Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jksl

is it necessary to eat your veggies with fat?

I'd like your opinion on this one. We all know vegetables are sources of fat-soluble vitamins A,E, and K. Now, do you guys think it's necessary to drizzle that olive oil on your salad or have your veggies with some meat? Would the residual oils in the vegetables be enough or should we add more oil/fat to make sure we get those A,E, and K vitamins in our system?

So, when i'm juicing veggies, should i add some kind of oil to it?

The studies I've read suggest that, yes, it is best to eat your veggies with a fat source.

You don't have to drown your broccoli in oil to get the benefits, but getting 5-7 grams of fat with each serving of veggies might be a good idea.

I'd keep drizzling olive oil on the veggies unless you want to evaluate each serving for it's fat content. If there's avocado on your salad your probably don't need to, but otherwise I'd keep it up. Is there some reason you don't want to?

I wouldn't go overboard with adding olive oil or any other oil for that matter to each meal. Regardless of health benefits that 'a little' olive oil can have each day i think peoples ideas of moderation are alittle off the mark. All oils are still to an extent a refined/processed food item so to be honest you would be better off combining you vegetables with some meat for the fat source and saving the olive oil or better yet macadamia nut oil for maybe one meal per day.

I wouldn't go overboard with adding olive oil or any other oil for that matter to each meal. Regardless of health benefits that 'a little' olive oil can have each day i think peoples ideas of moderation are alittle off the mark. All oils are still to an extent a refined/processed food item so to be honest you would be better off combining you vegetables with some meat for the fat source and saving the olive oil or better yet macadamia nut oil for maybe one meal per day.

People's misunderstanding of what moderation is aside, I think that vegetable oil should go into a different category of processed food than sugar or flour. Sugar and flour literally contribute no essential nutrients to the diet (flour is fortified, but that's it); oil, on the other hand, contributes healthful fatty acids and aids in the absorption of nutrients elsewhere in the meal. The added fat also lowers glycemic index and adds to satiety. Therefore, I don't think that you need to limit olive oil to one meal a day.

I'd keep drizzling olive oil on the veggies unless you want to evaluate each serving for it's fat content. If there's avocado on your salad your probably don't need to, but otherwise I'd keep it up. Is there some reason you don't want to?

I don't mind having my salads with EVOO (though i prefer them raw).

What i don't want to do is add oil to my green/veggie smoothies. It just seems weird to do that and i don't know anyone who adds oil to their green smoothies either. I think it's just as weird as adding oil to a green supplement drink (i don't know anyone who does that either). But, if it's more beneficial to add some kind of oil to these drinks, i might just start doing so.

In terms of value to ones health many oils have their benfits but the fact remains that the majority of American's, Australian's and other western countries are overweight and generally when oil is added to their food it is amognst a plethora of other refined items. My post really has very little to disagree with as it isnt subject to opinion rather it is fact, oil is a refined food item and is not something which should be classified as a staple to every meal.

The people in this thread are talking about using olive oil to dash over salads and vegetables. In that kind of context, I don't think that oils need to be actively avoided in the diet. If we were talking about eating deep-fried doughnuts and chasing them with lattes, I could see your point. Your post would be more relevant for an average, un-health conscious American or other Westerner.

What i don't want to do is add oil to my green/veggie smoothies. It just seems weird to do that and i don't know anyone who adds oil to their green smoothies either. I think it's just as weird as adding oil to a green supplement drink (i don't know anyone who does that either). But, if it's more beneficial to add some kind of oil to these drinks, i might just start doing so.

Actually if you read a lot the green smoothie thread, a lot of people add oil or oily foods like flax seed oil, flax seed, nut butter, avocado...

In terms of value to ones health many oils have their benfits but the fact remains that the majority of American's, Australian's and other western countries are overweight and generally when oil is added to their food it is amognst a plethora of other refined items.

We don't tend to be the typical overweight westerners here. And it was pretty clear the OP isn't.

Adding on to what alternativista said, if you add like a tablespoon of coconut oil to your smoothie, it doesn't change the taste. It's what I do. You can also add almonds or whole milk yogurt to increase fat content.