Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gobucks2002

Progress..........the WHOLE picture....and its a good picture!

Hey all!

Every day I look in the mirror and analyze my scarring. I have spent the past two years trying to rectify the damage that acne caused to my (until approx. age 22) beautiful skin.

After each procedure by my Plastic Surgeon, I could tell small differences. But, when one 'section' of skin would start to look better post procedure, I would dwell on all the others that seemed to stand out like a sore thumb. My family/boyfriend/friends would all say it was looking better after each procedure. But I never saw it.

I had all types of scarring: ice pick, rolling etc mostly on my cheeks and chin. I started off on the Obagi Nu-Derm and saw some results. I had many excisions done and walked around with stitches hanging out of my face for a week at a time....(twice). I cried. I have had several ice pick scars crossed...repeatedly. I have had a crying breakdown at my Plastic Surgeons office. I have been dutifully applying my Retin A .1 nightly. I have had my skin peel off in the middle of work, flake off during meals etc. I wanted to give up. I suffered through a three layer blue peel with a measly 3 aspirin to tolerate the procedure. I wear sunscreen daily and hats when in the sun. But, I kept on. I read this message board faithfully and drew strength off the positive.

However, after working towards the goal of improvement, I somehow lost the mental picture of what I used to look like.

This evening, I was going through old pics on my computer while uploading ones from hiking today. I am SO AMAZED at the difference. Blown up, HUGE, on my screen was a picture of me at the beach almost three years ago. It looked awful! And you could see the ice pick scars around my nose from far away! I had hyperpigmentation from old scars and red marks from old acne. My makeup settled into the craters and looked like whitespots. Then I moved through the pics........and to today's pics. My skin is, in my opinion, a good 75% better. It is smoother, even toned....and I would dare to say: supple. The ice picks (up close on digital 'film) look like medium sized pores. The rolling scars and others that were excised are mostly gone.

I just wanted to post this. It is so easy as I trudge through this LONG process to want to give up, to see no difference, to want to cry and hide, and all the other things I have done/wanted to do. But, today, there is major change. Huge. And I finally see it all.

I wanted to post this in the scar forum because we are all in the same boat and could use some encouragement. :) I feel blessed that, today, I see the changes. Some small, some huge. But all better than when I began.

Hugs to all!

(PS.....I keep trying to upload pics to this site and all it tells me is that my pic is too big and to contact an administrator...........)

That's awesome! :clap: Thanks for sharing. I'm sure your story will encourage a lot of people here who are down about their scarring.

so happy for you and especially pleased you're able to profoundly appreciate the improvement. thanks for spreading a little positivity.

everyone he is telling the truth.... il also say that I saw a pic of me nearly 2 years ago and today after many many different procedures and its improved so so much... pls people dont give up.. keep at it! keep treating your scars .. they WILL go

Thanks everyone! And thanks to Mr. Matt who messaged me how to upload pics to my gallery.

The photos are uploaded and pending review. I posted several before and after to show different lighting. I also posted a couple from the blue peel. And yes, I cried some of the dye off my face:(. (Mind you, I have passed kidney stones with NO meds except OTC's. It HURT (the peel).

Oh- and I bumped into someone I haven't seen in about a year today. The first comment she made was about my skin and how good it looked. It has been a LONG time coming.....and a BLESSING.

I will keep trudging the happy road!;)

Hey all...

The pics are now uploaded to my album. The one taken on the beach shows the scaring best (pre procedures). The one where I am on the right (in a bright yellow shirt) is also an older one.

All the other pics are taken in different lighting, but you can see the improvements pretty clearly.

:)

Keep on, Keeping on!

congrats! the yellow shirt and beach pic really showed your scarring in normal sun conditions, your newer pictures you cant even see any scarring! over the course of your treatments, how much % do you think you improved?

(All of these, In My Opinion...and from comments from fam/friends:)

My chin: 80-90% improvement (most of the benefit was seen with excisions/retin-a)

Left cheek: 75% improvement ...100% in a few areas (most benefit from crossing/excisions)

Right cheek: Anywhere from 60-80% improvement. The right cheek had the worst scaring from the getgo..... (most benefit from crossing/excisions)

The retin-a has helped to shallow out my deeper scars that have not been excised. Granted, I have been applying it nightly for over a year and a half....have not missed a single night. The blue peel really gave my face healthy, more even skin. It helped most with some hyperpigmentation that was left and helping to blend crossed areas into the surrounding areas.

The PS wants to do another blue peel....but quite honestly, I refuse to go through the 45 minutes of hell. So, thinking about a VI peel with Salicylic Acid booster and a few more crosses.

:) As you can see from the first pic (on the beach) to the most recent from May- there has been A LOT of change. So I continue on.....

;)

(All of these, In My Opinion...and from comments from fam/friends:)

My chin: 80-90% improvement (most of the benefit was seen with excisions/retin-a)

Left cheek: 75% improvement ...100% in a few areas (most benefit from crossing/excisions)

Right cheek: Anywhere from 60-80% improvement. The right cheek had the worst scaring from the getgo..... (most benefit from crossing/excisions)

The retin-a has helped to shallow out my deeper scars that have not been excised. Granted, I have been applying it nightly for over a year and a half....have not missed a single night. The blue peel really gave my face healthy, more even skin. It helped most with some hyperpigmentation that was left and helping to blend crossed areas into the surrounding areas.

The PS wants to do another blue peel....but quite honestly, I refuse to go through the 45 minutes of hell. So, thinking about a VI peel with Salicylic Acid booster and a few more crosses.

:) As you can see from the first pic (on the beach) to the most recent from May- there has been A LOT of change. So I continue on.....

;)

thats awesome. another successful scar treatment! just hearing that gives me a lot of hope. my scars are pretty shallow, a few are deep but.. man sticking to a regimen for a year and a half is pretty crazy! im really impatient haha. good luck on your future treatment. update us!