Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A843134

Salicylic Acid effective against blackheads?

I tried 15% mandelic acid serum from Garden of Wisdom and my blackheads are still in my nose. I use alpha hydrox moisturizer regularly and it doesnt help my blacksheads either.

I saw Dan sells 2% salicylic acid so I did some browsing and found several websites sell serum that are 3%, 5%, 8% salicylic acid. Any of you guys tried these serums to fight your blackheads?

How long did you use the mandelic?

You might try alternating between mandelic and salicylic every 3 weeks or so .... and I would start with a 2% salicylic acid product. Paula's Choice makes a very good one, and so does Diana Yvonne.

I tried 15% mandelic acid serum from Garden of Wisdom and my blackheads are still in my nose. I use alpha hydrox moisturizer regularly and it doesnt help my blacksheads either.

I saw Dan sells 2% salicylic acid so I did some browsing and found several websites sell serum that are 3%, 5%, 8% salicylic acid. Any of you guys tried these serums to fight your blackheads?

Which alpha hydrox moisturizer are you using? Some of their products (not all) contain pore clogging ingredients. It might be contributing to your blackheads if you are using one of the products with problematic ingredients.

If you use BHA for blackheads on your nose make sure that the product doesn't contain alcohol.

Alcohol doesn't only dry out your skin (which in turn leads to more dead skin cells clogging your pores) but it also dries out the sebum plugs in your pores turning them into hard wax plugs that are really difficult to remove.

If your skin's like mine and blackheads are your only problem, I've noticed that less is more. Be very gentle, because if your skin becomes irritated you're back to square one.

I've been using 2% SA for nearly a month now. My type of acne is mainly comedogenic (clogged pores/blackheads on my cheeks/nose area and t-zone/forehead, and some non-inflamed pimples)

So far, things I've noticed:

-Smoother skin overall (feels great)

-I still have and get non-inflamed pimples but SA cut the number of them by like 70% or more.

-Some of the sebum plugs came to the surface after about two weeks of use so that I could actually get them out of the pores, however there are still tons left that seem to be unaffected by the SA.

-I'm not too sure yet , but I think some of my red marks from when I tried BP/no treatments and had breakouts are fading a little faster.

Overall, I like the SA. It's not amazing, but the smoothness feels good and since some of the clogged pores are doing a little better, it's definitely a step in the right direction. Since you've already used mandelic (I've never used it myself) I don't know if SA's effects are what you're going for...

My next step is to try adding some jojoba oil into the mix.

I also think that I'm going to cut out sugar as much as possible, and *eventually* eat mostly gluten-free meals, but that will definitely take some getting used to. Since I eat a large amount of sugary things and bread, it really does make sense that my skin acts the way that it does..