Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ghulam

psychological effects of acne scars

I am trying to get rid of my acne scars, and i'm confident that they wil fade by treatment and given some time.

But I am feeling depressed about them, especially in combination with other personal problems.

My question is, is depression an normal consiquence of scars or is it something that is personal.

And are there other people who have had depression because of acne scars and did you seek counsel / medication for this?

Hey

It's normal to feel depressed about your scarring. Just like me i went to see a dr and was given anti- depressant. I took for about 3 months and in fact the medications just make me feel drowsy and tired so that i have no energy to even bother about my scarring.

Now i have stopped but i am still depressed but i am definitely feeling better compared to months ago. At the end of the day, it's still down to your own thoughts. How u tell yourself mentally is very important. I was hit really badly when i started the medications. I don't dare to even leave my house for weeks and I am scared to meet people.

But now I tell myself that I will not care too much about people's criticism. It is not that i am ignorant but the more u dwell on it, you will never be able to get out of it. Yea, i agree it's never easy. There are still times when i get really upset upon hearing those comments. I have gradually learnt to accept it.

There was once when i visited the hospital and i saw a very young boy suffered very bad burns on his whole face. He was screaming away when the nurses are trying to change his dressing. Imagine what the boy has to undergo in future. I am not trying to mock at him or what so ever. Maybe when we think that we are very unfortunate, there is bound to be someone who is more unfortunate than you.

At least that's how i try to console myself. You can say that i am deceiving myself, yea maybe!

But i am still trying hard, really hard. I wish u all the best.

Regards

Thanks, I somethimes have the feeling I am the only one who is bothered about scars.

I know there are far worst things that can happen to a person, and I try to be gratfull for all the things i've got going for me.

But people around me act like it isn't A big deal, or schouldn't be a big deal.

I don't know if this is because of lake of empathy or just because they are seeing things from a more objectif point of view, maybe both.

It would be nice to get a little understanding from people so that i can start to cope with it, instead of feeling like a victim in search of recontition.

I'am now on anti-depressant sinds four months, and I am glad to hear that it's normal to feel a little depressed about the scars at first, at least I know that I am not crazy.

I hope the depression wil go away, maybe it's a sign that I have to change the way I feel about things.

Anyway, best of luck to all people, i'll try to combine anti-depressant in combination with scar treatment in August and hope for the best.

Honestly, I wouldn't consider it 'normal' to be depressed. Is it a common occurence, probably. However, just because it may be common, does not make it an acceptable way of being. I understand that self-perception is hard to change, and I don't know of your personal problems, but there are ways to lift yourself out of this hole.

If you can't do it yourself (and I believe that everyone can take a few baby steps, even if they need help the rest of the way), then maybe consider talking to a close friend or even a therapist. There is no shame in reaching out for help. You'll be suprised at the people who will help carry you. =)