Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
djvampyre

Success Update on Regimine! (Also questions)

Hello,

Just wanted to say that after a month and a half on the regimine now I am very pleased with the results. I initially had a really bad break out with several eraser head sized red cysts that formed on my forehead cheeks and chin during my first two weeks of treatment. After that initial phase those cysts shrank and began to fade. I have only had three or four very VERY tiny pimples since then that came and went within the span of a single day. After I gave up Accutane due to fear of the continuation of my side effects I had lost all hope until I found this site and decided to give it "one more shot". My girlfriend is extremely happy with the results as am I. I have to admit I didn't expect this to work at all because it sounds so simple but I am now in a state of shock and awe that it did work and continues to work.

Side effects: None other than occasional facial dryness and flaking (resolved with occasional moisturizer... I know I'm supposed to use it everytime but I'm so oily I just don't flake even with heavy BP usage), Occasional lip dryness (using Blistex COmplete Moisture), Occasional facial redness (resolved with a good sun tan).

Questions:

1) Any long term bad stuff going to happen to me if I continue to apply these large amounts of BP to my face. I find myself wanting to use more and more as time goes by just to be safe it continues working it's magic.

2) Old acne flare-ups and those cysts I mentioned earlier in the "purging period" have left some red marks on my face that refuse to fade as my previous "untreated red marks" had faded in the past. Don't know why they are taking so long now with BP usage... anything I can do to help the red marks fade faster over time. I'm very patient but I don't want to do chem peels or anything like that.

3.) My current bottle of treatment is running low. I re-ordered allready but whats the best way to get as much cream out of that bottle until it arrives in a week? My brothers wedding is coming up in a few days and I can't afford to have it run out totally then break out before the ceremony. I know I will too because the only time I got even my two tiny pimples over the last month was when I got blitzed at the bar and passed out without doing the regimine! LOL

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Acne.org! This site has literally renewed my enjoyment of life after reaching the pits of despair with Accutane.

Hi,

I'm so happy to hear the Regimen is working well for you!

As for longterm safety of bp, please read here: http://www.acne.org/faq.html#cancer

For those stubborn one's that the Regimen isn't preventing right now, try spot treating at the first sign of a pimple with the AHA lotion. The AHA lotion may also help red marks fade a bit quicker.

And here's how to get all of the product out of the bottle: http://www.acne.org/faq.html#bottle

Hope that helps.

The same thing happened with cysts happened to me in the first week or 2, which is why I stopped using it. Your post makes me want to try it over again and stick to it. :surprised:

and another update since it's been a month.

Still breakout free! I'm trying out some methods recommended to me by other users to reduce red marks and old scars. It's having a positive effect but that's icing on the cake at this point!

I did have a single small white head mysteriously form on the inside of a nostril.... !? That's a first for me. It seems like the bacteria has nowhere left to hide other than the farthest reaches of my face that the BP doesn't touch. Not a day goes by that I don't wish I had found this regimen before poisoning myself with accutane. I'd still have a good healthy left knee... *sigh*

If you are wondering I took Accutane for about 43 days from January to Feb and had to discontinue due to joint and eye side effects (unfortunately my left knee joint seems to still be suffering 4 months post accutane). A few weeks after discontinuing my acne came roaring back to old levels as well prompting a massive internet search that lead me here. My flare up continued to rage until about a month into the Acne.org regimen. Everything calmed down and I stayed that way. I haven't had a clear face since I was 13 years old!

Djvampyre, you really just made me feel positive and determined to stick it out with the regiman. I am in about day 12 and really feel like I just want to give up, Ive had a pretty bad breakout and my skin is so dang red and flaky but im hoping all that will soon subside as my skin gets use to it. So when did you start seeing some positive results? Would you say your acne was moderate to severe? The reason I ask is because I feel over these past few months I went from moderate to almost severe and hope that the regiman will still help me out. Im a bit scared of taking the plunge into doing accutane so im doing the regiman. My derm did prescribe me doxy 100mg twice a day, which im hoping is still ok to take while on the regiman. Again great to hear your success. I hope I can pull through and continue so I can see some positive results over time.

Well I'll be honest with you I had a terrible reaction to the regimen the entire first month (well it was more like 40 days or so). Here's the whole deal.

I have some scarring from my up and down bouts with Mino, Doxy, Retina-A over the years nothing worked long term (I'm 28 been fighting acne since I was around 14). Mino had little effect and wrecked my GI tract. Doxy was easy on my GI tract despite intense stomach cramps and it worked almost 6 months then came roaring back as the bacteria became immune. Derm wanted to try Bactrim I think next and I said no. Also said no to accutane. and that was all she wrote...

Few years later at age 27 I basically said to myself that this would never fizzle out and I was getting so bad I'd try "ANYTHING". Threw myself into the arms of Accutane. Took it for around 43 days. Discontinued due to severe eye dryness and joint pain. You know the feeling you get when you've been up 24 hours straight with no sleep and your eyes feel so itchy that you HAVE to close them. Well Accutane will make that a 24/7 reality (complete with the illusion of tiredness due to your eyes wanting to sleep) even if you use the best drops and ointments money can buy. Sometimes it can even be permenant.

