Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sanders1

Rubbing Alcohol- I know people say its bad, but I'm happy

Hi everyone,

I posted a longer version in the Aleve section as I had been experimenting with Aleve when I started this but I thought everyone should hear what I have to say. I started wiping my face with rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball about three times a day, everywhere (even where there was no acne), and after 6 weeks, I have gotten maybe two pimples. I felt some tiny places that seeemed like a pimple was going to form, but they went away really fast. At night I also use BP all over my face. I know people say rubbing alcohol is bad for your skin but my skin loves it right now and it's not dry and flakey because I use a good moisturizer. I'm going to use this stuff until it stops working! I haven't had clear skin since a few months after I went on Accutane when it slowly came back (but not nearly as bad). I also clean my make up tools before and after I use them with rubbing alcohol now to make sure there is no bacteria on them when I put them on my face and when I touch it to my makeup jars (as those can accumulate bacteria). I wish there was some sort of solution to put in foundation every once in awhile to kill bacteria. I feel like you could put a bit of rubbing alcohol in there and it would evaporate quickly but I haven't tried.

Anyways I will post in a little while to let everyone know if it's still working. I went through my first pms cycle without a breakout a few weeks ago- it was amazing! And rubbing alcohol is so cheap. I have prescription BP with an antibiotic in it (clindoxyl), but I have just been using store bought BP at night, which is waaaay cheaper and clearly the antibiotic wasn't doing wonders for my skin. I'm trying to look up online to see if bacteria can grow resistant to rubbing alcohol, but I don't think so.

Anyone else have success with rubbing alcohol? Any feedback, suggestions, etc. would be great! :)

I was thinking of something similar to this... and to help with dryness just use a moisturizer that agrees with your skin to keep it from being over dry.

I am glad its working for you :)

I do the same thing-- I absolutely love it. It is cheap and easy. I just carry the pre-moistened pads in my purse and use them whenever I feel greasy.

I was thinking of something similar to this... and to help with dryness just use a moisturizer that agrees with your skin to keep it from being over dry.

I am glad its working for you :)

Hey All -

I just wanted to update this on my personal experience (right now) with rubbing alcohol (70%). I have/had a cluster of cysts (yes - not pimples, CYSTS) on my left cheekbone for about 2 months now - I have been monitoring my skin for a year on my own acne log - and I started getting cysts (clustered) in just one area. The minute one would surface (meaning, I could feel the hard lump) - I'd get another. And another. I am now up to 8 cysts that I got in this little area. Not cool.

I tried everything. When I was getting the first couple of cysts - I was just using BP alone - still wasn't working - every other day - I was getting a new lump (talk about scarring). Then I tried adding AHA to help with the inflamation. I tried an antibiotic topical (like neosporin/bacitrycin) - for almost a week - had to stop - because I ended up getting - yet - another - even with the topical. NOTHING was working. I'd soak my cheekbone with warm water - it didn't help.

Now - here I am - 2 months and 8 cysts later - I am still using just BP - (the DKR) - and one night - I finally - finally - decided to start treating my cheekbone like the *wound* that it's become. I had just gotten 2 more cysts - I'd tried everything - and my husband was telling me that I might have to go into the dermatologist. I didn't want to. I hate them.

So - as a last resort - treating my cheekbone as a wound - I took out some rubbing alcohol - and started soaking *just my cheekbone area* with a tissue and some alcohol on it. I'd soak the area twice a day (or have been) - and HOLY COW. FINALLY.

I have finally - finally - went a couple of days - without getting another cyst. For the past 2 months - this is a first. Why?

Let me just say - I would *not* recommend taking rubbing alcohol and using it as a toner/astringent for your face. I think that is what a lot of the replies are referring to above - I think that would not be a smart move. That would definitely strip your skin.

However - using rubbing alcohol (mine was a last resort) as a DRYING AGENT - to KILL bacteria (which is what p. acnes is, right?) was EXACTLY what this area on my face needed.

I had a clustered area of cysts that would keep re-infecting itself (the liquidy, pus filled - weepy kind) that could NOT dry out enough to stop it from spreading. BP alone - was not enough of a drying agent. Rubbing alcohol was BRILLIANT. I am still doing a alcohol soak on the area 2 times a day - until everything is gone - but this has worked wonders for my face (just that area.)

The rubbing alcohol immediately killed the bacteria (or disinfects the area) to help keep it from spreading - and so does the drying effects of it - it allowed the area to scab up - to help prevent the area from spreading. This is what BP usually does for my small pimples and works great (which I am still using BP too) but for a really really bad infected cystic area - rubbing alcohol was the only thing left - and worked.

I wanted to share my story - but like I said - I wouldn't recommend applying rubbing alcohol all over your face - like a toner - that would eat your face up. But for a really infected/resistant area that keeps re-infecting itself and that BP alone just cannot dry it out - rubbing alcohol worked for me.

I use it after I cleanse my face with DK cleanser - I just gently soak the cheekbone area for about 5 minutes - and then I let it dry (don't wash it off) so the alcohol can really dry it out - and then after it dries - I apply bp to my whole face (and the area.) It's done wonders (finally - after 2 months) for a hard to heal spot!!!