Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blueeyednycgal

~ My Accutane Journey ~

**Updated log as of 9/2010. Hi everyone, I am back on accutane. Did it once, had great results which you will read in the first few pages here, then a year later the oil came back slowly. Started to get some pimples again, can't stand it. now that ive had perfect/clear skin i dont want that life again...so i asked my derm to put me back on. . . on a low dose "maintenance" regiment and well page 7 and on is my second round of accutane, enjoy!! :wub:

:D Hello everyone, I hope you will enjoy taking this journey with me as I begin what I hope to be the final chapter in my battle with skin issues for the rest of my life. I decided to finally sign up here after coming as an observer many times. I would come onto this site to read other people's logs, to get some reviews and noticed how supportive everyone here was. Let's face it (no pun intended) we've all been through the heartbreak of acne and bad skin together. We all have dealt with the ups and downs and what it has done to our self esteem. So I decided that I wanted to join today, the same day I filled out my first prescription for Accutane/Claravis.

I am 28 years old and have dealt with fickle acne issues my whole young adult-adult life.Since about 14, through high school, through college and now - I was on everything from Retin A, to Differin, to Clendamycin, to tricycline to doxycycline to duac to topicals, to antibiotics, everything. still the best I could do was to "maintain" but never CURE!

My acne is very mild now but can be explosive due to hormones around "that time", most people would think I was being crazy for taking it bc i dont look like i have bad skin; if you saw photos of me you would probably say "why is she doing accutane?" but I know myself this isnt how life should be. Time to take charge!

So I hope to check in and tell you all how its going :) xo

Things I want to accomplish on Accutane/Claravis:

- Reduce oil in tzone, no longer have to blot every hour

- No more black heads or whiteheads

- No more explosive breakouts around my period

- Be able to wear minimal/no make up during the day

- Feel more confident

- No more scaring from acne break outs

- Smaller pores

- Better overall tone to my skin

- Happiness :)

Edited by blueeyednycgal

Good luck -- I understand your feelings 100%! My acne is similar to yours in that I would go through periods where I'd be acne-free and other periods where the breakouts were bad and I had to turn into a hermit and isolate myself socially. Also, I am 33 and the breakouts only started really getting bad around age 31. So I am glad that you are finally starting on Accutane. I wish I had started earlier too.

Currently, I am on Day 60 at 40mg/day but today I am being upped to 80mg/day for the next 3 months. I had 13 new eruptions (ranging from tiny to big) during the first month and then 6 the second month. So far, I find the side effects to be rather manageable. I have:

chapped lips (which can be controlled with lip balm)

cracking sides of lips (controlled by Eucerin)

dry skin (mostly around by lips, nose and eye brows and controlled by moisturizer twice a day)

dry skin (on hands and arms, starting week 2 -- lotion takes care of it quickly)

flushed, red face (started around week 2 and then got better around week 4)

bloody nose (twice, not too bad)

blurry vision, red stinging eyes (not too bad, only happens infrequently)

stiff back (I notice it when I get up after sitting down -- but since I've been playing a lot of sports recently, if this is it for physical maladies, I'll take it)

Honestly, the most frustrating aspect is the red, flushed face but hopefully, it should subside after awhile -- just try not to be in the sun too long.

Good luck!

Good luck -- I understand your feelings 100%! My acne is similar to yours in that I would go through periods where I'd be acne-free and other periods where the breakouts were bad and I had to turn into a hermit and isolate myself socially. Also, I am 33 and the breakouts only started really getting bad around age 31. So I am glad that you are finally starting on Accutane. I wish I had started earlier too.

Currently, I am on Day 60 at 40mg/day but today I am being upped to 80mg/day for the next 3 months. I had 13 new eruptions (ranging from tiny to big) during the first month and then 6 the second month. So far, I find the side effects to be rather manageable. I have:

chapped lips (which can be controlled with lip balm)

cracking sides of lips (controlled by Eucerin)

dry skin (mostly around by lips, nose and eye brows and controlled by moisturizer twice a day)

dry skin (on hands and arms, starting week 2 -- lotion takes care of it quickly)

flushed, red face (started around week 2 and then got better around week 4)

bloody nose (twice, not too bad)

blurry vision, red stinging eyes (not too bad, only happens infrequently)

stiff back (I notice it when I get up after sitting down -- but since I've been playing a lot of sports recently, if this is it for physical maladies, I'll take it)

Honestly, the most frustrating aspect is the red, flushed face but hopefully, it should subside after awhile -- just try not to be in the sun too long.