Everyone's different (you'll hear that a lot). My joint pain went away after discontinuing then it came roaring back. Feels like my left knee has been eaten away from inside out. Still don't know if it's permenant or not yet but I don't have a good feeling. Accutane is like playing Russian Roulette for a CHANCE at clear skin plain and simple. You have a "good chance" of coming out a winner sure the stuff can work a miracle on people orrrrrr.... ending up like me and countless others that have long term side effects and the same old acne again to show for it. Don't make the same desperation mistake I did unless you have terrible disfiguring acne covering every square inch of your face.

SO on to the happier story. When I started the regimen I was still broken out after my failure with Accutane. This was my "normal" level of breakout though. 2 or 3 large red cysts with scar potential. 6 - 8 average sized red zits in my "trouble spots" each taking turns going into whitehead mode. I used a sterilized needle almost daily to gently lance and milk large whiteheads it was routine. I don't know if you'd call that moderate or severe but I was a very unhappy camper. Found this site. Took a chance on some product. Followed the videos to the letter.

After 2 weeks I QUICKLY developed 4 large red cysts about the size of an eraser head. It looked like my face had declared all out war on me after all this "abuse". Massive scar potential and no way to lyse them no white head nothing... I had no options. Man they burned and itched like crazy too. My face was red and flaky the whole time even with moisturizer. I'm Italian so I'm normaly very oily and tan. This made me look sunburnt red for a good month or so even with proper moisturizing and scaling back the BP.

I started to see results around the middle of month #2. Don't get me wrong my face still looked like a warzone BUT it wasn't getting any worse and that was a major turning point in the battle there. Gave me the motivation to continue instead of throwing this guys tube of goo into the garbage can like so many others. Gradually after that "stabilization" my skin acomodated to the heavy BP usage.

The redness went DOWN over the course of June (and it's still not totally gone) but it went down. More importantly going into June I still hadn't developed and new cysts or medium sized zits... and my NORM was a new cyst every 10 days or so + 4 - 6 mediums. Now... it was all quiet though aside from insignif little whiteheads. Big time morale booster. The cysts left red marks that have still not faded but I'm working on that. SO if you are in month one it'll probably get worse then hopefully it reaches a stable point like mine did. I really don't know if I was mild or moderate probably overall I was moderate but I considered the cysts that I developed on the regimen to be pretty severe and maybe even cortisone injection worthy. My girlfriend is polite about it when "this sort of thing" happens but even she couldn't hide the horror this time LOL.

So you'll hear it a million times. Everyone's skin adapts differently and patience is an ally. The more BP layers you can tolerate on your face over the months of this battle the better in my opinion. When you go to war with acne like we have to every day you want to leave no place for it to survive. If you flake use that moisturizer with wreckless abandon it helps out and won't clog I say that as a person who HATES face moisturizers. I can't tell if yours is an allergic reaction or not but it does happen and it gets worse not better to be aware of that if it is allergic.

How can I be sure it's THIS that is working for me? There will be occasional days were I get so drunk with my buddies that I straight up forget to wash my face and forget to put BP on the entire day. Guess what I wake up with the very next morning? Whiteheads in my trouble spots or the rare small red bump. Remember the white head up in my nostril (yes gross) but it's literally like the bacteria is trying to find a safe refuge from the BP.

As you would hear if you do accutane... FLUIDS drink them as much as possible! Blistex Complete Moisture for chapped lips. Get some eye gel without perservatives if you develop dry eyes. I also take a B vitamin with zinc to help with the stress of medschool and hyaluronic acid/chondroitin to help rebuild my poor knee. =(

Hopefully your type of acne will be sensitive to the repeated BP usage (twice a day every single day) and it will eventually give up the ghost. Take care to follow the washing instructions and be gentle to your face. Pat dry don't overheat it. You seriously have to baby your face until you acomodate. Good luck man! Don't give up the fight keep trying treatments if this one isn't for you. Think of were I'd be if I gave up after the "Accutane miracle cure" didn't work out @ age 28... I'd be screwed.

Sorry for the long rant.

Djvampyre, I honestly truly appreciated you responding in detail it was no rant at all. :) If anything it just motivated me to keep on trying to stick it out thank you thank you. I really feel I just need to practice patience better and be reasonable with my expectations. I guess being a girl who more recently has experienced acne at its worst I feel at a low point. I had mild acne here and there from about starting age 16-20 but nothing that ever really bothered me. I am now 21 and suddenly over these past few months my face wreaked havoc on me. But I know there is hope and Im not gonna give up quite yet. Or go straight for the accutane, as you said I dont have terrible disfiguring acne that completely covers my face and I dont want to make the desperation jump yet if I dont have to. I actually really mainly get it on my cheeks. I really hope I can push through with the regiman. Im sorry to hear about all the trouble you went through with accutane but really happy for you on your success with the regiman. Well again thank you very much for sharing your story with me and responding to my questions.

Yeah I still have scarring on my cheeks from getting bad outbreaks there from the ages of 21 till starting the regimen so I feel your pain. Just try sticking with it a bit longer and make sure you are following a twice a day routine of gentle clensing (I use only Cetaphil facewash and warm shower water rather than hot now), gentle pat drying, application, and moisturizing with no breaks or disruptions. I'm still clear to this day and I'm pretty sure it was the routine BP usage because I took a 4 day break from it over vacation just recently and sure enough I developed 3 whiteheads in my old trouble spots (my first in awhile) a few days after slacking off. Acne doesn't mess around. =) Anyway I hope things are going well!