Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cupcake_lacayo5204

Has anyone experienced olive oil making skin red ?

I have been using olive oil as a moisturizer and makeup remover consistently for the past couple of months but whenever I put it on, my skin looks red especiallya round my blemishes, shoukd I switch to a lighter oil in the summer months such as grapeseed?

It could just be that the oil is making the layers of dead skin at the surface of your skin a bit more transparent, so the marks look brighter, even though they're really not. Kind of like when you spill water on a red shirt, and the wet spot looks darker than the rest of the shirt, even though it hasn't actually changed in color.

If you're not experiencing any problems with olive oil, I wouldn't bother with changing things up--your skin may react differently to different kinds of oils. Perhaps you could just use a light moisturizer during the day, and only use the olive oil at night?

Possibly, but first you need to be careful of the type of olive oil you're using. Make sure its good quality, cold pressed and not chemically processed. Remember olive oil can be strong smelling and can become rancid in direct sun. You really need to make sure you're using the right sort of oil. I think you need to be careful 'changing oils' though.

Hope this helps.

Susie

Also, I recommend using extra virgin olive oil, not regular olive oil.

From Wiki:

• Extra-virgin olive oil comes from virgin oil production only, contains no more than 0.8% acidity, and is judged to have a superior taste.
  • Virgin olive oil comes from virgin oil production only, has an acidity less than 2%, and is judged to have a good taste.
  • Pure olive oil. Oils labeled as Pure olive oil or Olive oil are usually a blend of refined and virgin production oil.
  • Olive oil is a blend of virgin and refined production oil, of no more than 1.5% acidity. It commonly lacks a strong flavor.