Good luck!

Thank you for posting. Just like you I thought with age it would just go away. That the hormones would get themselves in order, but alas was not the case. I was told I'd be on it for five months, that seems like such a long time not to have a cocktail lol, but I'm very excited to just wake up and not have to worry about make up, or covering up a really bad pimple. Or wearing my hair a certain way to hide a break out. I am on 40mg once a day. I will make sure to update this alot, and I appreciate your info on your side effects, at least you didnt scare the crap out of me like I read on SOO many blogs. eeek!! I'm excited :)

DAY 1

So today will conclude my first day. I must admit it is a bit weird to not do my entire nightly regiment that I am so used to. Up until today I was taking oral antibiotics; doxicycline washing with Rosula and applying differin at night before bed. Tonight I just used a witch hazel towellette to tone and remove oil and applied some purpose redness reducing oil free moisturizer. Even though it's only my first day and Im not dry or anything yet I figure its smart to start early. Already applying chapstick too just in case lol. The reviews of cracking lips are scaring me a bit so i want to try to keep myself moisturized as much as possible. No nausia or any change in me. Will report back in a few days :)

Day 2

Nothing really to report here. Went and bought some aquaphor and carmex for lips. The carmex smells kinda mediciney but keeps my lips moisturized. I have not noticed a change in dryness in my lips yet, as I said before my lips typically are dry so this is not a change that I can't deal with, unless it gets very bad. Been uping my intake of water which is also good for your skin anyhow and with keeping you full all day. Stopped taking my typical multi vitamin supplement since it does contain vitamin A, something I was told I could not continue taking while on accutane. So today I ordered a BtoZinc vitamin that gives me all the things i need MINUS the A. I also took one vitamin E capsule as well as I hear that will help with keeping me from getting very dry.

No break outs yet. Will report back soon.

Day 3

Nothing really to report here either. Been taking my 40mg pill with oatmeal in the mid morning hour and drinking tons of water throughout the day. No dryness, no chapped lips crazziness, no side effects or break outs. skin is still pretty oily in the tzone. waiting to see what happens in the first two weeks i suppose.

Day 4

No change yet. No side effects or any break outs. Skin is still oily like usually but a bit less when i wake up in the morning. Still using witch hazel cloth to wash face and night and a bit on a cotton pad in the AM when i get up before work. Using redness reducing Purpose moisturizer before a little bit of bare minerals make up which i use daily anyhow. Felt a small bump coming on but it never came to a head. put a bit of differin on it overnight and its already going down. not noticable though. SO far so good!! no complaints :clap:

Day 5

I have been battling a cough and sore throat all week though I do not believe it is a result of my new medication. It has been rainy and crappy weather in nyc this week so it's probably also that that is making me feel bad too. Anyhow, nothing still to report other than drinking lots of water more than usual, no chapped lips, no drying. hair seems to be a little less oily near my face which is great. my skin seems to slowly be getting less oily which is wonderful. less blotting throughout the day. been applying some aqauphor at night around my nose bc that seems to just be dry from blowing it alot (bc im a bit sick) but otherwise so far smooth sailing. No break outs and pores seem to be slightly getting smaller in size :)

Day 7

Well I am done with my first week. 19 more to go, lol. Seems like a hella long time to be taking medication, not having a drink with friends, etc but I guess in 5 months time I will think "thank god that is over with and thank god I am done". I am hoping that at the end of this medication it works, it lasts and I never have to worry again. Anyhow, still battling a cold. Congestions, running and stuffy nose, sore throat and cough. Is it related? who knows. I started taking my btozinc vitamins yesterday when they came in the mail. Layed out in the sun today and did not burn, but Im part italian and we rarely do anyhow ;) So far no real dryness, no chapped lips really. Still very oily in the tzone areas. So far, so good though. No new break outs, just one or two small pimples that are barely visible but have come and gone fast. One i just put a dab of differin on and it was almost gone next day :) lets hope that continues!

