Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zizek

How can a guy not get "caught" wearing makeup?

I was thinking of wearing makeup on certain occasions to cover up redmarks.

I'm a male, so ... I don't want anyone to know I'm wearing makeup since that would be mega awkward. In fact, I'm actually incredibly afraid of that happening.

Specifically, I'm afraid that there are certain situations that will make it obvious I wear some. I don't really play many sports, however I would guess that I probably can't wear any then since sweat would probably make it ... melt off or something of the sort. Then the problem becomes that if I wear makeup normally, then I dont because of physical exercise, people are going to notice the difference and know I'm wearing something. Afterwards, I would imagine harassment would ensue.

My question is twofold for ladies or for the men (whom, by the way, I quite respect) that wear makeup:

1) are there any situations other than exercise that I should be aware of that can make makeup noticeable?

2) are there any general suggestions that anyone could provide as to how to avoid such situations from happening?

Thank you all. I really appreciate all the support on this site.

Maybe you should just get like a tinted moisturizer! Cover girl makes one called CG Smoothers that I really like.. It may not give you full coverage but it will def. even things out and since its a lotion it looks like your not wearing makeup

well be careful of how much moisturizer you put when wearing makeup, moisturizer makes my face white so when i put concealer (which was slightly a shade darker than my skin tone, so you should think of that too) i looked slightly dark yet glowing at the same time! it was weird, so you have to remember to use less moisturizer and get a concealer that is the right skin tone

don't do it, you'll have a lighter face than the rest of your body and you will look ridiculous, because you're a guy. But if it bothers you thattt bad to have acne then go for it i mean it's ur call but that's my opinion. like they said just get a tinted moisturizer.

hxxp://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=139645&catid=21503&aid=337953&aparam=eucerin_redness_relief_d&CAWELAID=61294916

^^ that stuff has green tint to it... red+green = brown but it's expensive. At least that way though you wouldn't be wearing makeup...

I agree with the others, make up is noticable-you put it on and it looks ok at first then it kinda gets weird as the day goes on (like if you have a blemish it kinda clumps around the spot and sometimes you have a line where you didn't blend it well enough) Even us girls that have been wearing it for years can't get it to look perfect.

Go with a tinted mousterizer , it evens you out but does not look like a coat of paint on your face.

I don't recommend makeup on a guy, it may be harsh to hear, but instead, try to man-up, lift your chest little bit when you walk and avoid staring at the ground, basically act confident even if you're not.

IF you're going to use makeup, i'd get some kind of concealer, instead of putting makeup on your entire face. that way you can just put some over the red zits.

you just gotta make sure you find one that fits your skin tone.

it bothers me sooooooo much when girls have that line along their jawline where they didnt blend the makeup and their neck is a completely different color. looks sooo bad

IF you're going to use makeup, i'd get some kind of concealer, instead of putting makeup on your entire face. that way you can just put some over the red zits.

you just gotta make sure you find one that fits your skin tone.

it bothers me sooooooo much when girls have that line along their jawline where they didnt blend the makeup and their neck is a completely different color. looks sooo bad

Try to be more sympathetic, you have no idea how difficult it is for some women to find the right color. It's twice as hard for the women who are really fair or really dark. Cut us some slack. I try to blend correctly, and have gotten really good over time but if I ever change colors and get the line I would hope others would be a little sympathetic especially knowing what I have already told you. :)

Edit: I was prompted by this message to go out and buy a lighter shade of Revlon Colorstay, I bought Ivory and I normally wear Buff. I am pretty nervous about the color matching my skin, because I don't have a backup foundation for tomorrow. If the color is too white, I will have to bite the bullet until I can return it during lunch!

I would honestly just tell you to use a tinted moisturizer..

if you do decide to use a cover up or foundation some things that will make it less and hopefully not noticeable is to make sure your skins moisturized first, if your skins dry and flakey the make up with DEFINITELY show. Also after you put on any liquid make up I always take a tissue and lightly wipe any extra off, then finish with a powder...

I second the mineral makeup suggestion. And practice applying because it's all in the brush and the application. And if people ask, say it's zinc powder, good for skin and a sunscreen.

No, do it!

you'll have loads more confidence - a tinted moistursier is a gd recomendation - i didnt think of that, as I never use it, foundation for me :) It will even out your skin - and that will be indectable.

Or just use a small amount of concealer that matches the exact colour of ur skin - go to MAC and get them to colour match u. And just put it on the odd spot.

The more make-up u put on, the more 'made up' you will look. So less is more, if u wana b natural .....but thats kinda obvious!

