ice will help the pain, inflammation, redness and sometimes the size. If it's not significantly less in size and/or pain, I'd schedule a derm trip within a few days. Please see the last link in my signature for help with the lesion. It's not a cure but it can help it feel better and sometimes shrink in size.

I thought I would update, 2 days have passed and I've been icing a lot, taking my ibuprofen, and using a lot of neosporin w/ a bandaid. Does this look like decent progress from the first pic?post-104633-1244148396_thumb.jpg

the pain is completely gone (ty lord) which is nice

post-104633-1244148396_thumb.jpg

It is nice progress in just two days. I would consider making an appointment with a derm for either cortisone injection, lancing/draining, or both. If not tomorrow, then next week (unless it considerably shrinks by then).

Please don't squeeze it, it looks like you've been very careful with it. :)

I thought I would update, 2 days have passed and I've been icing a lot, taking my ibuprofen, and using a lot of neosporin w/ a bandaid. Does this look like decent progress from the first pic?post-104633-1244148396_thumb.jpg

do not worry about it, whomever said get a cortisone shot does not know what they are talking about. Like in this pic the nodule will eventually scab over and go down within a few days or weeks, it will be like you never had it just dont do anything drastic.

about 5 years ago i had one of those right on the side of my nose, not quite as big but almost. (the worse part was i got it right before our class trip to cedar point, talk about embarrassing) I squeezed the hell out of it and nothing ever came out. Made the lump bigger. Eventually it went away and didn't leave a scar so just don't mess with it anymore. It more than likely will not scar if you stop messing with it. To answer your question that is, or was, a nodule.

do not worry about it, whomever said get a cortisone shot does not know what they are talking about. Like in this pic the nodule will eventually scab over and go down within a few days or weeks, it will be like you never had it just dont do anything drastic.

Whoa...there is nothing wrong with either getting a cortisone injection, a lancing or an incision. The person who advised it , Wynne, is one of the most knowledgable laypersons about cystic acne on this board. Granted, injections can leave a dent OR NOT, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with seeking medical assistance, unless of course, you like having an infected pus filled lesion lingering around for weeks or even months.

Your advice is totally irresponsible.

Joe Zit

Whoa...there is nothing wrong with either getting a cortisone injection, a lancing or an incision. The person who advised it , Wynne, is one of the most knowledgable laypersons about cystic acne on this board. Granted, injections can leave a dent OR NOT, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with seeking medical assistance, unless of course, you like having an infected pus filled lesion lingering around for weeks or even months.

Your advice is totally irresponsible.

Joe Zit

FWIW - Wynne is a licensed professional, as are a number of us who are mods. For the record, I probably have 10 years of experience on her, but I would not hesitiate to defer to her with regard to this area/topic. She's *highly* skilled and damned near expert.

what do you think caused you to get that?

At first I thought it might have been my diet as I went from slightly balanced to a high fat/protein low-carb diet (something like the Anabolic diet) but looking here and other places it seems diet isn't a relevant factor, so that's nice as I'm enjoying the new foooood.

I'll be the first to admit my skin care isn't the best, although I shower daily I never wash my face before bed or when waking up or use any products because I haven't really needed them. I had some 7yr. old tube of benzo that turned into water somehow, found it yesterday, lol.

Here's a final pic, it's resolving itself nicely (I think)...yes that's me, I shaved just for you guys!

post-104633-1244336279_thumb.jpg

At first I thought it might have been my diet as I went from slightly balanced to a high fat/protein low-carb diet (something like the Anabolic diet) but looking here and other places it seems diet isn't a relevant factor, so that's nice as I'm enjoying the new foooood.

I'll be the first to admit my skin care isn't the best, although I shower daily I never wash my face before bed or when waking up or use any products because I haven't really needed them. I had some 7yr. old tube of benzo that turned into water somehow, found it yesterday, lol.

Here's a final pic, it's resolving itself nicely (I think)...yes that's me, I shaved just for you guys!

You look great, the bump like i said went down significantly! By the way i dont believe food or drinks have anything to do with acne, i think its a common myth in my opinion. but then again everyone is different... oh btw throw that benzo in the trashcan where it belongs, i swear BP does more harm then good.

keep doing what you're doing!

Throw out that expired tube. Sheeesh! :shock: It is looking better. If it not considerably resolved in a few more days, I'd recommend a derm visit. It's excellent the pain's gone! That is a great sign. :) The edema and erythema is also down; that's terrific, too. :D Keep up the icing to keep the redness and pain away, and keep it from swelling up again. Don't take ibuprofen for longer than the package directions say; it does have potentially bad side effects but short-term occasional use is generally perfectly safe.

If you feel like investing in one more pimple-care product that has OTHER usefulness besides, I'd suggest Polysporin. It is less likely to cause an allergy than Neosporin. Neosporin OINTMENT has a comedogenic ingredient; the CREAM does not. Polysporin has only the antibiotic and petroleum jelly so is not comedogenic. I use Polysporin for cuts, scratches, abrasions.

IF the lesion gets more red, swells more OR the pain returns, you should go to a derm/family practice physician. EXCELLENT work at not squeezing it anymore; that really has helped it improve.