i just took my first pill today so you're about a week ahead of me ? :D

i have mild acne too and feel exactly the same way. sometimes my skin looks okay especially with makeup on but sometimes it could be bad. although its mild acne but still feel really bad about it and avoid to go out with friends. Before I have acne I used to go out with my friends like every single day but then now I rather stay home.

hope both of us will clear up real soon && best of luck to you :-*

Hi there! I'm going to follow your log since you're only 2 weeks ahead of me. And I'm Italian too, and I model. Ha. Good luck, I'm glad to hear you're having a good experience so far!

i just took my first pill today so you're about a week ahead of me ? :D

i have mild acne too and feel exactly the same way. sometimes my skin looks okay especially with makeup on but sometimes it could be bad. although its mild acne but still feel really bad about it and avoid to go out with friends. Before I have acne I used to go out with my friends like every single day but then now I rather stay home.

hope both of us will clear up real soon && best of luck to you :-*

Thank you for reading and following along. It seems you are exactly one week behind, to the day. Congratulations for also taking this journey!! I know how you feel about the going out with friends more when your skin feels "normal" and less when you have the dreaded break outs. I've been there and am there! At least now we are on our way!!! good luck xo

Hi there! I'm going to follow your log since you're only 2 weeks ahead of me. And I'm Italian too, and I model. Ha. Good luck, I'm glad to hear you're having a good experience so far!

Yay thanks for following! And its cool you also did modeling so you can relate to that as well! I dont even have to explain the many times I felt so embaressed about being in a make up artist chair thinking "god i bet she is looking at my skin thinking, thanks for making my job harder" or thinking I hope they can just take those out in photoshop hahah! Good luck!!!!

Starting week 2

This week should be especially telling on how the next five months should go. This week I will be on my last few inactive pills of my birth control which means the "friend" will be coming soon. Ladies, Im sure you all dread this time as much as me. It will be helpful to see how things go over that time period. I get especially weak and lethargic typically and the week after is usually a big break out time for me so hopefully things go smoothly. Today I noticed my lips feeling a bit dry; applied the carmex but it felt more tacky than usual, not so much smooth. I put the aquaphor on at night which felt much better. I think I may just need to use more of a gel/liquid type chapstick instead of the stick; no big deal there. My eyes feel a little bit dry too, I wear contact for vision so I made sure to just buy some visin drops for contact relief to keep them well hydrated. If they get to be a bit too dry that i feel they may just pop out my eyeball i will switch to my glasses for a few days, which is a good thing considering my eyes need a rest anyhow. Drinking lots of water, trying to avoid salty foods as well (as they retain water and make me feel bloated during this time of month anyhow) and keeping my body moisturized after a shower with some body lotion. No real dryness on my face which is good. Im glad i went on my pills during the summer months as I tend to deal with dry skin MORE in the winter anyhow! The progress continues; no new break outs, no visible bumps right now. Things seem calm....hopefully not the calm before the storm though, lol. :shifty:

Wanted to share this with everyone:

Your Dimension Of Greatness

No one can know the potential,

Of a life that is committed to win;

With courage - the challenge it faces,

To achieve great success in the end!

So, explore the Dimension of Greatness,

And believe that the world CAN be won;

By a mind that is fully committed,

KNOWING the task can be done!

Your world has no place for the skeptic,

No room for the DOUBTER to stand;

To weaken your firm resolution

That you CAN EXCEL in this land!

We must have VISION TO SEE our potential,

And FAITH TO BELIEVE that we can;

Then COURAGE TO ACT with conviction,

To become what GOD MEANT us to be!

So, possess the strength and the courage,

To conquer WHATEVER you choose;

It's the person WHO NEVER GETS STARTED,

That is destined FOREVER to lose!

~ Author Unknown ~

Starting Week 3

Tomorrow I am going to be on week 3. This past week was not that bad, though the chapped lips started to set in. Ive been using a bunch of different lip balms, not really a fan of the stick carmex at all cause it felt like paste and not smooth or moisturizing. The aquaphor though I do recommend for at night or in the privacy of your home, otherwise it looks just way to greasy for day time. I bought a differnt product by Carmex though, its called "Moisture Plus" and its a long thin silver tube like a lipstick shape and its clear in color. It goes on SUPER smooth and feels great, I recommend that for the ladies!! I swear by it!

