Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Episode5

Alright, something is seriously wrong here...

I could type up a several hour long read regarding my problems with acne throughout the years, but I'm going to refrain from that and just get you up to speed on what my problem is now...

About a month ago, I flew down to Florida to help my mother pack her things so she could move back to Michigan. I also went there to visit an allergist since I've been having quite a few health concerns. Before I left, my skin had quite a few red marks left from the tiny and sometimes large zits that I would frequently get and I had blackheads all over my nose. That's basically what my skin was like for the last 2-3 years.

Upon visiting the allergist, I made out a fairly long list of all the symptoms I had, which included acne. As he went through the list, he basically shut down any kind of hope I had of finding out what was wrong. He mentioned allergies wouldn't be causing my acne (despite what everyone else says) and checked off the majority of the symptoms I had on my list. I left the office extremely depressed and I thought I was losing my mind.

However, during the next following weeks while I was there in Florida, I started to notice a huge change. I started to get a tan, which not only helped cover up any dark spots but they eventually disappeared completely. Some of my health problems (which includes shortness of breath, white coated tongue, tiredness, and a fast heart-rate) began to slightly alleviate and I felt like I had more energy. My skin was also just starting to look amazing for the first time in years. Even the blackheads that used to cover my nose were gone and my pores looked a lot smaller. I should also mention that it wasn't as oily either.

Just as it looked like things were turning around for me, I eventually had to go back to Michigan. Two or three days after I returned, it seemed like ALL of my symptoms came back and my skin started to break out and look terrible once again. It has been about a week since then (I returned on the 23rd) and it looks like nothing had changed at all...still breaking out.

Summary

Skin was pretty terrible in Michigan.

Went to Florida and skin started to clear up and look great.

Any other health concerns seemed to be subsiding.

Came back to Michigan and all of my symptoms returned.

Now, I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on. Vitamins and supplements don't seem to have any effect whatsoever and the allergist tells me it wasn't allergies...

Considering all of this, does anyone have an idea they could throw me for what is possibly going on?

you said vitamins don't do anything, but I can't help but think you weren't getting enough of whatever vitamin you usually get from the sun (I forget what it is, but you can get it in lotions I think.) Or it could be something to do with some physical abnormality concerning the ability of your body to operate properly in different temperatures. I assume you've gone to doctors about this already. Maybe it's a combination of deficiency in key vitamins and something else like poor diet (too much junkfood or something), poor hygiene (no offense, just listing possibilities), or just a poor immune system? That would explain the bacteria on the tongue and the acne (I think). Perhaps you should exercise lightly every day and gradually increase the intensity of the workouts to try to work on heart and lung strength. Maybe go on walks and increase distance and speed until you're going on mild jogs/runs? It sounds like you're just not spending enough time out and about, maybe. Dunno, i'm no doctor, just rattling off things that it could, by some stretch of the imagination, be. Good luck with whatever it is, I know your pain concerning the offcolor tongue only mine isn't entirely coated, just in the back. And it may or may not have something to do with the mouthwash I use. Hope you find out soon and get over it, mhm.

It could be depression/stress. Theoretically, stress could affect acne(and all of those other things). So maybe when you went to Florida you were more relaxed and there was no stress and now that you are back in Michigan the stress of your mundane life is back.

I find I break out horribly when the weather is cold. Do you have sensitive skin? Is it often cold in Michigan?

It is often cold or chilly in Michigan. Right now it's hovering around the 60's. And yes, my skin is somewhat sensitive. I'm not sure if it's really sensitive though since I can be out in the sun for quite some time and it doesn't seem to break out from it.

you said vitamins don't do anything, but I can't help but think you weren't getting enough of whatever vitamin you usually get from the sun (I forget what it is, but you can get it in lotions I think.) Or it could be something to do with some physical abnormality concerning the ability of your body to operate properly in different temperatures. I assume you've gone to doctors about this already. Maybe it's a combination of deficiency in key vitamins and something else like poor diet (too much junkfood or something), poor hygiene (no offense, just listing possibilities), or just a poor immune system? That would explain the bacteria on the tongue and the acne (I think). Perhaps you should exercise lightly every day and gradually increase the intensity of the workouts to try to work on heart and lung strength. Maybe go on walks and increase distance and speed until you're going on mild jogs/runs? It sounds like you're just not spending enough time out and about, maybe. Dunno, i'm no doctor, just rattling off things that it could, by some stretch of the imagination, be. Good luck with whatever it is, I know your pain concerning the offcolor tongue only mine isn't entirely coated, just in the back. And it may or may not have something to do with the mouthwash I use. Hope you find out soon and get over it, mhm.

I believe vitamin-D is what you're referring to. As for some abnormality when it comes to temperatures, I haven't really considered that. My diet is actually pretty healthy and consists of plenty of fruits, vegetables and protein. I only drink water and I try to avoid foods with tons of sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup, so I'm not quite sure yet if there's something I'm eating (or not eating) that's screwing me up. I should mention that while I was in Florida, I ate whatever I wanted really and my skin still didn't break out.

I have considered the fact that I may have a weak immune system, but nothing I do really seems to give me the boost I need. I was told by one doctor that it was candida that was causing my symptoms so I began taking 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide with a glass of water. It cleared up my tongue quite a bit and I only really have the coating in the back of the tongue anymore.

Since I've been back in Michigan, I exercise almost everyday and yet I still feel tired throughout the day and my acne is worse. I hardly exercised at all while in Florida, unless you count moving boxes from time to time. And concerning hygiene, I like to think I take care of myself quite well, all things considered. I take a shower everyday and I'm careful not to overwash my face.

The only two things I can think of that are causing it is:

1. Lack of vitamin-D? Symptoms came back quite fast, so I'm not so sure about that...

2. Something at my house in Michigan that's attacking my system. But I really do not know what that could be.

Oh, and one other thing. I had a blood test taken sometime in January. The holistic doctor I was seeing at the time said that just about everything was normal and I was actually pretty healthy based on the test results. However, she did say that my estrogen and cortisol levels were a little on the higher side of normal and that my testosterone could be raised.

Before I could find out what I could do or take to balance these levels out, my doctor and I had some differences and we stopped seeing eachother. This happened sometime in April, before I went to Florida so now I'm pretty much stuck and confused as to what's happening with me.