I think people have given you some good advice and suggestions. I would also agree that a tinted moisturiser or mineral makeup could be a good option, but read on for what I think would be ideal for ALL men...

Personally the tinted moisturisers that I like are Smashbox Sheer tint - it's oil free so good for oily skin and the shades/colour match is forgiving or you could try Vichy Lumineuse - go for the matte option. With regards to minerals I would suggest Bare Essentuals or Philosophy Supernatural Airbrushed canvas.

If you want another tip I would recommend using a primer underneath any makeup and allowing it to set for at least 2-3 minutes before applying any more products - Philosophy The Present would be a good one to try, it's oil free and has healing/protecting properties or Laura Geller Spackle, again oil free.

The one product that I would HIGHLY recommend and would be the least detectable of all is Philosophy The Supernatural Poreless Flawless. It is oil free, has SPF 15, works as a primer - I would recommend that you use JUST THIS and nothing else in the way of cosmetics. It comes in one shade suits all from the palest skin (like mine) to very dark skin. Don't be alarmed at the peach colour when you squeeze it from the tube - it really is invisible on the skin! It won't cover all your blemishes and acne but it will even out skin tone and smooth everything out. It will take away some of the redness. It's an amazing product, a little goes a long way and I've never used anyting like it before - and believe me I am a cosmetic junkie!

Men's cosmetics is an ever growing industry - YSL make one the worlds most famous/best selling under eye concealer, Touche Eclat and recently they have brought out a men's version which is selling very well.

Another thing you could try would be a moisturiser with a tanning hint in it which gradually builds up over time. Boots No7 do a good one in their men's range, as do the L'Oreal men's range. You could build it up over several days and you will look like you have a natural healthy tan which may help your confidence.

Let us know how you get on.

Rosie x

I use a bit of concealer on spots and no one has ever noticed. It'd be very hard to notice a tiny bit of concealer if you get the right shade and blend it in nicely. You definitely don't want to put make up over your enitre face because I think that would be pretty obvious to everyone. But there's nothing wrong with putting on make up in my opinion.

i would use just concealer on certain spots not foundation all over ur face. but if you want to i would use a mineral makeup or powder foundation and just buff it into your skin with a kabuki makeup brush.

I'm a guy who used to use some makeup. It really helped with my confidence in earlier high school years. You just have to be really careful about it, and be ready to brush it off if somebody does notice. When I was using makeup, only two people ever (at least openly) noticed. One was a close friend, another guy, who sympathized, having used some makeup in the past himself. The other was my girlfriend (who I'm still with, by the way) - unavoidable, since we were in such close proximity all the time. I tried to throw an excuse at her, but quickly caved and admitted it. She was very understanding.

In any case, I second everyone who discourages you from full-coverage makeup. Just using a concealer can be frustrating, but it's your best bet. I'm assuming your acne is mild; if it isn't, you might want to avoid the makeup altogether. Also, putting makeup over active acne spots is not only a bad idea, it looks awful.

A word on something: using makeup as a guy can be a dangerous road to go down. My acne has always been mild, but covering up a few or several spots in a convincing way can become extremely time consuming. I used to take forever leaving the house, stuck in the bathroom for god knows how long with a mirror up against the natural light of the window, trying to get the spots covered enough so they weren't noticeable and not too covered so people could spot the makeup. Just don't get too far into it.

To comment on situations where it's noticeable: if you have a girlfriend, especially one with some acne, chances are she's going to notice. Girls know what it looks like when you're wearing makeup over a blemish, at least when you're within inches of each other. So be prepared for this, and the conversation that's going to have to follow.

Okay, this is getting to be quite long. In conclusion, the best single-product acne covering solution I've encounter is Paula's Choice cream concealer. Nothing came close. The problem is, it's only sold in a very limited number of shades, so you have to get lucky there (I did).

Good luck man.

I agree with the tinted moisturizer route. Get one with SPF in it like Neutrogena Healthy Skin (i think that's what its called, the one wtih SPF 30). You only need a little bit so it looks more natural and doesn't make you super flawless (because if you look super flawless then of course ppl will notice the difference).....but at least evens you out and you are less blotchy and red. It's like saying," yo my skin is not perfect but i'm still decent". It makes you look like your breakouts are there BUT they are on their way to healing since they are not as red (even though they are new zits)

And if anyone is so anal to notice you got something on your face (doubt anyone will be THAT crazy though)...here's the script for you.... "I recently started using a new acne med and my derm said I should use sunscreen....this is the brand that I got from his office/this is the brand that i dont break out on" if they persist you can just bulls*** and be like the sunscreen ingredient causes it to have a light tint.