Ive gotten a few pimples but honestly I cant complain about that bc if i wasnt on accutane id have gotten them anyhow, since my period is coming and i expect them this week but they have come and gone so fast its not bad at all. and a little coverup has made them look invisible. I have felt one or two pimples from under my skin but as soon as i do i have dabbed a little differin on them overnight and they never come up and they dont hurt anymore. Honestly, Im impressed alot so far!! the side effect have not come at all as far as very dry skin, the chapped lips is not hurting or bothersome and not bad at all either. ive had WORSE chapped lips in the winter in nyc here and this is not even close.

So for anyone who is afraid of the first 2-3 weeks i must say for me at least its been completely smooth! The only part that has been a bit difficult for me is trying to explain to friends and coworkers why i cant have a drink. I dont want to tell everyone "yeah im on accutane" bc i find it to be a personal thing, so when i decline to have a drink everyone is like "what do u mean you dont want one?" so I say "well im on medication so i cant" and its either "well you can have one at least" or "what are you on?" which is annoying. i never realized til i couldnt have a social cocktail how much people harp on you if you decline one??? weird i know but i guess i have to get used to that or just say i just dont want one and order a water lol

Day 21

Ready to keep it moving. The dry chapped lips have set it definetly. have to reapply moisturizer alot. lips feel raw and dry. chin is getting dry as well. so have to add alto of moisturizer overnight. forehead is a bit itchy. othewrise skin seems clear, pores getting smaller. less oil and looking so much better!!

Its been three weeks, things are going GREAT!

I cant tell you what a difference i see already in my skin! the oil is almost gone. my make up looks amazing now that its not falling off my face. Its such a great feeling that i dont have to run to the bathroom while im out to go and blot my face. Even taking fun pics with my friends i can SEE the difference already.

The chapped lips are tolerable adn come and go. one day really bad the next day im completely fine! no new pimples yet! so weird, nothing at all!!

have to go to dr. tomorrow for my blood test and then meeting with him next week to go over my frist month and see what next dose will be! :dance:

I cant tell you what a difference i see already in my skin! the oil is almost gone. my make up looks amazing now that its not falling off my face. Its such a great feeling that i dont have to run to the bathroom while im out to go and blot my face. Even taking fun pics with my friends i can SEE the difference already.

I am starting accutane today, and you have no idea how happy it made me to read this!

I can't wait to be where you are... I definitely can relate to the whole 'planning my life around breakouts' scenario and the constant makeup applications. They both suck. Yay for medication working how it should! (:

I am starting accutane today, and you have no idea how happy it made me to read this!

I can't wait to be where you are... I definitely can relate to the whole 'planning my life around breakouts' scenario and the constant makeup applications. They both suck. Yay for medication working how it should! (:

Trust me, I hear ya girl! I hated doing such a stellar job at my make up to cover up everythign to LOOK like i had nice skin that im so happy to be on my way to not having to fake it anymore. Not having to use blotting papes every few minutes is a blessing! Good luck, i am sure you will love ur results too :)

Day 23

Went to the dr. today to get my monthly blood work. The nurse said my veins were weak and she couldnt draw enough blood which resulted in FOUR attempts and now im already bruising. Two shots in the one arm, one in the other and then one on the top of my hand. GRRRR. Go to visit my derm next week to sit down and go over my first month on the medication, see what he thinks...so far honestly im so impressed, but im nervous...nervous that its goign to get worse soon?

Does everyone get an initial break out? Should I be expected one to come soon? HELP :)

Hi! I've been reading your log since we started around the same time and are on the older (wiser?) side of the age spectrum. I thought I'd drop in since we're both doing well on the stuff, too!

I did have an IB, but it cleared itself up fairly quickly. I've gotten a bunch of little bumps. It doesn't bother me much, though, because it just tells me that the medication is working. I went to my one month check-up yesterday and they increased my dose (from 40mg/day to 60mg/day), so I have my fingers crossed that it just gets better rather than sending me into a new dose breakout.

I went out in tinted moisturizer and concealer yesterday instead of painstakingly applied layers of foundation, and I'll be doing the same today! Ever better, I haven't shampooed in over a week.

I hope your appointment next week goes well, and that your veins behave better for your next stick!

