Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Title pretty much says it.

Just the other day a dear friend of my parents gave me some acne products from the "melaleuca" company, all of them contain salicylic acid. I went ahead and decided to give the regimen a go and the first thing I noticed is that unlike everything else, this actually feels good, which is generally a bad sign because it makes me think it's not very effective.

I used to have severe acne and now I'd say I have moderate acne (although its really in the eye of the beholder). I'm not trying to remove every zit, red mark, spot, and peck of dirt on my face. I'm just looking for an over-the-counter medicine that will improve my face a 'reasonable' amount. I've already done enough Accutane and I'm not going back to it anytime soon.

What are your experiences with products that contain salicylic acid?

P.S: If all you have is one microscopic zit on your face and this did the job please refrain from posting "omg! I had a horrible acne condition and this did the job!!!eleventyone". While I'm happy for you, I want to know if this product helps at all for people who get zits that are inches wide.

Cheers

P.S 2: I have checked out the over-the-counter medications forum and read about what SA does and how it compares to BC etc, but I'm looking for some actual 'testimonies' . Thanks :).

I think salicylic acid is great :) I had mild acne for about a year and I used a face scrub w/

salicylic acid and it got rid of everything!

but, there's a lot of products out there that have SA that suck (neutrogena oil free acne wash)

so, be careful..

I hate salicylic acid! it's not for everyone. I bought neturgena body scrub w/ salicylic acid and it made my back acne worse!!I was so heart broken.............. :hand::naughty::cry:

I love salicylic acid. On it's own, it mainly helped with blackheads and brought down some of the inflammation on cysts and pustules. I don't think it'll do much more than that for moderate-to-severe acne. However, I combine it with Tazorac with beautiful results.

Salicylic acid is excellent for exfoliating the pores and loosening up comedones. But it only works if it is at a low pH (around 2 is ideal, I think .... but I'd have to look it up), and in a non-irritating formulation.

Also, it needs to stay on your skin for at least 30 minutes so that it will absorb and exfoliate properly.

SA is basically useless in cleansers. It does not stay on the skin long enough, and is not at a proper pH for exfoliation. The only benefit is that it may lower the overall product pH to an acceptable range (5.5 - 6.5). However, I would avoid Neutrogena SA washes/scrubs like the plague; they are horribly drying and bad for the skin.

Paula's Choice makes superbly formulated SA products (1% and 2% BHAs). 2% is good for most people. If you have tough skin and deep blackheads and need a stronger formulation, Diana Yvonne makes an excellent 5% product.

Salicylic acid peels are also supposed to be quite effective against acne, but that's not something I've ever tried personally.