Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whitewhisper

The ONLY thing that has worked for me

Hi Everyone,

I want to share my experience. I have had terrible acne for over five years, and like most people, I have tried everything. Pro-activ, Acnexus, no make-up, no dairy, herbal supplements, and birth control pills. The birth control pills were the only thing that ever seemed to help, but I have been unwilling to stay on them, because I don't believe that they are healthy.

About five weeks ago I started a low glycemic load diet. Basically, no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, cereal, or baked goods. I had been curious about this diet for some time, because I am naturally drawn to foods with a high-glycemic load. I never went a day without bread, cereal, or some sweet baked good, and it was very difficult for me to imagine not eating those things. I think that on some level, I knew that they were a problem for me. So I decided to give the diet a try.

The diet has been extremely difficult for me, but totally worth it. Within a week, my skin was looking clearer than it had in a year. Now, after five weeks, it is still clear, and only getting better with each passing day. I can't express the relief that I feel. This is it - this is the answer. Maybe not for everyone, but I sincerely believe that it will help most people with acne.

There is a lot of information about this diet online. Just google search "low glycemic load" or "low glycemic index", and you will find a ton of information. One really good article can be found on www.mercola.com by searching for "acne".

Please, check it out, give it a try - it's worth it.

I just started doing this same thing yesterday. I used to get around 2-4 servings of veggies per WEEK. Was CONSTANTLY eating grains. Now, I'm eating tons of veggies, getting my fruits and doing it right. No gluten! I feel pretty good, too. Even if it doesn't clear acne, it is still good for me.

Thanks for your post! I'm just now trying to learn more about healthy eating in regards to acne. I feel so incredibly desperate now that I've exhausted every prescription known to man. My acne is mild now...but I have a lot of scars. I just want to give it my very best effort, so I'm trying to get down some of the basics. I googled last night about this diet...but I was still overwhelmed.

I went to the store this morning and loaded up on fruits and veggies that as best as I could tell are "good" for acne.

How did you begin the switch??

Thanks for your post! I'm just now trying to learn more about healthy eating in regards to acne. I feel so incredibly desperate now that I've exhausted every prescription known to man. My acne is mild now...but I have a lot of scars. I just want to give it my very best effort, so I'm trying to get down some of the basics. I googled last night about this diet...but I was still overwhelmed.

I went to the store this morning and loaded up on fruits and veggies that as best as I could tell are "good" for acne.

How did you begin the switch??

Ive been doing this diet along with an anti candida diet. basically you just gotta start doing it. One day just know what your going to make for the whole day and then plan out the week with foods. I havent touched bread, dairy, pasta, any high carbs in over 2 weeks now and theres a big difference in my skin its really the way to do it.

Get supplements too though, in conjunction with the diet you will get all the vitamins and minerals you need to fight off acne. I take B50 and calcium and magnesium at the moment with a yeast fend pill.

Good luck!

I envy you guys. There are just somethings in my diet that I can't just sever all ties with. For example, I'm Asian and it's really hard for me to just cut out rice completely from my diet, not to mention I don't know how to cook lol.

I envy you guys. There are just somethings in my diet that I can't just sever all ties with. For example, I'm Asian and it's really hard for me to just cut out rice completely from my diet, not to mention I don't know how to cook lol.

It depends how much you want clear skin.

I went from.... 18 years of being a slightly overweight teen on a 'normal' western diet drinking alcohol twice a week and fast food every other day..... to... >>>> no milk>>>>no dairy>>>no wheat>>>no yeast>>no gluten>>>no grains>>>no sugar>>>low G.I.>>>no nightshades>>>no red meat>>>no soy>>>no fruit until I was 100% clear ( and 2.5 stone lighter).

For me personally, sacrificing luxury food for a better way of life was a no brainer.

(you probably thinking what does he eat???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!)

..........Chicken, fresh salads + Olive oil.

Its hard but worth it.

Oh don't get me wrong, I've done quite a few things to change my diet. I've cut milk/dairy/sugar/soy completely from my diet, been about 3 years since. It's just that, it's very hard for me to change my diet completely because of my racial background and also because of school/job. It still really shouldn't be an excuse though. I completely agree with what you said though, it's really about how much you want clear skin.