Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
subie_21

Acne As A Humbling Experience?

Hey all! Now, I know that we've all had those days where our acne just seems that it's taking over our lives... Missed dates, appointments, and the like. And no matter how hard we try to get rid of it or make it look better, the thought of just knowing that it's there is enough to make one go crazy. Now, by no means am I trying to downplay the feelings of others because some people have more serious acne than others and therefore it may be harder to look on the brightside of things. However, atleast in my experience, when I've had the breakouts I find myself wondering what others think a lot more. I've never asked others what they think of my skin, and acne has definitely taken its toll on my social life at times. But, I've found myself thinking more about the small things in life or how that complete stranger says "hello" and how that actually has the power to change one's mood completely. Sometimes it takes something that we don't want to happen to make us realize some of the things that we took for granted before and maybe just wrote off. My main question is, has anyone else experienced some of these thoughts or felt that by having acne they looked at the world in a different way, atleast in the positive? :think:

I don't know about other people here, but I do know that acne has caused a lot of social anxiety for me. I wouldn't say that I was the "coolest" or most outgoing guy in the school before getting acne, but it definitely didn't help me out - at all. I still talk and laugh with the same crowd and I'm still a big dreamer.

Defeating acne wouldn't solve all of my problems; far from it. But it will certainly make me a happier person. It would give me more time to tackle my other problems, LOL.

Hey all! Now, I know that we've all had those days where our acne just seems that it's taking over our lives... Missed dates, appointments, and the like. And no matter how hard we try to get rid of it or make it look better, the thought of just knowing that it's there is enough to make one go crazy. Now, by no means am I trying to downplay the feelings of others because some people have more serious acne than others and therefore it may be harder to look on the brightside of things. However, atleast in my experience, when I've had the breakouts I find myself wondering what others think a lot more. I've never asked others what they think of my skin, and acne has definitely taken its toll on my social life at times. But, I've found myself thinking more about the small things in life or how that complete stranger says "hello" and how that actually has the power to change one's mood completely. Sometimes it takes something that we don't want to happen to make us realize some of the things that we took for granted before and maybe just wrote off. My main question is, has anyone else experienced some of these thoughts or felt that by having acne they looked at the world in a different way, atleast in the positive? :think:

Yes. I agree that sometimes a small thing like somebody saying hello can make such a difference. I think the small things count for a lot. I'm trying to get better at them.

i think acne has made me more aware of how i interact with people. i don't know if i interact with people in a more positive way because of it, though. i do try to make an extra effort to look people in the eyes because i used to get really self-conscious when i thought someone was studying my face.

& i think it can make you pay attention to smaller things, just like you said. one large effect that acne has had on me is that i don't have conversations about skin in real life unless advice is asked for or someone is venting.

That's how it works. You don't know what you have until it's gone. Saying hi can be a mood changer to someone who's having a bad day. Take a moment out of your time to make somebody feel better. Make a concerted effort to bring positivity to another life.

It's funny. We think acne is the worst condition to have, and automatically assume other people don't have any problems.

I get this. I try to tell myself this. That I am being humbled for something. That somehow in the future when my skin looks great (relatively speaking.... with scars its not likely to be perfect), I will always be grateful, never have an ego. All b/c of a practically 15 year battle with acne. So yes, I'm always nice to the chubbies, always helping the disabled person. Always polite to the outsider. So I will always be grateful that this battle is my biggest woe... (hey, it could be cancer). If I could stop worrying about this. If I could go on a trip without worrying about who is going to see me w/o makeup and not wonder why I'm in the bathroom washing my face for 20 min... it is very humbling. Or ask me what they should do for their skin ... (wtf, if I knew do you think I'd still have constant breakouts?). Or give me recommendations... hum, yeah, do you want to read my skincare bio (its really long and includes accutane).

But I'm feeling lousy today. But I'm 27, and just got into a fight with my b/f b/c he has all the answers and why don't I just get this taken care of? so I am humbled today.

However, atleast in my experience, when I've had the breakouts I find myself wondering what others think a lot more. I've never asked others what they think of my skin, and acne has definitely taken its toll on my social life at times.

If I have spots that just REFUSE to be properly covered by make-up, I usually bring it up with family or friends. With family it's usually a complaint, with friends it's usually turned into a story or a joke. It just makes me more comfortable. I also am really intense with eye contact, like I'm daring the person to look at my make-up mess, LOL. (Note - it's probably easy for me to do this because I technically don't have acne, just once-a-month break outs, so my confidence level is usually pretty normal.)