Hi! I've been reading your log since we started around the same time and are on the older (wiser?) side of the age spectrum. I thought I'd drop in since we're both doing well on the stuff, too!

I did have an IB, but it cleared itself up fairly quickly. I've gotten a bunch of little bumps. It doesn't bother me much, though, because it just tells me that the medication is working. I went to my one month check-up yesterday and they increased my dose (from 40mg/day to 60mg/day), so I have my fingers crossed that it just gets better rather than sending me into a new dose breakout.

I went out in tinted moisturizer and concealer yesterday instead of painstakingly applied layers of foundation, and I'll be doing the same today! Ever better, I haven't shampooed in over a week.

I hope your appointment next week goes well, and that your veins behave better for your next stick!

Its nice to know we have more in common than just our start date and i am glad to here that even if you had a few bumps show up that they came and went quickly! Did you have mild acne when you started? Good luck! I have to check your log!!

First Month DONE!

So it's been one full month on my Claravis 40mg. I go tomorrow to meet with my derm to go over the next month and my response to date. The last few days have been fine, only 1 or 2 bumps have shown up and gone very quickly. My pores seem to be a bit clogged but i assume this is because all the oil is slowly going away. I was able to go to the beach on Sunday and not burn at all. Kept on an spf 70 though.

My nose is peeling pretty bad, not from the sun but from being dry. ive peeled it away slowly but not where it would cause any damage. my chin is also very dry and starting to get a bit scaley (SP?) and cracked. Ive tried to get rid of the flaking and adding strong moisturizer overnight to combat this. My lips have days of really bad chapping/peeling and then other days are fine. Drinking lots of water which is helping and also great for your figure lol! I had one bad day of neck pain, however i may have slept wrong. Otherwise thats it

So overall month one:

- no bad breakouts

- a few bumps but come and go in 1-2 days

- dry nose/peeling

- dry lips, chapped

- dry eyes, wearing contacts can get irritating

- dry chin area

- oil is slowly going away

- tzone is visibly less greasy

- hair is less greasy, dont have to wash everyday

- did not burn in the sun, not sensitive

- no nausia from the pill

:clap:

Hey! Sorry I haven't checked in with you, but I am so glad that everything is going so smoothly! That's awesome. Hopefully your second month will be just as great :)

Hey! Sorry I haven't checked in with you, but I am so glad that everything is going so smoothly! That's awesome. Hopefully your second month will be just as great :)

Thank you! I will have to check your log, hope you are doing well!!!

Went to derm today and he said I'm looking great. He swears by accutane and said its doing wonders are making my pores smaller, reducing my oil and no new break outs. Because of my weight/size i am staying on 40mg. Looking good, so happy!! :cool:

It's great you can stay on that dosage! I've lost 3 pounds since I started, but I still have quite a few more to reach my acting goal weight. I'll take the clear skin first, though!

It's great you can stay on that dosage! I've lost 3 pounds since I started, but I still have quite a few more to reach my acting goal weight. I'll take the clear skin first, though!

Yes well for my size he said he prob will not increase past 40mg.

I started my prescription at almost 110 and now am at 105 so ive lost a few pounsd but i attribute that mostly to work stress and drinking TONS of water.

How are you feeling?

6 Weeks In...

So it's now one month and one week down. I enjoyed my 4th of july weekend by my pool and at the beach one day. I didnt need to avoid the sun, I tanned and didnt burn so I am happy. I used spf 70 though on my face and shoulders just in case. My chin was flaking a bit and so was my nose (before the beach not bc of it) and I made sure to just slop on my aquaphor overnight and in two days its all gone. No more scaley peeling skin. I had to avoid peeling it off bc i knew it would probably scar or leave a pinkish mark.

The side of my lip cracked and it hurt for two days. Was hard to open my mouth, but put some neosporin in the corner over night and now its fine. Heeling time while on accutane has been amazing. Everything clears up/heels in less than two days, amazing!!!

So my update is:

- Lips still chapped, dont think thats going away

- Thirst is increase, drinking so much water and dont even realize it

- Eyes are not as dry anymore, combat with visine for contacts

- Did not sunburn

- Nose and chin were peeling but fine now

- Stopped using any type of face wash or toner, no need anymore. Just rinsing with water, adding moisturzer

- NO NEW PIMPLES :)

- Loving accutane, really!!!